| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Band Leaders who Steal from their Band
Steven Finley

California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2012 8:30 pm    

Alcoholism isn't the only scurge affecting many stars; try egomania! Here's one for the books.

During the 1980's, I played with the house band at a club in Signal Hill, CA. We were honored with receiving the
"Non-Touring Band of the Year" award. The band leader, on our behalf, graciously went and picked up the trophies.
However, the band leader never gave them to us, or even once showed us our awards.

To this day the awards/trophies still sit in this now-retired band leader's house. Many of the band members have since passed on.
Even at the passing of these members, this band leader never had the decency to give those members' trophies to their families.
I told my wife that after I die, in the unlikely event that my trophy is finally received, she can use it for my tombstone.
Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2012 1:14 pm    

To heck with trophies, what about band leaders that tell you that he and everyone in the band are making the same money, and later you find out he's been keeping up to half of the pay for himself! Mad
Billy Tonnesen

R.I.P., Buena Park, California
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2012 2:52 pm    

In the last half of the 50's I worked with a Band Leader at the Red Barn in Lawndale, Ca. We were well into our second year and the Club was doing quite well but our pay never increased. Finally the Band, not including the Band Leader, went to the Club Manager and stated our case for getting an increse. The Club Manager said he had given an increase several monhs before and it was to be split up between the Band. The Band Leader had pocketed the increase for himself and never psssed on any to the Band.

Other Band Leasers I worked for in the 60's would brag that you would be paid Union Scale when they were making five times as much.

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2012 5:26 pm    

Jim, I experienced this also. I joined a "brothers band". I was driving up to an hour to meet them at their jobs where they were only driving 20 minutes. When I asked for an extra $5.00 for gas I found out that both the brothers were skimming $20.00 each off the band before paying. I quit immediately.
Cal Sharp

the farm in Kornfield Kounty, TN
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2012 11:00 pm    

I was playing a club in LA in the 80's and at the end of the night the bandleader told us he'd just gotten robbed in the parking lot, so there went our pay. Crying or Very sad
Custom Made Covers for Steel Guitars & Amps at Sharp Covers Nashville
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2012 5:46 am    

Laughing How about when the band gets paid and the leader doesn't Sad ???
Cal Sharp

Post  Posted 3 Sep 2012 5:53 am    

Faron always made sure we got paid, even if he didn't. Smile
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 3 Sep 2012 7:02 am    

I have also fallen victim to skimming bandleaders. It's a dog eat dog world out there...
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2012 7:37 am    

I never ran into a band leader who was honest enough to pay his band when he wasn't.
Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2012 7:48 am    

We DO exist, Kevin.

Post  Posted 3 Sep 2012 8:06 am    

Exacty Cal..No one ever worked for me that did not get paid..There were times I didn't..
Skeeter Stultz

LOMITA, California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2012 8:27 pm    

Hey Steven, Would that be the club at 19th and Cherry? I worked there from July '65 to Dec '78 except for a couple years in the mid '70's. Around '70 or '71 we won that same award.I never saw a trophy let alone trophies. Bonnie said get me a showcase and she would display it. I said "WHAT ?" She hired each bandmember and I was supposed to make a band out of the bunch. Drove me crazy. Maybe you heard some stories

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2012 9:21 pm    

I've had the pleasure of working with some very caring and thoughtful bandleaders, some who indeed paid band members out of pocket when they didn't have enough pay. Unfortunately I've also witnessed some unconscionable rip-offs handed down to band members, quite a few from very famous people. I still have no idea why people think ripping off their bandmates is ever cool.
Steven Finley

California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2012 7:33 am    

Skeeter,your location is correct.
Alan Tanner

Near Dayton, Ohio
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2012 1:35 pm    

I dont think I ever worked in a band that everyone wasn't paid the same, but then again, maybe I wouldn't know. I have worked for some pretty shady types, both management, club owners AND musicians so it is very possible that there were shenanigans going on. On the other hand, should the guy that books the job get a perk?? I have worked with guys that are very energetic about finding bookings, drive around to places, telephone followups, etc. Then there are those in the bands who, even tho they have no day jobs, sit around on their asses and complain because the band has no work and won't even follow up a tip. So...should the go getters get a little extra, or just write it off as "good for the group"? I have mixed feelings about this I think.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2012 2:15 pm    

I can't imagine letting a guy get away with stealing your trophies. There must have been at least 3 or 4 other members. Why wouldn't you guys have shown up en masse on his doorstep and demanded your awards....an old fashioned a$$ whuppin' being the alternative?

