| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  stomp effects box, whats the best
Gary Glisson

munford, tn 38058
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2012 10:54 am    

wanted to get some feedback on the best and most used chorus and reverb stomp box's i've seen paul franklin using the stomp box
let me know what you think is the best!!

thanks gary

Reynolds, GA 31076
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2012 12:05 pm    

I still can't see using a stomper when you need your feet for other things.

I bought my last Boss GS-10 for $100 and it has stomps built in.
Gary Glisson

munford, tn 38058
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2012 6:28 pm    

has anyone tried the holy grail reverb stomp pedal? they have a good sound?
gary

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2012 11:30 pm    

I had an original Holy Grail, I had 5 years before it crapped out on me. I thought they sounded great! I believe the new Holy Grail Nano is the same electronics in a more reasonable sized box.
I have friends that run a Boss RV 5 or an RV 7
and are very happy.
I am enjoying my rack mount MPX 100 That I bought after the death of my Holy Grail
Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 23 Oct 2012 1:00 am    

I like the Holy Grail very much as well, been using it for 8 years. If you luck into the original, make sure it has the power supply that comes with it. Very important, cause other power supplies will kill that pedal dead. I am not sure about the nano version's flexibility regarding power supply, but it sounds just like the original to my ears.
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2012 1:42 am    

Mine apparently had diodes to protect against reverse polarity: power supply died and I hotwired another heavy-duty supply to meet it.
I wanna say it drank 7-900 mA, so it needed a heavy duty power supply, but if you found 1 it would work. the power supply Jack broke on mine, and I tried to use an audio jack to serve the purpose. Audio jack insulators are apparently not designed for nearly a full amp of current, and it melted: so I made a home brew connection involving 9 volt battery leads.
Mine carried on another 2 and a half years with a jerry rigged power supply.
1 afternoon it got dropped from a height of 4 feet onto a concrete floor 3 times. For some reason, it did not like that and never worked again.
Steve Ahola

Concord, California
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2012 2:42 am    

The Holy Grail is cool. To keep track of which adapters go to which pedals I use a silver Sharpie to label the adapter which is usually black.

I have heard great things about the discontinued Boss RV-3 which combines reverb and delay (there are some at eBay right now starting around $100.)

There is a new generation of digital reverb pedals based on the Belton "Brick"- a $14 module that gets some very authentic spring reverb sounds. The Malekko Spring Chicken is one pedal that uses that.

The guy that designed the Belton Brick has come out with the WET pedal with the lushest reverb sounds you can get from a pedal:

http://www.neunabertechnology.com/gear/wet-reverb

There is a link on that page to his YouTube channel which has video demos of his pedals.

Steve Ahola

Recordings on electric guitar:
http://www.box.net/blue-diamonds
http://www.box.net/the-culprits
Steve Hitsman

Waterloo, IL
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2012 4:31 am    

Quote:
make sure it has the power supply that comes with it. Very important, cause other power supplies will kill that pedal dead.

I've been running mine with a Hot Spot for a couple of years now... no problem.
Alex Cattaneo

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2012 7:08 am    

There are some way better options out there now.

TC Electronics Hall Of Fame is affordable and has many different modes, it's very flexible.

Neunaber WET reverb is awesome, a little more expensive but sounds great.

I think Wampler makes some reverb pedal too, I would look for one of those also.

Strymon makes a reverb/tremolo pedal called Flynt, sounds incredible.

There are many more reverb pedals out there that will outperform Boss and EH pedals by a country mile.
Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 23 Oct 2012 11:27 am    

Lane, that is some pretty ingenious methodology you had going with the power supply, until you experimented with Newton's law. I guess I would expect similar results. Mr. Green

Steve, do you use the Nano or "big bix" version. I use One Spot on my other effects, but not the Grail. The first one I had fried out immediately due to the other power supply I used. GC was supposed to supply me with the dedicated ower supply, but they tried to sell it to me. I said I got something else I'll use, and then it fried out that day. I called EHX and said if they gave me any guff to have that salesperson call the office direct and they'd set it straight. and they did! good company.

Alex is right. I heard some really good demos of the Hardwire Supernatural, just on the 'net. But it doesn't look as cool as the old Grail. I like gadgetry design. A bit of a sucker that way.
Gary Glisson

munford, tn 38058
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2012 4:51 am    

hi lane sent you a pm

gary

Post  Posted 24 Oct 2012 1:09 pm    

What Alex said. The Boss EH stuff doesn't cut it when compared to most of the reverb pedals that have come out in the last few years.
The Tech 21 R.V.B. pedal should not be overlooked.
The mono WET is my favorite.
Jay Ganz

Out Behind The Barn
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2012 5:08 am    

In addition to several hall, plate, room settings, this has a built in +20 db clean signal boost.
It's the best reverb pedal I've ever owned.
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2012 6:41 am    

I've got this model in my little Boss case along with a Boss DD3 delay and a Boss Chorus:

Steve Ahola

Concord, California
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2012 8:47 am    

Erv Niehaus wrote:
I've got this model in my little Boss case along with a Boss DD3 delay and a Boss Chorus

So how do you like the FRV-1? I've been meaning to check it out...

Steve Ahola

P.S. Did you get the little Boss case that holds 3 of their pedals? Have the latches on yours fallen off yet? After they broke I glued on some double-sided velcro to keep the case closed. (That is the velcro with hooks on one side and loops on the other.)

Recordings on electric guitar:
http://www.box.net/blue-diamonds
http://www.box.net/the-culprits
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2012 8:59 am    

Steve,
Yes, I like it.
And I've got the Boss case that holds the three effect pedals. My latches are still fine. I use this system when playing non-pedal guitar. I have a rack setup for my pedal steel.
Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2012 2:03 pm     on legs beside your steel

Effects boxes on legs -

that one is 16" wide and have just ship today a 22" both 12 1/2" front to back.

Other ideals in the works plus some guitar players want them for the floor because they are heavier duty than the plastic ones.

Many ideas in the works.

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP