| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  pedal setup
Craig Corry

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2012 7:34 am    

Hello forum pros I am fairly new to playing but I am progressing fine but I would love some advice on setting the height on my pedals and most importantly if they are all supposed to be exactly the same height. I have a hard time rolling off the A pedal leaving B down and not hitting the D lever. Does anyone set pedals at different heights? Thanks Craig corry I play a desert rose vintage pro
Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2012 9:09 am    

As far as I know, there aren't any real set rules for pedal height. Adjust them to where they work the best for you so long as they don't bottom out on the floor or carpet or the connectors don't run out of threads. You need enough threads still engaged in the connector so they don't strip out. As long as you change the rod length down at the pedal quick connectors, it changes nothing about the other adjustments up under the body. My "A" and "C" pedals are both slightly higher than the "B".
Craig Corry

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2012 2:55 pm    

Thanx Danny for responding about my pedal questions
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2012 8:03 pm    

The way my pedals are adjusted. I play the Day setup, and pedal 2 is my C pedal, pedal 3 is my B pedal, and pedal 4 is my A pedal

Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 14 Sep 2012 1:24 pm    

Danny Letz wrote:
My "A" and "C" pedals are both slightly higher than the "B".

I have my A & C slightly higher than my B, as well, with my C pedal being the highest. Thanks for the tip about the threads, Danny.
Aaron Jennings

Montana, USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2012 1:50 pm    

Yeah, my A pedal rides a lot higher than my B or C, and the height difference does not seem optimal or foot-friendly.

Since I'm fairly new to PSG, making even little adjustments seems slightly intimidating. Thanks for the excellent tips, sometimes the best advice is what 'not to do'.
Joe Stewart

Way Out West
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2012 8:03 pm     Re: pedal setup

Craig Corry wrote:
Hello forum pros I am fairly new to playing but I am progressing fine but I would love some advice on setting the height on my pedals and most importantly if they are all supposed to be exactly the same height. I have a hard time rolling off the A pedal leaving B down and not hitting the D lever. Does anyone set pedals at different heights? Thanks Craig corry I play a desert rose vintage pro

Though I've been playing non-pedal steel for quite a while, I'm an absolute beginner at pedal steel, and I've noticed from Day-1 that many of the steels in use out there have differing pedals heights. At first, I thought it was just an artifact - something that I was imagining or over-thinking, but now I know better. The pedals are being adjusted to different heights by different players, based upon the very criteria that you've mentioned here (ergonomics).

My suggestion? Set your pedal heights to what makes sense for you and your geometry, and don't worry about what everyone else says or does. If I've learned anything this past 4-6 months, its that everyone has their own deal (i.e., there's very little standardization or uniformity).