| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pay Pal
Fred Nolen

Mohawk, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2005 5:48 am    

I see more and more references to Pay Pal on the forum. I am a little leary of putting my CC and bank account information on line, but it appears that it may be necessary to continue doing business. I have ordered several things on line and used a credit card to do it. It, however, causes me to have nightmares. Does anyone have a horror story or enthusiastic endorsement for Pay Pal?

Thanks,

Ol' Fred
Archie Nicol R.I.P.

Ayrshire, Scotland
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2005 6:13 am    

I have bought lots of stuff using paypal, including strings from the forum and have had no trouble. My brother does a lot of buying and selling on E-bay and has had no trouble either. Once you start, you'll wonder why you hadn't used it all along.
Cheers, Arch.
Giorgio Robino

Genova, Italy
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2005 6:13 am    

Hi Fred,

Paypal is a very trusted and serious system ( and the company have been bhought by Ebay recently. The Ebay e-commerce system trading engine is in fact the Paypal one! )

I think Paypal is a very good system for:

1. allow listeners to buy music on internet without share credit card, but only "commit" a payment with a e-mail adress as identifier.

2. allow muscians and small company to sell music directly to listeners.
Personally I bhought music here from Bob using paypal

I hope this help
giorgio
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2005 6:30 am    

I use Pay Pal quite a bit. It is especially useful for foreign transactions. They can convert foreign money into good old US $$$$ for a transaction.
Martin Abend

Berlin, Germany
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2005 6:38 am    

Never had a problem.

------------------
martin abend Pedal-Steel in Germany
s-10 sierra crown gearless 3 x4 | GiMa squareneck

Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2005 6:45 am    

I have a horror story, including identity theft. I'll never deal through this system again. It has cost me a small fortune so far in several ways. Be very careful here, this is dangerous territory.
You asked, I told.
Bobbe

[This message was edited by BobbeSeymour on 02 August 2005 at 07:46 AM.]

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2005 6:45 am    

It has been a big help to me. Simple and no problems so far.

Bob
Bill Llewellyn

San Jose, CA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2005 6:54 am    

Bobbe, can you possibly give us a few details? How did the horror story come about? When you say "be careful", what are you referring to? If there are potholes or snares in the system, it would be very helpful to know more about them. Thanks.

------------------
Bill, steelin' since '99 | Steel page | MSA U12 | My music | Steelers' birthdays | Over 50?
CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2005 7:00 am    

i know some have had probs w: paypal
so far i have'nt
i'll knock on wood & keep usin' it since it's been quite handy for Intl transactions.
it's pretty much a secure system but there are a lot of scammers tryin' to get in.
if you're a registered Paypal user DO NOT answer emails from Paypal since they're all fake.
Loggin' in to one's Paypal acct will tell ya' what's shakin'
Paul Smith

Ma
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2005 7:20 am    

Hello Fred, (and anyone else reading this thread)

Here is a simple foolproof method to protect yourself using paypal.

Open up a second checking account in your name and get a debit/credit card with this 2nd account. You can use this card for all of your paypal purchases. Keep just enough money in this account to cover your paypal purchases, that way if there is some type of error everyone in the world does not end up with your primary checking account where you keep all of your cash for paying bills etc.

Never use a primary credit card ever.

I personally have never had a problem using paypal.

FYI:
I was an engineer for 20 + years in the telecommunications industry working as a layer 3 networking software engineer. Your transaction is secure when you send it over the internet using 128 bit ssl encryption. But the problem arrises when the transaction arrives at its destination and becomes decrypted. Then hackers can break in and steal whatever they intend on stealing.

just my 2 pennys

take care,

smitty

[This message was edited by Paul Smith on 02 August 2005 at 08:22 AM.]

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2005 7:51 am    

Using PayPay might be convenient, but I don't feel it's as safe as a credit card. On a credit card, you're only liable for the first $50 of a fraudulent transaction. (I don't think PayPal has a similar setup.) Having a separate account for just PayPal isn't very convenient, either, as you never know how much money you'll need for the next transaction. Using online banking services and services such as PayPal carries with it an inherent amount of risk. I personally choose not to take this risk, but others may do as they please. (It's their money.)

