| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Question about Supro 60 set
Steve Green

Gulfport, MS, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2012 12:02 pm    

I have a Supro 60 set just like the one pictured. I got the amp on Ebay several years ago, and just bought the guitar on Ebay a few months ago.

My problem is: I have to turn the volume WIDE OPEN on both the guitar and amp to get hardly any volume output at all.

I think the majority of my problem is the amp. I tested it this way: I ran the Supro 60 guitar through my Roland Micro-Cube amp and it sounded fine (much louder than through the original amp, though still not quite as loud as my Melobar).

I then ran my Melobar guitar through the Supro amp. It was somewhat louder than the Supro guitar, but even with WIDE OPEN volume it was still not very loud.

I guess my main question is, what can I do to increase the amp's volume? Would replacing all the tubes help?

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2012 7:06 pm    

Try swapping speakers... then try testing tubes. Also, the cathode capacitor on the final's bias resistor has a lot to do with output oomph... basically, get thee to an amp tech, or become one. They need to eat too!

Oahu, Hawaii USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2012 12:53 pm    

Also search the SGF for > supro pickup < and learn the several things that make Supro pickups weak, and what can be easily done for some problems and what other problems require some guitar tech work.

-------

Expounding on Stephen C's advice; Besides old amp componants simply breaking, ....When old amps sit unused for a long time some componants can either die or go into very deep sleep (requiring a knowledgeable slow wake-up), both requiring an amp tech. Since you asked the questions I must reiterate A PERSON SHOULD STAY OUT OF AMPLIFIERS UNTIL THEY LEARN ENOUGH TO KEEP FROM KILLING OR SERIOUSLY INJURING THEMSELVES, OR DAMAGING THE AMP; .... AMPS CAN KILL, OR MAIM, OR MAKE A PERSON SERIOUSLY WISH THEY HADN'T TINKERED UNWITTINGLY.

Best Wishes,

Please help support humanity:
http://www.redcross.org/en/aboutus