| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  4th Pedal or Franklin Pedal
Jeff Donnell

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2024 8:04 am    

I just got my new Rittenberry steel a couple days ago and getting it set up.
I had Derek install the 4th pedal but I’m not sure what the tuning is for that pedal. I use Emmons copedent.
My other steel didn’t have a 4th pedal ,but it was a 92’ Mullen. I don’t know anything about the 4th pedal,but if someone can help me.I’ll try to figure it out.
Not even sure which strings are effected because when I built the guitar and set it upright.that pedal is on the floor…..so I know I need to raise it up first.
Looking forward to getting some help.
Thanks,
Jeff D.
98' Martin D-28
Epiphone J45
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Evans LTD 500 Custom LV Lg.Cabinet
Chris Brooks

Providence, Rhode Island
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2024 8:15 am    

Jeff, I think that the Franklin pedal should raise #1 a whole tone; and raise #2 a semitone--so with the pedal engaged, strings 1 and 2 are unison with 3 and 4.

Is this right, you other steelers?
Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2024 8:31 am    

It lowers 5 & 6 to A and F# respectively. Optionally it also lowers 10 to A. Franklin invented it to trade licks with piano players. I have no use for it.
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 12 Jul 2024 9:12 am    

Franklin's copedent
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2024 9:50 am    

Chris Brooks wrote:
Jeff, I think that the Franklin pedal should raise #1 a whole tone; and raise #2 a semitone--so with the pedal engaged, strings 1 and 2 are unison with 3 and 4.

Nope. Those changes are normally on a knee lever. Some, like Tommy White, have it on pedal 4. I'm toying with the idea of moving the first and second string raises to pedal 4.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2024 10:52 am    

I bet Derek can tell you how it was set up and what the pedal is intended to do.
mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2024 11:11 am    

Sent you a pm

Infinity D-10 Justice SD-10 Judge Revelation Octal Preamp, Fractal AXE III, Fender FRFR 12
John Hyland

South Australia
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2024 1:46 pm    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
Chris Brooks wrote:

Nope. Those changes are normally on a knee lever. Some, like Tommy White, have it on pedal 4. I'm toying with the idea of moving the first and second string raises to pedal 4.

What would the purpose of this change be. ?
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 12 Jul 2024 2:28 pm    

deleted.

Last edited by Bill McCloskey on 12 Jul 2024 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 12 Jul 2024 5:01 pm    

John Hyland wrote:
Richard Sinkler wrote:
Chris Brooks wrote:

If you're asking why I would make the change, it's because I have 4 changes on my RKR, 3 on E9 and one on C6. The knee lever is a little hard to push and has a long travel. Moving the 1st and 2nd strings off that lever would make the lever a little more user friendly. Plus I can add a 2nd C6 change that I've wanted to add to that lever.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2024 8:18 pm    

To thicken the pot. Here is another thing to consider.
When setting up a (4th pedal) on a steel. Some players want the Franklin pedal next to the A pedal so they can rock their foot from A pedal to Franklin pedal, Moving the 5th and 10th string from B to A to C#, Or B to C# to A, And the 6th string G# to F# with the Franklin pedal. Just rocking their foot.

On an Emmons set up guitar they make it a Zero/0 pedal.
On a Day set up guitar they make it the 4th pedal.

Just something to consider, When adding a Franklin pedal.
Good Luck on setup and Happy Steelin.
John Hyland

South Australia
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2024 3:20 am    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
John Hyland wrote:
Richard Sinkler wrote:
Chris Brooks wrote:

If you're asking why I would make the change, it's because I have 4 changes on my RKR, 3 on E9 and one on C6. The knee lever is a little hard to push and has a long travel. Moving the 1st and 2nd strings off that lever would make the lever a little more user friendly. Plus I can add a 2nd C6 change that I've wanted to add to that lever.

Richard my query was more a musical query. What does duplicating notes already available achieve.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2024 4:31 am     Re: 4th Pedal or Franklin Pedal

Jeff Donnell wrote:
I had Derek install the 4th pedal but I’m not sure what the tuning is for that pedal. I use Emmons copedent.
My other steel didn’t have a 4th pedal ,but it was a 92’ Mullen. I don’t know anything about the 4th pedal,but if someone can help me.I’ll try to figure it out.
Not even sure which strings are effected because when I built the guitar and set it upright.that pedal is on the floor…..so I know I need to raise it up first.
Thanks,
Jeff D.

What I'm not understanding is....wouldn't asking Derek how he set up the 4th pedal get you the answer you need? Am I reading the question wrong?
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2024 6:40 am     Re: 4th Pedal or Franklin Pedal

Jon Light wrote:
Jeff Donnell wrote:
Thanks,
Jeff D.

What I'm not understanding is....wouldn't asking Derek how he set up the 4th pedal get you the answer you need? Am I reading the question wrong?

I agree with Jon. I'm curious as to why "that pedal is on the floor", on a new guitar.

~Lee
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2024 11:07 am    

Its only my opinion, and I have nothing against the "Franklin Change" on pedal 4, but I personally would put the 1st string +1 and 2nd string +1/2 on that 4th pedal.. Its a lot more useful. The string 5and 6 down a full tone is cool and all, but most guys that put it on don't use it much at all.. I have had that change on several steels over the years, and like it a lot more split on 2 separate pedals/knees.... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Tom Spaulding

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2024 5:19 am     Paul Franklin Video: P4 Pedal Options

P4 Pedal Options

Paul discusses his use of the change and Tommy White’s variation.
Derek Puckett

Cookeville Tn
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2024 8:15 am    

He finally contacted me his guitar 4th pedal is standard Franklin lowering 5-6-10 Bs to A g# to F# I have spoke with him if anyone has issues or need help with setup on our guitars they can contact me any time. Our number is my personal number if I don’t answer leave me a message and I’ll return your call.
Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2024 10:05 am    

John Hyland wrote:
Richard Sinkler wrote:
Chris Brooks wrote:

One of many topic threads on this subject
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=293270&sid=a4f4d7b95661359467c996f9b45bb7e5

Definitely check out Greg Cutshaw’s post in that thread.

I have that change on LKR, but I also raise string 7 F#>G#. I don’t understand putting it on a 0 or 4 pedal. Half of the utility for it is in AB pedals down position.

Put something else on your 4th pedal. B>Bb and a split to C with the A pedal works well for me.
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 18 Aug 2024 10:44 am    

John Hyland wrote:
Richard Sinkler wrote:
John Hyland wrote:
Richard Sinkler wrote:
Chris Brooks wrote:

Richard my query was more a musical query. What does duplicating notes already available achieve.

It's not the notes, but what you can do with them. Licks, chord movement, etc. If we didn't want duplicate notes you wouldn't have the 2nd string lower to C# because you have a C# on string 5 with the A pedal, no 4th string lower to D# as you have a D# on string 2, No lower string 6 to F# because you have an F# on string 7, No E to F# on the C pedal as you have an F# on string 1. There's things you can do with a pedalled note that you can't do with an open tuned note.