Sorry, can't give you any sympathy for letting him get away with that.
Cal Sharp

Post  Posted 4 Sep 2012 2:23 pm    

It's not uncommon, especially on artist gigs, for somebody in the band to be appointed bandleader, and get more money. And in the studio there's usually a session leader, who get double (right?) scale.

But it entails extra work - writing charts, organizing rehearsals, dealing with booking agents, bailing the star out of jail...
Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2012 12:25 pm    

So do some of you just assume that when you get hired to play with a band, you're entitled to an even split?
Most of my gigs for the past 20 years, I got hired after I agreed on the pay per gig plus some expense where applicable. Knowing full well the artist was getting a deal at the door plus overs. My deal is my deal and if he makes a killing, good for him.

Now if the artist pledged up front he would split, and he was caught skimming, that's another story.
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2012 12:30 pm    

Chris, I think a big difference is that you refer to "the Artist" (in other words, you are clearly a 'sideman' who gets whatever pay is offered, even if it's different for different sidemen) while some others here are referring to a full band-member situation, in which it's probably the common assumption of an even split, unless stated otherwise.
Cal Sharp

Post  Posted 5 Sep 2012 12:35 pm    

That's always been the way it worked with me, Jim.
Billy Tonnesen

R.I.P., Buena Park, California
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2012 1:11 pm    

"Sidemen" more often than not are the one's that get together and make the Band work. Good Sidement know when to play, when and how to back up the singer and get them back on key when they stray. Sidemen will get together and work up arrangementws to make the Band sound fuller and better. Usually the Band Leader appreciates this but is not a didrect contributor unless he plays a lead instrument and has worked as a Sideman.

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2012 1:26 pm    

give a listen to Buddy Whittington's song "Second Banana" sometime:

Quote:
May not be the fairest in all the land
But if you need the gig done, baby I'm your man
I'll be there when your artist goes beserk
Cause the thunder makes the racket
But the lightnin' does the work
I can get the show on from Altoona to Atlanta
Backin' up the front-man, I'm the second banana

Laughing

Post  Posted 5 Sep 2012 1:53 pm    

I don't want this to get away from the topic..But How many side men run their phone bill up,run their Fuel bill up and actually get the work so everyone gets paid???.Now I am one who paid everyone the same about 90% of the time.. but there were times when I had the chance to make more and so did the band and it happened....I never lied to the band on the payout..I guaranteed the band a certain amount and they came to work xpecting that and left content nightly.I did pay the band higher than what was the standar..And Why not I had great players...There were nights when we had big spenders sending up sizable tips As much as 50bucks a song for a request..I never took a penny of those gratuities..Doug Beaumire who knows who I am talking about was in the band the followed us to this club..The owner had us on sallary for 6 nights a week..Yes I made more but like I said the band was well paid...And never out of work...
Cal Sharp

Post  Posted 5 Sep 2012 2:52 pm    

Rosemary Clooney wanted to be a sideman. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zbq4ardfDbg
Carl Mesrobian

Salem, Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2012 8:20 am    

If I book a gig (very rare) I simply tell the players the payout and split it even-steven, and when called to play, put trust into the band leader as far as how fair he/she is. Making tons of phone calls, chatting with hiring managers, agents, and finding side players should have some compensation - I choose not to be compensated as band leader - it's the way I was raised.

"The better it gets, the fewer of us know it." Ray Brown