| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  help with F lever adjustment
Lee Bartram

Sparta, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2012 8:01 am    

ok E's are ok in open but when I engage the F lever and raise them the 4th string stays a little sharp 8th string is ok . I have oiled the changer,checked for binding checked the rollers and even increase the travel a little.what am I not doing right?It is a pre RP Mullen all the other pulls are fine.
Michael Hummel

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2012 8:29 am    

I'm no expert...but I recall that a common reason for this is if your endplate tuning nuts are turned too far, the finger can't return to rest and the string stays a little sharp.

The way you can tell is look at the raise fingers underneath the changer with no pedals/levers activated and they should all line up nicely in a row. If the string 4 finger looks to be sticking out a little, undo the tuning nut a little.

Mike
Lee Bartram

Sparta, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2012 8:46 am    

no they are all fine and I have a little slack in the lever.I know I'm over looking something though.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2012 9:12 am    

Just how much is "a little sharp"? Does it sound bad, or just show on your tuner? Make sure the string does not pull to either side when it comes off the roller nut. When you look down the neck towards the changer, the string behind the nut should be straight in line with the rest of the string. Also, make sure there is slack in the "C" pedal, since that is also raising the 4th. Lastly, make sure the changer fingers are solidly against the stops when no pedal or lever is activated.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2012 9:35 am    

Is the finger returning to the stop at the endplate? Reach under the guitar and locate the finger where it's attached to the spring for the 4th string.

If you can pull it back toward the right endplate, then it's not returning all the way. Tightening up the return spring tension, if there's any adjustment left, will usually solve that condition.

I've gone through this a few times on my Mullen guitars...sometimes you just need to work the finger back and forth repeatedly to get the lube down in the scissors really well.
Carl Kilmer

East Central, Illinois
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2012 10:38 am    

Hi Lee, make sure the return spring for the 4th string
on the changer is adjusted for enough return tension.

Post  Posted 21 Oct 2012 11:06 am    

Hi Lee.
Lee ..I have a Pre-RP Mullen too. Call me so I can let you know how to fix this.

If you have about 15 to 20 minutes to spare, it's some instructions on how to fix your guitar from the great guys at Mullen Steel Guitar Company.I fixed mine and it works great.

Call me at 1-316-830-0072.

Don