| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Stage setup to make sure you can hear yourself
Chris Tweed

Cardiff, Wales, UK
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2012 2:08 pm    

I've been playing pedal steel for about 18 months now and gigging with a singer-songwriter for the last 8 months. It's all going well and I'm pleased with my progress. However, at some gigs I struggle to hear myself, which causes problems with my intonation. I'm looking for suggestions about how to set up so that I can hear my playing better in live situations.

I play mainly small venues using a Music Man RD112, which never gets turned up beyond 2 and is then mic'd into the PA. The singer-songwriter I accompany plays an acoustic guitar with a pickup DI'd into the PA. In most venues we normally have one monitor and the he sets the volumes of his vocal mic and guitar in the foldback to suit his needs. He doesn't like too much steel in the mix and he likes to have his guitar turned up quite loud, to the point where I find it hard to hear the steel in the monitor.

It has been suggested I set my amp so that it faces me and effectively serves as a personal monitor. Is this standard practice? At present my amp sits on the floor to the left and slightly behind me. I have bought some tilt back legs but haven't fitted them yet.

I'd be really interested to know what others do to make sure they can hear themselves playing.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2012 3:24 pm    

i turn the monitors toward the star to shrink the overall sound you're hearing. point your amp at your head as close as necessary. if it's in the PA everyone else will hear it.
i've played with alot of singer/acoustic players and they have a tendency to keep turning their guitar up when they really need to develop some sensitivity.
Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2012 5:10 pm    

@ Chris T-

Try putting your amp close behind you on a box or a low stool or something,leaving just enough room for your amp mic.Turn your amp up loud enough to suit you and take it all the way out of the monitor mix.Turn the monitor away from you and toward the singer.What'll come out of that is you'll hear a combination of your amp and the mains and your singer will hear a combination of his voice and his guitar out of the monitor,plus the little bit of your steel that's not blocked by you sitting in front of your amp.The audience should be hearing a balanced mix of voice,guitar,and steel,and each onstage player will hear a mix that emphasizes what he needs to hear.
Roual Ranes

Atlanta, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2012 7:05 pm    

If the singer is playing through an amp and you are close to it................try to set up where you sit with your ear to the side of his his amp. Behind or in front of his amp is a problem.
Bill Bassett

Papamoa New Zealand
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2012 7:57 pm    

I do a cowboy style show on a nice big stage but it's all acoustic except for a few tunes I get to pay on steel. So, with no drums or amps on stage, I feel a little exposed. I found my solution is to use a small amp pointed back at me with a DI box through the PA.
I get to dial it in the way I like but not blow out the mix. It works for me.
John Roche

England
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2012 12:13 am    

stay away from the bass player....