| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Portable Setup for Rhythm Track Playing?
Keenan Friday

Magnolia, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2012 10:11 pm    

Ive been thinking lately on the idea of playing with cds or music files. I have a Walker Stereo Steel that has an RCA auxilery jack for plugging in to a laptop, phone, ect. But I dont want the music to come out of the same speaker that I play out of. So what do other players use that is portable? I have a stereo cd player but its not that portable.

Would I want to look for a cheap mixer? or is it possible to somehow wire a basic speaker cab so that it could plug into a laptop, cell phone, ect and play tracks? or do some people have a separate rack setup for just playing music files and tracks?

I would be appreciative of any insight in what works for other people. Id like a separate audio source for me and other steel friends when we play steel together.
Pete Nicholls

Macon, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2012 4:30 am    

I use a keyboard amp (Behringer K3000FX) that has a built in mixer. I also use a powered speaker with an input from the Behringer in larger venues. You could use either one in a smaller venue, but you may need a mixer if you used a powered speaker. All of these options employ full frequency frequency range amplification which is requisite for me.
So in summary, I would consider a small PA system, a keyboard amp, or a powered speaker.
Quilter Labs Tone Block 202 Head
Roland Cube 80-XL
American Stratocaster - Yamaha Bass Guitar
1 Fender Telecaster Nashville Edition
Ham Call: N4BHB
Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2012 4:55 am    

I used to use my P.A. but now just use a old guitar amp.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2012 6:36 am    

Quote:
But I dont want the music to come out of the same speaker that I play out of.

He says he wants the backing tracks to come from a different speaker, which isn't what the above suggestions will do, except if using a PA, you could have the steel come from the mains only and the tracks come from the monitor side only.

I think the most portable solution for low volumes would just be a boombox for the CD's. Get one with aux inputs for the laptops. Larger "performing" volumes obviously would require a separate amplification source.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Jerry Humphries

Jasper, AL.
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2012 6:45 pm    

Heres my setup for playing tracks. I come from the headphone out from my laptop to channel 1 of a peavy 4 channel mixer. Then from one of the mains out of the mixer to a 500 mosvalve amp. From there its routed to a Peavy 15 in. speaker with a horn also in the cabinet. This works real well for tracks but i plan on replacing the mosvalve with a crown xls 2500 amp. I have room in my rack for a 2 space unit and the 2500 is a lot less weight to move around than the mosvalve.
Richard Durrer

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2012 5:44 pm    

I use a Behringer PMP530M EUROPOWER Ultra-Compact 300-Watt 5-Channel Powered Mixer connected to two PA speaker boxes each with a 12 in 250 watt speaker. The unit has 5 mic inputs as well as RCA jacks for my IPOD Touch. I simply plug the IPOD into the RCA inputs and have all my playlists available. In Canada, it was about $180.00 plus the speakers which I picked up real cheap at a thrift store. The unit can be rack mounted which I put into a spare rack case. I put 1 PA speaker box on each side of my Nashville 112 and the rack beside me. Works great!