| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What sort of car do you use for gigs ?
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2012 5:17 am    

My trusty 96 Nissan pickup is dieing. I'm looking into getting a new pickup or car of some sort. What do you gigging players like ?

Must have easy load in. No lip on the trunk and not elevated past belt buckle height. That first lift into the bed or trunk can be a back killer.

I will not be moving the steel fully set up and out of the case ever.

I would like instruments to be not visible from the street when parked.

I will be mostly banging around town but regularly driving a couple hundred miles maybe with other pickers and gear.

I'm leaning towards a Toyota Takoma pickup with extended cab and a cap on the back but some of the new boxy looking cars look interesting.

Oh yea, I live in freakin Texas so I need to be able to run the AC while fully loaded and going fast up hills.

thanks for your ideas

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2012 5:32 am    

I would go with the Tacoma over a soccer mom van or car that the seats don't fold flat..
I just got a full size Ford van because I haul a lot of tools and don't like to load and unload to accommodate.
Now the mileage is OMG..lifestyle adjustment over the 30 MPG.
Durability and function is the factor for me...
Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Greenwell Springs, Louisiana (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2012 5:39 am    

I've been using my 1996 Toyota Camry to haul my stuff and it was horrible loading my rig into that car. So, when my Camry broke down one day and I needed a ride to a gig, my buddy took me there in his family's Chrysler Town & Country ... we opened the rear hatch and I couldn't believe how easy loading it was. The rear deck of it was low, so there's no high lifting like on a truck; everything just slid right in and there was space galore; I could have loaded two or three whole steel rigs if I'd wanted to.

Comfortable ride, easy loading and unloading of music equipment, ice cold A/C and plenty of power going up hills, etc. My next vehicle (if my Camry ever wears out): A Chrysler Town & Country. Smile
ProCo RAT R2DU Dual Distortion - Korg DT-1 Pro Tuner (Rack Mounted) - Furman PL-8 Power Bay
Goodrich Match-Bro by Buddy Emmons - BJS Steel Bar (Dunlop Finger Picks / Golden Gate Thumb Picks)
Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2012 5:40 am    

I've got a 2001 Ford Ranger ext cab with a cap over bed. The inside of the bed is totally carpeted so I keep sound system in back. Usually don't even take it out unless I use truck for something else. I also took the useless little jump seats out of back and made a flat floor with a carpeted piece of 3/4 plywood. It's the 4 door version.I haul my steel (setup) amp and packaseat there. Works really good. I really hate tearing down steel and setting back up. I can have my stuff unloaded and ready to play in ten minutes if I have to(Not counting sound system.)

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Last edited by Henry Matthews on 2 Aug 2012 5:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Paul Gavic

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2012 5:43 am    

I have a VW Jetta Wagon. Deisel gets 42 mpg and has a turbo fo all kinds of power. Can get my Sho Bud, amp, seat and PedalTrain case in the back and that gets covered with a retractible cover. My Strat, Tele and stand go accross the folded down seats. I though it was going to be too small but it is perfect. And has a decent stereo to boot.
Russ Tkac

Post  Posted 2 Aug 2012 5:51 am    

A 80 year old keyboard player in my area who still gigs was driving a Chevy HHR. He carries an 88 note Kawai ES-6 in a hard gigbag with wheels and an amp. It is low access, seats fold flat and he gets good gas milage. He said it was the best gigging car he ever had.

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2012 6:09 am    

Ford Explorer, big enough for all your gear, yet small enough to be fuel efficient.

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2012 6:42 am    

I really like my Astro Van:

Jeremy Steele

Princeton, NJ USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2012 6:46 am    

Honda Element. With the rear seats removed (or folded up) there's a ton of room in the back.
Doc Hall

Galveston, Tx
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2012 6:50 am    

2009 Acura RDX. Can get all my gear in the trunk area without having to fold down my rear seats. When I have to carry more than the norm, I fold down the rear seat.
Jake L

Grapevine, Texas
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2012 7:35 am    

I use a Ford F-150 with extended cab. I can fit my whole rig in it easily, and with tinted windows, it's hard to see inside. I am however, looking to get a Toyota FJ Cruiser in the near future.
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2012 8:06 am    

Honda Element. The polycarbonate floor is flat all the way to the front, the back seats can (individually or both) flip up out of the way or can be easily removed. If they're both removed, there's enough space to lay a double mattress in back of the front seats. Tailgate folds down like a pickup truck (not to the side like a Toyota Rav), equipment slides in easily from tailgate. Also easy to load from either side of car - front doors open to the front, rear doors open to the rear, leaving a nice big opening left and right.

