| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  GENIAL HAWAIIANS...JIM and BOB
Les Cook

Derbyshire, UK
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2012 4:14 am    

The new Grass Skirt CD "Genial Hawaiians" is released in the USA next month ...features all 12 recordings by Jim and Bob and all 12 by George Ku's Paradise Islanders. I thought members might like to see some of the images we used in the booklet , and maybe a couple we didn't have room for.
First up is one showing Bob Pauole with a Gibson electric steel ...not the usual National Tricone we associate him with. Sadly he didn't record anything on electric steel
Les Cook

Derbyshire, UK
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2012 4:25 am    

Bob's headstone ...Chicago's Graceland Cemetery. Note the "Panole" version of his Hawaiian name Pauole which he used soon after coming to the mainland in the 20s
Les Cook

Derbyshire, UK
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2012 4:32 am    

Bob Pauole again with Al Vierra's band ...he played with Al for over 15 years with long running contracts in Chicago clubs during the summer and a Florida hotel each winter
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2012 5:06 am    

Fantastic, Les. Looking forward to it. Bob was a unique player with a great flair for arranging.

Also, I was very fond of George Ku from a Rounder compilation--in fact, the 2 George Ku tunes were my favorites on the compilation--Na Pua O Hawaii and Na Ali'l. I remember he was tuned to open A on a tricone.

Na Pua O Hawaii
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udIA-vnzt18

Derbyshire, UK
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2012 12:21 pm    

I agree Mike , the Ku sides are very beautiful ...the steel player was actually Charlie Opunui. Like Pauole , Opunui had a long career in Hawaiian music starting in the early 20s . And he enjoyed a parallel career as a movie actor appearing in lots of B movies ...also a bit part in Around the World in 80 Days. Here's a photo of him from a cult classic called She Demons..."don't shoot the steel player" springs to mind !
Les Cook

Derbyshire, UK
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2012 11:29 pm    

Jim Holstein and Bob Pauole , aka Jim and Bob, the Genial Hawaiians. This appeared in a booklet produced by their employers at radio station WENR

David Matzenik

Cairns, on the Coral Sea
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2012 12:21 am    

Hi Les, I just want to congratulate you on a really wonderful release. And as always, great liner notes. I did not think I would be crazy about The Song of the Range, but it turns out to be a stunner. Combining the two groups is perfect. Charles Opunui? Does that mean "big belly?" Very Happy

Greeneville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2012 11:44 am    

Where can one purchase the album?

Thanks
Les Cook

Derbyshire, UK
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2012 1:15 pm    

it's available direct from our website www.Grassskirt.co.uk. Also Amazon have it already plus Elderly Instruments, Amoeba stores, Streetlight should have it very soon. After November 20th it will be widely available in the USA . Also directly available from our US distributor City Hall Records www.cityhallrecords.com.
US buyers wanting to pay by check can also get a copy direct from Robert Armstrong in California ( send me a PM and I'll send details )
Les Cook

Derbyshire, UK
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2012 9:35 am    

Newspaper cutting from the Vierra family scrapbook

Les Cook

Derbyshire, UK
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2012 9:39 am    

another one from the Vierra scrapbook of Bob Pauole ( thanks to John Troutman for locating it for us!!)

John Troutman

Washington, DC
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2012 8:56 pm    

My pleasure Les! Wish you could have been there when I found them. I should make mention that our access to these images is courtesy of the Hawaiʻi State Archives-- the HSA staff is tremendous and I owe them a big thanks for making this collection available to me before it was processed.

We should also give Les a big thanks for all of the amazing photographs, correspondence, recordings, and ephemera he has located over the years, as well as the hundreds (thousands?) of hours of research that he has logged in on the history of the instrument and the early players. And that's before we even start to talk about his amazing, essential cd releases. We all benefit from your work, Les-- THANK YOU!
Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2012 9:09 pm    

It appears that his name is Robert Pauoli, yet on
the gravestone and in a promotional pamphlet his last name is listed as Panole.

What gives?
Les Cook

Derbyshire, UK
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2012 1:51 am    

Don ...his real name was Pauole ( in full actually Robert Kealoha Pauole) . Soon after coming to the mainland in around 1926 he started using Panole .... possibly because Panole was easier for Americans to pronounce and spell that his real Hawaiian name. Just my theory . Its interesting that back in Hawaii when the newspapers were reporting on Jim & Bob's success on Chicgao radio they continued to use Pauole.
In any event Panole is the version which appears on most official documents from the late 20s onwards ...census, marriage and death certificates etc. However on the photo found in the Vierra family scrapbook it's spelled Pauole so it looks like his friends knew the correct way.
When you look at his signature it's hard to tell whether he was signing his name Panole or Pauole!