| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Amps question or two
Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2012 11:05 pm    

I'm not a amp tech or anything but I've wondered for a long time about 3 separate amps and I figured now might be a good time to learn something, as I read all the time and see some guys know quite a lot about amps and such. The Sho-Bud amps for one thing. Who actually built those and anyone know about the watts, ohms, etc. Years they were built. Same thing about the Emmons amps that were made at one time. The last part here probably sounds odd for a steel player to be curious about but years ago, there was a music magazine that came out with the "Orange" amps in it. I used to see some of them on the "Midnight Special" with Wolfman Jack. Thanks.
Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2012 4:30 am     amps

here you go billy .orange amps

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_Music_Electronic_Company
David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2012 5:15 pm    

Billy, as for the Emmons Amps they were made by B.K. Butler. Same company that made the Mosvalve amps. The Emmons sounded OK but not especially great by any means. The cabinet was "very" heavy and thus the amp weighed in around 70 lbs. or so.
Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2012 6:36 pm    

The original Emmons amps from the late 60s/early 70s were made by Standel...they looked like the Standel of that period but with different grille cloth...there was
a ZB Custom amp that was the same thing...these were great sounding amps...kind of low powered,but people didn't play so loud back then.
Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2012 6:37 pm    

There were several different Sho-Bud amps...which one are you referring to,Billy?
David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2012 7:47 pm    

Steve, I assumed Billy was referring to the Emmons LeGrande amps with my reply. You are absolutely correct on the earlier Emmons amps...
Dave Mr. Green

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2012 8:59 am    

...and you were spot on about the later ones...wonder why they didn't sound good...I use Mosvalve power amps every day in the studio and love'em...but I use the Mesa Boogie preamps...BIG difference....and the Eminence speaker helps...
André Sommer

Post  Posted 11 Sep 2012 6:29 pm    

David Higginbotham wrote:
Billy, as for the Emmons Amps they were made by B.K. Butler. Same company that made the Mosvalve amps. The Emmons sounded OK but not especially great by any means. The cabinet was "very" heavy and thus the amp weighed in around 70 lbs. or so.

I must be one of the very few players who still uses this amp. I understand that "sound" is subjective and in the ear of the beholder but, imho, this is an excellent sounding amp. The magic of this thing is in the contour knob, which I believe interacts with both the low and the mid frequencies. However, I do use an old Boss SE70 in between the volume pedal and the amp for a few minor EQ corrections, though.

This amp is also very reliable. I don't remember when I bought it new but I believe I've had it for some 14 years or so and never, ever had a single problem with it. And believe me, this thing has been around the block numerous times all over Europe.

Before I bought it, I used a Peavey Nashville 400 (the old model, not modded) which I still have but haven't used after I got the Emmons. Actually, the fiddle player in our band is currently using my Nashville 400.

Yes, this thing is quite heavy, indeed (about 66 lbs/30 Kilogram) and can go extremely loud without clipping. TBH, it's almost too powerful. (I'm actually looking into getting a Roland Cube 80 XL for the smaller venues, based on the many good reviews here).

Anyway, I'm still very happy with this Emmons amp. It has served me very well. Here's a link to the website of a Dutch country band that I'm currently playing in which has a few clips of me using this amp (click on "Videos": http://www.musicroadpilots.com/#/media.html

I realize these aren't the best of recordings since they were done with an amateur camera and the sound is from the built in mic but hopefully it'll give a bit of an impression. The last video clip was recorded during a festival in France where I had no other choice but to use a Peavey Stereo Chorus, btw.

P.S. The steel I'm using on all clips is an old Zumsteel, Stage One model.