| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rusler changer catching
Dave Yustin

Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2012 5:30 am    

Found a nice 69 Rusler, sounds great. I changed the RKL to raise 1 and lower 6. The raise is smooth but the lower is catching on the changer finger. The return spring is strong, but it sounds like a coil is catching on something. I removed the spring and looked, but can't figure out what's hanging up.
All other pedals and levers are smooth.
Any ideas?
Dave
Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2012 8:29 am    

Dave I am not familiar with the old Ruslers but your issue does sound familiar.
With the guitar upside down, inspect these possibilities: When activating the lower, check if bottom end of lower bar is rubbing against the lower return spring.
Also, look in the endplate window while activating the lower to see if the lowering bar is catching on the lower-or raise bar on either side of it.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2012 9:23 am    

It may be due to the longer length of travel created when you added the 6 lower. The spring may be over extended and angle upwards toward the body as the change is actuated.

While it's inverted and your doing the inspection, check that a spring coil is not hanging up on the spring return plate/attachment point.
Dave Yustin

Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2012 5:17 pm     Rusler

Thanks for the information.
DAve
Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2012 5:54 pm    

What jerry said....Also when lowing 6 check to see if the changer is also trying to raise, it should be an elbow bend and not not trying to raise as it lowers, if that makes any sense. Assuming you are using a plain string for the 6th also?

Queen Creek, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2012 8:30 am    

If you need old Rusler parts contact Chuck Back of "Desert Rose" steels....he had the REAL parts last I heard.
520-548-4654
FENDER TWIN & SEYMOUR DUNCAN 50W tube amps...1-12" 2-12" & 4-12" cabs and a FENDER MUSTANG-3
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2012 2:39 pm    

I assume you put the legs and everything on while the guitar is upside-down in the case. So before you take it out of the case and set it up, operate the pedal with your hand while looking at the underside of the changer, and you might be able to see what is happening.

(Doing this won't hurt anything.)
Dave Yustin

Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2012 6:44 pm     Rusler

Thanks for all the tips. I have had it upside down while operating the lever (I changed the existing setup to raise 1 and lower 6 on RKL when I discovered the problem). I can hear the individual spring coils catching. Have't found out what it is yet. Thanks for the help, I'll keep you posted when I figure it out.
Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2012 7:18 pm     me too

I agree with Jack - just call Chuck he bought the original Ruster company and I worked with him for several years - he knows that changer as well anyone.

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP