| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rains Guitars??
Tim Kowalski

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2012 7:57 am    

I was planning to send my Rains off to Gary for upgrades and a tune up, but the Rains website looks like a social network now.
I don't see any means to contact Gary directly - or speak with someone on the telephone. (No phone number on the site.)
Have there been major changes at Rains? Is Gary still running the place, or even with the company?

I have been away from the forum for a little while and must have missed something. I did see that David Hartley has moved away from endorsing their products.

Can someone please fill me in, or provide a link to a post that explains what is going on there?

Thanks in advance.
Tim

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2012 8:34 am    

Tim, Rains is still going strong as far as I know and I think Curtis is the main contact now but Gary is still involved. Just drop Curtis an email from the address on Rains site and he should get right back to you.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Peter Nylund

Finland
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2012 9:09 pm     Re: Rains Guitars??

Tim Kowalski wrote:
the Rains website looks like a social network now.
I don't see any means to contact Gary directly - or speak with someone on the telephone. (No phone number on the site.)
Have there been major changes at Rains? Is Gary still running the place, or even with the company?

I did see that David Hartley has moved away from endorsing their products.

Tim

Just my thoughts, the Rains website doesn't look very serious to me. I sent an email to the address on the site a couple of months ago and no answer. Maybe DH abandoned a sinking ship? Sad

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2012 4:55 am    

Just because a steel builder does not constantly self promote on the forum does not mean that they are not busy building steel guitars. I was up at Gary's shop just a couple weeks ago and he is as busy as ever.

Here is Gary's phone number; 817 560 2277

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2012 6:25 am    

Thanks for the information, Bob. I emailed Curtis yesterday morning, but will call Gary if I don't hear back within a reasonable time.

My concern is that there are some comments on the site stating that they were unable to make contact to place orders or get replacement parts. I would be very reluctant to send away a very nice guitar without absolute confidence.

I will see what happens and then make a decision regarding the upgrades.

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2012 12:22 pm     Not taking any chances

Okay, it has been a week since my email and there has been no response from Curtis.
I have decided that I am not comfortable with the whole situation at Rains. There is no reason for me to call Gary because I don't know him personally. Any assurance that he could offer would not be enough at this point.

I say if it something smells bad, it probably is.

It would be great if someone at Rains would just tell us what is going on. There may be a very valid reason for the sudden turn at the company. I would think that they should be concerned if they are serious about staying in the business. I'm not talking about promotion here - just basic customer service and informing their market.

The website is a joke. www.rainssteelguitars.com

Mohawk, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2012 8:21 am     Rains Guitars

I got my first Rains when Bob was still there. Since then I ordred and got another one. I sent my 06 back for the upgrade and had it back in less than two weeks. Of course, this has been a good while back. Having dealt with both Bob Rains and Gary Carpenter, I couldn't have asked for a better experience from either. Two very nice people who made an excellent guitar. I hope all is well with them. The situation, as I know it, is troubling. I would appreciate any information that anyone has. Thanks, Ol' Fred
Roger Francis

kokomo,Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2012 2:08 pm    

i just talked to Gary, All is well at Rains, they are very busy making guitars and doing up grades,
he is a very busy guy and don't do the web site he leaves that up to someone else. You can call him and he will be glad to talk to you about a guitar or up grade. IM not spokes person for him but i do own one of his guitars and was curios too in case i need something for mine
Roger Francis

kokomo,Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2012 2:10 pm    

i just talked to Gary, All is well at Rains, they are very busy making guitars and doing up grades,
he is a very busy guy and don't do the web site he leaves that up to someone else. You can call him and he will be glad to talk to you about a guitar or up grade. IM not spokes person for him but i do own one of his guitars and was curios too in case i need something for mine

as mentioned above PH 817-560-2277