| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My "new" Sho Bud....
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2012 9:47 am    

Well, new to me anyway.. I have made a deal for this beauty.. Clean as a whistle and very little playtime...
It is destined to become a 5+4, as I already have a confirmed deal on 2 additional pedals from a forumite, and that includes all attending hardware needed to install!..

It will most likely be my #1, residing in a place of honor, right alongside my sweet old Fender 800.
Got a really nice deal on the steel, and the additional 2 pedals!... Its not here yet, but I will post additional stuff when its here.. I was looking for a really good stable, IN TUNE, roundfront, but too many guys simply want too much money for old rack and barrel roundfronts.. I know they sound great, but geez.. the Super Pro mechanism is good and smooth, quiet,easy to maintain, and more stable than other Bud systems IMHO... I plan on digging up a good original Bud coil tap pickup, but if I can't find one at a realistic price, Jerry Wallace can probably set me up with a good coil tap rewind.. Anyway, nice Bud no???.. bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Ray Anderson

Jenkins, Kentucky USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2012 10:23 am    

This looks like my pro 111. That's a great find and I think you'll be hooked. I find that of all the string brands that I've tried on my Bud, I like the Cobra Coils. Happy Steelin' Very Happy
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2012 12:43 pm    

Nice score Bob.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Jeff Metz Jr.

York, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2012 10:46 pm     deal

So what did you pay? If you don't mind me asking. I love great deals in the modern times. I just got my sierra s12 Olympic 4and 5 with Nashville 400 and Goodrich vp all for 1000

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2012 4:20 am    

Actually Jeff, I paid more than you did for YOUR stuff.. You got a simply incredible deal! I mean a crazy deal... For whatever reason, Sierra steels run cheaper and are a tougher sell than other brands, but $1,000 for an S 12, a good amp and VP, in this day and age. You made out like a bandit...

Buds are a "high demand" steel guitar on the used market, and sell fast at higher prices than some other brands.. Guys like old wood I guess...
I was getting a lot of "high ball" quotes from guys that I passed on before being contacted about this one. Its not here, and although it is a "done deal", I will hold off listing the price, until I have it here.
I will post what I paid, and take some better pictures and maybe even a few awful sound clips when she arrives... bob

Allan Jirik

Wichita Falls TX
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2012 3:54 pm    

Very sweet, Bob! Happy New Year and enjoy that beauty!
Russ Tkac

Post  Posted 30 Dec 2012 7:19 pm    

Great bob! I hope it is the one. Smile
Jeff Metz Jr.

York, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2012 11:16 pm    

My deal was def good. I'm just happy that their are still great deals. They just need too present themselves more often ha ha.
Glad your excited!

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2012 3:01 am    

Russ Tkac wrote:
Great bob! I hope it is the one. Smile

Thanks Russ,, So do I.. If it plays and stays in tune, it will be the one.. Depending on the sound of course.. The later square fronts simply don't have the same sound as the old round fronts.. To me they are more "modern sounding".. However, I will make the adjustment as long as it stays in tune pretty well.
I know I will get arguments here from some of our friends, but some Buds simply do NOT stay in tune, despite great effort.. Jim Palanscar one told me something in a phone conversation I had with him several years ago concerning an old roundfront 6139 I had that simply would not stay in tune despite doing everything exactly as the experts said to do it, not to mention my own "bag of tricks".. Jim said, "Some pieces of wood simply should NOT be in a pedal steel guitar"... I agree...
I sold that nice GREAT sounding old Bud for $650 just to be rid of it...
My Fender stays in tune for months at a time, and has only broken 1 .011 in a year and a half...
My carter also never went out of tune..
All I ask for in a bud is the ability to stay in tune for a few hours at a time.. I will deal with the rest... bob