| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  passive crossovers for steel guitar speaker arrangments
Peter Leavenworth

Madbury, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2012 4:38 am    

I am interested in setting up a passive crossover between my Music Man 210 HD 130 and its own 2 10" JBLs and a 15" extension speaker. Anyone had experience with something similar?
Gary Meixner

New York, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2012 8:02 am    

Peter,

I used a MM 210 HD130 for many years and played both steel guitar and a Telecaster through it. For a while I used a small home made Theile bass cabinet loaded with a 12" Altec as an extension speaker and the sound was fantastic. At the time I thought about using some kind of crossover but found it wasn't necessary. If you feel that a crossover is needed you should be able to make something using a high value capacitor as a filter - I am not sure which would be best but would think someone on the forum could help. In either event I would try it without and see what you think.

Very best,

Gary Meixner
Olie Eshleman

Seattle, WA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2012 10:39 am    

I have a Sano 500r that I have since converted to a head. Before the conversion, It had a 15" and 2 8"s with a cap in between the 15 and the 8's to effectively work as a high pass filter. I'm assuming you want the internal 10's to work as the mid-high speakers and the 15 as the lows? I think you would need to have the signal go to the 15 first, then wire the cap inline on the positive lead between the 15 and the 10s, with the speakers wired in parallel. The cap that was in this Sano was a 4.7uf 450v. Someone with more knowledge can probably correct anything I've screwed up here, and possibly add more.
Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2012 5:48 pm    

Adding the series cap to the 10's will result in phase differences... this could cause problems in the frequency response. You may need to reverse the phase of the 10's to get them talking right with the 15 with the cap... by ear is the only way to tell. You want to test the phase of the speakers anyway... hopefully you understand this.

I tend to agree with the 'no cap' folks... try it without one and see. Whatever sounds good, man!

Madbury, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2012 6:31 pm    

Thanks for the input, folks, I did try a 15" JBL in a thiel cab as just an extension speaker and, at low gain, it sounded fantastic. However, it distorted significantly at high gain and when I removed the extension speaker, there was scarcely any distortion on the E9 neck. The two tens have a nice warm low mid but not the real nice rounded low end that the bottom strings of the C6 deserve; and at high gain, the two tens begin to honk and choke on the lower strings of the C6 neck. I appreciate the advice about mounting a filter on the 15" cab first but, yes, you've lost me on the capacitor recommendations. I'll refer this info to my tech connections.