But even without flipping up or removing the back seats, I routinely fit a pedal steel, full-size amp, 21" carry-on as a gig bag, 2-space rack, drum throne, and a couple of guitars in the rear compartment about up to where the windows start, leaving 4 seats available. If I remove the seats, I can easily add a moderate sized PA with 2 fronts and 2 monitors, or a 4-piece drum set in the remaining space, usually leaving some additional room for other small stuff.

And it's a 4WD, comfortable-to-drive, 4-seater car, not a truck. It looks as though Honda has stopped making these, unfortunately. But there are plenty out there. Far and away the best gigging vehicle I've ever had.

Last edited by Dave Mudgett on 2 Aug 2012 8:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2012 8:06 am    

2005 Mini Cooper S hatchback... not kidding, works great with the rear seat down. I can actually get a Session 400, Vibrolux Reverb, D-10 Emmons, pack seat, pedal bag and a Tele in the back (Tele is in a gig bag).

I'll show ya sometime Bob. You going to the Steel Guitar Co-op thing on Aug. 12?
ROBERT MYERS

HEDGESVILLE, W.VA. USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2012 8:08 am    

I use a 94 Camry most of the time but sometimes on outside gigs and rock a billy jobs I use this.

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2012 8:31 am    

Baja, Arizona
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2012 8:40 am    

'87 Suzuki Samurai

Getting there and back is half the fun!

Nebraska
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2012 9:38 am    

2012 Chev Sonic 38mpg average.

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2012 9:58 am    

2010 Dodge Caliber. Steel, amp, seat and cart all fit in hatchback area and still have room for four people. I used to have a Chevy Astro Van and I really liked it but No.3 son totalled it. I bought a Dodge 2500 van and got sick of 13-15 mpg so I got the Caliber. On a trip to Indy last year it got 34mpg. It also has a great touch screen radio.
Geoff Cline

Southwest France
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2012 10:00 am    

Dave Mudgett wrote:
Honda Element. The polycarbonate floor is flat all the way to the front, the back seats can (individually or both) flip up out of the way or can be easily removed. If they're both removed, there's enough space to lay a double mattress in back of the front seats. Tailgate folds down like a pickup truck (not to the side like a Toyota Rav), equipment slides in easily from tailgate. Also easy to load from either side of car - front doors open to the front, rear doors open to the rear, leaving a nice big opening left and right.

But even without flipping up or removing the back seats, I routinely fit a pedal steel, full-size amp, 21" carry-on as a gig bag, 2-space rack, drum throne, and a couple of guitars in the rear compartment about up to where the windows start, leaving 4 seats available. If I remove the seats, I can easily add a moderate sized PA with 2 fronts and 2 monitors, or a 4-piece drum set in the remaining space, usually leaving some additional room for other small stuff.

And it's a 4WD, comfortable-to-drive, 4-seater car, not a truck. It looks as though Honda has stopped making these, unfortunately. But there are plenty out there. Far and away the best gigging vehicle I've ever had.

Dave beat me to it. Heartily agree. Find a used Element. Could be the best musician (or dog owner) vehicle ever made.

Our other "gig mobile" is a VW Passat wagon with all wheel drive. AC is great, lots of room for gear and there is a built in cover to hid what is in back. Drives more like a sports car and is a bit more plush (leather seats, etc.). Bought it used and its been great ...thanks to Vee Dub Austin.

I live in the Hill Country and gig all over Central TX...so these vehicles have been "field tested" in your actual 'hood. Mr. Green
Jerry Malvern

Menifee, California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2012 10:19 am    

I have the Honda Element too. I would also look at the Ford Ranger, as there are some new 2011's still available.
Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2012 10:58 am    

PT Cruizer
Gary Lee Gimble

Fredericksburg, VA.
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2012 11:45 am    

I'm with Bill Terry on this...

Franklin

Post  Posted 2 Aug 2012 12:17 pm    

Toyota Prius....Easy load in, hatch back, low to the ground......I've carried....Two 12" speakers cabs, two Little Walter amp heads, a pedal board, seat, D10, dobro, and pedabro......and 48 MPG in town.

PF
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2012 12:33 pm    

When playin' at church, I carry my steel, amp, and seat in a Dodge Dakota pickup truck. When playin' shows in Georgia, usually I carry my gear in a rental car. The Dodge Dakota truck's got a cover on it so all the gear rides in the back, but the steel stays in the case.

Brett

Last edited by Brett Day on 2 Aug 2012 12:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Archie Nicol R.I.P.

Ayrshire, Scotland
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2012 12:36 pm    

`Toyota Prius....Easy load in, hatch back, low to the ground......I've carried....Two 12" speakers cabs, two Little Walter amp heads, a pedal board, seat, D10, dobro, and pedabro......and 48 MPG in town.`...and arrive at the gig then realise you've left your picks and bars on the mantelpiece! Winking

Arch.