If a seller doesn't take credit cards or money orders, I simply choose not to deal with them, period! It's my money, and I guard it very carefully.
Giorgio Robino

Genova, Italy
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2005 8:16 am    

Danny,

quote:
I personally choose not to take this risk, but others may do as they please. (It's their money.)
If a seller doesn't take credit cards or money orders, I simply choose not to deal with them, period!

I'm sorry to say that I do exactly the opposite! :

"If a seller doesn't take Paypal orders, I simply choose not to deal with them, period!"

As (e-commerce) software engineer, let me state that it's more risky to pay via internet credit card transactions in a peer-to-peer context (I mean one peer is you, the other peer is a third party web site vendor you don't know). this is the case, when you put you credit card with amazon.com etc. ... (woul be a fake site ... that emulate amazon ...)

In my opinion, both for business and technical reasons, when a vendor use Paypal, I'm more "sure" in terms of data security!

quote:

On a credit card, you're only liable for the first $50 of a fraudulent transaction. (I don't think PayPal has a similar setup.)

I fair I think you are wrong; Paypal simply wrap (hide) a creit card transaction ...
so in fact the paypal transaction IS a credit card transaction with all rules of the credit-card "acquirer" (VIsa, mastercard) contract you alreaady have.

Anyway, Paypal have a very good helpdesk system indeed; I got all the answers I asked in 24 hours! You can ask to them for any doubts.

Last but not least, let see what Michael Scott (a friend of Bob and an absoultely trusted site, see www.steelradio.com !)

state here: http://www.scottysmusic.com/orderform.htm

Far from me to advertise Paypal nor Ebay (private companies indeed ) but I think Paypal is, from the indipendent musician, especially the only system worlwide available allowing indipendent music selling or gifting (please see very interesting emergent Paypal Donation no-profit paradigm)

I hope this help
giorgio
Giorgio Robino

Genova, Italy
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2005 8:23 am    

quote:
it's pretty much a secure system but there are a lot of scammers tryin' to get in.
if you're a registered Paypal user DO NOT answer emails from Paypal since they're all fake.
Loggin' in to one's Paypal acct will tell ya' what's shakin'

exactly CrowBear! maybe the identity copy reported was doe to that scammers's fraud.

But this is a very general rule:
"NEVER ANSWER TO EMAILS THAT ASK PAYPAL/BANK DATA!"

giorgio
Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2005 8:24 am    

The only experience I have with Paypal is the notices that I get almost daily threatening to cancel my paypal account if I don't verify and send them my account number and password, for an account that I have never had!

I know that is a spam and is not Paypal, but still, it makes me cautious!

------------------

"FROM THEN 'til NOW"

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2005 8:37 am    

You can link PayPal to either your bank account or you credit card. Which one is safer?
I would think the credit card is safer because it's so easy to cancel a credit card and get a new one.
Webb Kline

Orangeville, PA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2005 8:51 am    

Gene, that is about the only way I know that you could be ripped off. Even then, it is pretty foolproof if you have the proper safeguards up.

I keep a separate bank account with just enough deposited there to pay for anything I might be bidding on. That seems safer than someone robbing a credit card which may have a big limit on it.
Ben Slaughter

Madera, California
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2005 8:52 am    

Credit Card is safer. I worked at a bank back in college, and I would never give out a bank account number. A CC is easy to cancel and issue a new one, a bank account is VERY difficult to change.

I feel saver using PP than I do using a CC at a restaurant (which is how a lot of CC fraud starts, think about it, you give them your CC and they take it away for several minutes... what could an unscrupulous person do with it during that time??)

CC companies are very conscience about fraud. Ultimately they go after the retailer for allowing the fraud. Why do you think they shut off the gas pumps after $50 now? (Which no longer fills my pickup ) You are generally NOT responsible for fraudulat charges on your CC. I've had my CC card people call me when a suspicious charge came up, like I was out of town and charged $50 of fuel and $50 of lunch within 1 hour and at the same time my wife chaged up the card at Macy's back at home. That raised a red flag, and they called, saying "Do you have your cards, did you just charge this much at this place?"

