| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dual Professional Wobble
Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2012 12:05 am    

Hi Guys,

I gigged on Saturday with my Dual Professional for the first time and was also the first time I put the legs on it.

I noticed that it did not seem nearly as rock solid as my custom triple that I usually use - It definitely moved a bit each time I touched it.

Is this normal and something to do with the legs being closer together or should I be looking into it in a bit more detail to see what the problem is.

I was delighted with it and it really sounded sweet through my gigging amp at a decent volume.

Thanks
Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2012 1:53 am     Re: Dual Professional Wobble

Jeff Mead wrote:

I noticed that it did not seem nearly as rock solid as my custom triple that I usually use - It definitely moved a bit each time I touched it.

Examine the insides of the legs... the nylon spacers at the hidden end of the smaller tube may be broken or missing, this is all that I can think of (besides just loose threads) that could describe your symptoms.

If they are gone, perhaps you can simulate them with gaffer's tape... it won't be as stiff as the nylon disc that was originally there. The end of the leg can't be allowed to wobble inside the tube.

Overland Park, Kansas
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2012 4:39 am    

Jeff,
We're you sitting or standing? You may already know this but sitting provides more stability especially with three legs. (Sorry if that's obvious!)

Nate
John Rosett

Missoula, MT
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2012 4:42 am    

Mine wobbles a little bit, but I think it's just because it's a tripod with a heavy guitar on top.

Wilmington, NC, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2012 6:31 am    

Mine wobbles as well. Turns out the original leather clamping washers in the clutch are dried out.

Took the leathers out and oiled 'em and then I just crank the clutches down as tight as I can get 'em. Still a little wobbly, but not nearly as bad.

Oh, and I hardly ever play standing up any more, so, as Solomon already stated, that helps too.
Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2012 8:38 am    

Solomon Hofer wrote:
Jeff,
We're you sitting or standing? You may already know this but sitting provides more stability especially with three legs. (Sorry if that's obvious!)

Nate

Yes, I usually play standing up.

Nothing seems loose or wobbly while I am assembling it but maybe it is a bit top heavy as everything seems to flex a bit - much more noticeable than my, otherwise identical Custom Triple though. Maybe the triple is more stable because the legs are a bit more widely spaced?

As others seem to be experiencing something similar I'll stop worrying about it Smile

Last edited by Jeff Mead on 17 Sep 2012 8:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2012 8:38 am    

Bill Ladd wrote:
Mine wobbles as well. Turns out the original leather clamping washers in the clutch are dried out.

I don't see how a clutch could cause wobble in a three-legged guitar.

NJ
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2012 9:32 am    

You can replacement clutches from Don Burrows at BSG Steel Guitars: http://bsgsteelguitars.com/

They are very reasonable.

Wilmington, NC, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2012 3:31 pm    

You know what, Stephen mentioned something I hadn't thought about before.

On these older legs the spacer he refers to is brass (or bronze or some other brassy-toned alloy), but indeed, if it is worn it will allow wobble even with an over-tightened clutch as I used to do with mine.

I'm sure that brass ring, after almost sixty years (mine's a '54) of sliding up and down that inner bore has lost a lot of meat.

I'll have to pull one of my legs apart to see how easily the brass rings could be repaired or replaced with plastic.

Thanks Stephen!
Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2012 7:50 pm    

Bill Ladd wrote:

On these older legs the spacer he refers to is brass (or bronze or some other brassy-toned alloy), but indeed, if it is worn it will allow wobble even with an over-tightened clutch as I used to do with mine.

I'm sure that brass ring, after almost sixty years (mine's a '54) of sliding up and down that inner bore has lost a lot of meat.

I'll have to pull one of my legs apart to see how easily the brass rings could be repaired or replaced with plastic.

Thanks Stephen!

You're welcome, Bill... I actually have this problem with a '56 Stringmaster D8... there was a piece of spatter inside the leg (from the factory) and it wore out the spacer piece. Mine was nylon... every time the leg was collapsed it tore another chunk out of it... now it's just about gone. I turned the inside leg around, took off the bumper, and jammed it in and out until I broke off the spatter... leg is still wobbly though. I'll bet you find nylon in there.

That reminds me... inside a mic stand (pretty much like a steel leg) there's usually a CapPlug or something like that to prevent rattle... perhaps that will work as a replacement. I'm looking at creating a threaded plug to go inside an Atlas-style mic stand to create longer legs for my steels too... why not?

Eustis, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2012 9:27 pm    

To me, the "tripod" setup is not intrinsically as stable, especially when standing. Take a look at this keyboard stand.. covers from sitting to standing.. is very stable, folds up into a bag (not as light/small as 3 legs obviously, but not a huge problem either) it is by its nature "level" so no worries adjusting different heights on separate legs.

Plus it can hold any number of different guitars.. I use it with a Harmos and my Deluxe eight. Have not tried the Ricky yet, but that may work as well..

http://www.ultimatesupport.com/product/VS-88B
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2012 3:36 am    

Bill Ladd wrote:

Thanks Stephen!

Don Burrows sells the little brass rings separately, too. I bought a few from him.

Wilmington, NC, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2012 6:14 am    

Mike Neer wrote:
Don Burrows sells the little brass rings separately, too. I bought a few from him.

Well, there you go Jeff. New clutch internals and new spacers from Don Burrows and you'll be able to land a plane on yer Dual Pro!

(edit based on Mike Neer's following post)

Last edited by Bill Ladd on 18 Sep 2012 6:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2012 6:23 am    

I misspoke when I used the term "clutches". What I meant was the brass rings.

I did once use a clutch kit from Atlas, but I only used the little plastic ring. That's how I learned that the ring is the most common suspect in the clutch malfunction.