| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Cold Cold Heart - B11 tuning
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2013 10:16 am    

I recorded this a few years ago on an Oahu 6-string lap steel. A quick recording, one take. Thought it might be fun to post it here. B11 tuning. Thanks for listening!

------> CLICK HERE
Webb Kline

Orangeville, PA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2013 10:52 am    

That's really nice. I only wish I could be that disciplined. I'm intrigued by the B11 tuning and have been thinking about perhaps doing C11 on my other steel. It would help me if I can keep them in the same key because I'm constantly bouncing back and forth between piano and steels in the same song, and my eyes and brain just aren't as sharp as they used to be. I have them on the 2nd tier of my keyboard stand when I perform.

What tuning sequence are you using there?
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2013 11:30 am    

Here's the 6-string version I'm using:

1 E
2 C#
3 A
4 F#
5 D#
6 C#

An easy re-tune from C6. I tune to B11 once in a while for certain songs, but it's not one of my main tunings. I think it has limitations, as compared to C6 and A6. I never sat down and figured out exactly what the limitations are, but when I try to use it in most songs I find myself searching for sounds and not finding them in the tuning. It IS fantastic for certain songs though, especially songs with lots of 7th and 9th chords. The 9th chord within is extremely lush and satisfying! Cool

Below is some B11 info I posted in another thread.

-------------------------------------------------

basic B11 info:

B11 is a combination tuning. Part of it is A6 and the other part is B7, B9, B11.

Strings 1 through 4 are an A6 chord.

The middle strings (omit string 1) are B9 (and B, B7, B11).

Fret 2 is B6, and Open is B9. Whatever 6th chord you are playing, just drop back two frets for the 7th or 9th chord. For example, A6 on fret 12 (strings 1 through 4), drop back to fret 10 and play the middle strings (omit string 1) for A9. That big 9th chord is the basis of songs like "How D'ya Do" and "Sand".

Check out my tab below to see one way to play a I, IV, V pattern on B11.

The chart below shows some of the open chord positions, with root note A, root note F#, and root note B. There are other open chords that I left off the chart... a diminshed chord on strings 3, 4, 5. Also Am6, flat 5, Aadd2, etc.

Allen Hutchison

Kilcoy, Qld, Australia
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2013 1:30 pm    

Another great job Doug.
Would like to see that on Y'tube if possible. Cool
Frank Welsh

Upstate New York, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2013 3:08 pm    

Hi, Doug...Since using the dynamic duo of C13 and B11 on my Steelmaster D8, I have found as much use for B11 as I have for the always useful C13. Just for fun I am listing the tunes I play in B11 which may give others some ideas for tunes that can really shine in this tuning:

A Way to Survive
Al-Di-La
Anima E Core
Adventures In Paradise
Blue Velvet
Born To Lose
Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You
Ciao, Ciao Bambina
Crazy
Girl From Ipanima
Hana
How'd Yo Do
I Love You So Much It Hurts Me
I'll Weave A Lei Of Stars For You
Innamorata
Lovely Hula Girl
Mapuana
Moonlight In Vermont
Old Cape Cod
Once In A While
One Song (from "Snow White")
Out Of Nowhere
Picnic/Moonglow
Pretend You Don't See Her
Prisoner Of Love
Sand
Summertime
The One Rose
To Each His Own
Tumblin' Tumbleweeds
Unforgettable
Waikiki
Wear A Lei
You Don't Know Me

On a few of these tunes I go back and forth on the two necks to use some particular strengths of both tunings, keeping both necks "hot." On a jazz tune "Blue Bossa'" I play melody on C13 and switch to B11 for a chordal improvisation and then back to C13 for return to melody.

I hope your thread inspires others to explore this great B11th tuning.
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2013 5:05 pm    

That's a very impressive list, Frank!
David Matzenik

Cairns, on the Coral Sea
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2013 10:16 pm    

Doug, that is a fine performance. You had me weeping into my chilled Chardonnay. Smile

�ppelbo, SWEDEN
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2013 1:54 am    

PLEASE, re-record this with several camaras for U-tube. We will se all nice trick in there!!!

Bosse in Sweden
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2013 3:22 am    

Awesome, Doug! Really shows how a simple song can shine in the hands of a great player who knows how to vary the textures and add interest. Very nice playing and arrangement and the volume effect is stellar. Loved it.

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2013 7:15 am    

Thanks David and Bosse, that "boo-wah" tone trick is done by turning the tone knob rapidly with the little finger on the right hand. It works best on old guitars where the tone goes from bass to treble instantly, not a gradual sweep like modern guitars. And it helps if the tone knob is located in a convenient spot for the little finger to work it.

Thanks Andy! Sometimes our most interesting playing happens when we're just having fun with it... and maybe after a couple of drinks! I think that's what happened here. Other times we spend hours working out exactly what to play, trying to get it perfect, and it turns out... not all that interesting. It's funny how that works.
Former Member

Post  Posted 23 Nov 2013 7:18 am    

Thank you Doug!
That's real good data! I keep my JBFP in this tuning to play a couple Hawaiian tunes. When I noodle around the Fretboard, I hear lots of cool chords, just don't know what to do with it.
I'd like to but that tab if you were interested! In fact any country B11 tabs..
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2013 8:33 am    

Thanks Ron, I don't have any tab for this song, but I'm working on a new tab book/CD of 12 Hawaiian songs, and it will include three B11 songs. The project will take a few months to complete.