[This message was edited by Ben Slaughter on 02 August 2005 at 10:04 AM.]

Giorgio Robino

Genova, Italy
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2005 10:14 am    

Quote:
I feel saver using PP than I do using a CC at a restaurant (which is how a lot of CC fraud starts, think about it, you give them your CC and they take it away for several minutes...

Ben, I perfectly agree with you and you ar right also about all other point ...
btw, I'm surprised that some people here (mainly from USA) didn't know about credit card behaviours (safety/refounds) I say that because in Europe we have the idea that in USA people are using 90% credit cards and 10% cashes (idea that I experienced when working in Washington D.C) ...

regards
giorgio
Keith Cordell

San Diego
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2005 10:35 am    

I have used Paypal for 8 years without a serious hiccup. Approximately $65,000 worth. No issues here. Identity theft happens with any credit card, it has happened to me twice through regular banks. Paypal has never been an issue.
Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2005 10:43 am    

I've used PayPal for about 7 years and (knock on wood,) haven't had any problems. I tried at one time to get a card terminal, but was turned down because my sales totals were so low. Go figure. Most places I talked to flatly said no. I got kinda p.o'd about the whole thing and haven't asked to get one since.

I think PayPal is as safe as some other methods. It's a lot safer than giving your credit card to the waiter in that restaurant and having him go to the back to charge your meal. It'd be really easy for the waiter to copy down your number, expiration date and the code from the back.

I'm sure there are, as Bobbe said, horror stories, but I imagine there are a plenty of credit card, personal check and money order stories, too.

My wife sent a postal money order, (it's what they asked for,) to Italy and never got the item. I went to the post office, found out the MO wasn't cashed and filled out a form to get a refund. It took over a year for the refund to get here. Of course, that's all the post office's doing. I still don't know why it took so long.

------------------
My best,
Ernie

www.buddyemmons.com

John Troutman

Washington, DC
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2005 11:32 am    

I have used Paypal for several years as both a buyer and seller. Last month I 'won' an auction on Ebay for a Regal Black Lightning Dobro (it was a 'buy it now' deal for $300). I immediately paid the seller, but never received a confirmation from him. After a few days I was very nervous and even tracked down his phone number, though I was never able to get a hold of him. I reported the transaction a few days later to Paypal.

After ten days of attempting and failing to contact him, they immediately awarded me the full purchase price of the instrument, which appeared in my account shortly thereafter. For this great service, I will use them exclusively in the future. Highly recommended!!
John
Mark Herrick

Bakersfield, CA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2005 11:45 am    

Quote:
You can link PayPal to either your bank account or you credit card. Which one is safer?

If you are only making payments through PayPal I think you only need the credit card info. If you are accepting payments from other people through PayPal I think you need all the banking info.

I would think the credit card route would be safer.
Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2005 11:56 am    

I had been using Paypal without any problems until I decided to bid on a GFI D-10. Was the highest bidder. Followed the bidding everyday for a week until I won it. Turned in the usual info I do on other Paypal purchases and then they want my banking accounts info before they can clear the sale. Didn't give it to them and don't have any plans to do so. I use a credit card with a limit on it to where I could buy a new car with it if I wanted and they want my bank info for a 1500.00 guitar. I don't think so. Oh well, I found a nice D-10 MSA for 1200.00 to use as a second guitar and the place I bought it from just gave me a bill on it and said pay it when I get a chance. Seven days later I paid cash for it. Saved about 300.00 or so.
C. Brattain

Balch Springs, Texas, usa
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2005 12:02 pm    

PayPal has been very good for me, never a problem. Chuck
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2005 12:26 pm    

"The only experience I have with Paypal is the notices that I get almost daily threatening to cancel my paypal account if I don't verify and send them my account number and password, for an account that I have never had!"

Gene, and others, I found out from PayPal (I actually got a number, and CALLED somebody!!), that any and every legitimate communication from PayPal will address the user by name; i.e., "Dear Steve Gambrell," or something like that. disregard and delete ANYTHING that starts, "Dear PayPal customer," you're as safe as milk these days. I've had nothing but good luck with PayPal---they Do charge a fee, but who doesn't???