| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Roland cube 80XL vs NV400
Don Hinkle

Springfield Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2012 5:14 pm    

I play a (or sometimes 2) nashville 400's on gigs... I absolutely love the sound.
PLENTY of volume for PLENTY of sustain when needed.... I ordered a 80XL just to see what the buzz is about.
Right now, I feel 90% certain that I will be sending it back... It "might" compete with the NV112.. but I can't see how it can even be in the same ballpark with the NV400.
Ya, the NV400 is heavy.. but you only carry it for 30 seconds total... and play through it for hours....

I will play with the amp tomorrow - going in with open eyes (and ears)

Don
Fender guitars
Fender amps
Roger Dillingham

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2012 6:15 pm     Roland Cube 80XL vs. Nashville 400

Don, I am glad to hear someone else is comparing these two and also comparing to a Nashville 112. I, like you, have been contemplating a Cube 80XL purchase, but have just about convinced myself I would probably be better off with a used Nashville 400 instead. I like the idea of a smaller and especially lighter amp, but of what few demos I have heard the Cube seems to be too shrill and trebly to suit me. I know the sound of most Nashville 400's is stellar in comparison to most other SS amps. I would really be interested in hearing your final take on these two, once you have had more seat time with the Cube 80XL! I know this doesn't benefit you in any way, but I would appreciate if you would PM me concerning your opinion on this. If not, please post and we can all benefit from your input. Thanks, again! Roger Smile Smile
Curt Langston

Post  Posted 6 Sep 2012 6:32 pm    

Quote:
I like the idea of a smaller and especially lighter amp, but of what few demos I have heard the Cube seems to be too shrill and trebly to suit me.

Indeed.

That's because the Nashville 400s preamp is designed for steel.

The Cube 80 is designed for six string electric. We all like the idea of a lightweight, loud, clear and clean amp. Without a way to EQ out the 700-800 frequency range, the Cube 80 will indeed sound shrill, or thin.

Again, it was not made for steel.
Steven Finley

California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2012 6:44 pm    

I have 2 cubes,if you know how to dial them in
they match or out do anything out there,just sold
nashville 400 and 112,imo they cant touch the cube
for tone quality,but if raw power is your thing
keep your 400
Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2012 8:06 pm     Comparing the Cube 80XL to NV112, NV400 and NV1000

Not every amp is for every player, certainly not me. I used a 400LTD for years, had a problem with it and had to send it for repairs. Had gigs so I bought a NV1000 to use. Hated it. To heavy and sounded sterile to me compared to the LTD. Got the LTD back from repairs, never sounded the same. Bought an NV112 and it was acceptable at higher volumes, re-chipped it and liked it better. Bought a second, then a third. Sold off the 1000. Gave one of the 112s away. Then got a deal on an NV400. Never used the 112s after that. Re-chipped and put a Neo speaker in the 400, liked it even better. No longer playing louder larger gigs. Bought my first Cube. Loved it out of the box with the E-66 on my SD10. Great tone at even the lowest volume levels. Just ordered a second to pair up for medium gigs. I'll keep the 400, but it's starting to gather dust. Right now the Cube is all I need and am using. But that is just me. YOMD
Don Hinkle

Post  Posted 7 Sep 2012 4:06 am    

I really appreciate the input from you Dick... I love the chronological timeline!!!
I will post my thoughts soon.
Fender guitars
Fender amps
rpetersen

Iowa
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2012 5:03 am    

I have owned several Session 400's, 112's, a 1000 - And the only thing I have found that comes close to a sweet tone that the 80XL has is the old Session & LTD's

But for $300 and all the options with it - It is a winner and I didn't have to spend a fortune on it with chip kits etc. after I bought it

kokomo,Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2012 6:26 am    

From my experience you have to break the speaker in on the cube, I've done gigs with mine and now I'm playing it a lot in my music room and it keeps sounding better all the time, I do use a black box with it so that prob makes a diff but as far as solid state or digital amps go its it's a very good amp, after using the blk face setting for a good period of time I find no shrill HIs anywhere on the neck and the lows and mids stand out great, you can hear great separation of the notes and it seems to have a little tube like edge to it, I've had just about all the PV amps made for steel at one time or another and they are great work horses, I don't try to compare the sound of the cube to anything else I just play through it and if I like what I'm hearing then that's good enough, I'm getting a second one soon, I think 2 is plenty for just about any gig I would have, I can always mic if I need too
Don Hinkle

Post  Posted 7 Sep 2012 12:37 pm    

OK - I have played it off and on for about 4 hours today.
Certainly the speaker isn't broken in however here are my thoughts.

I would rather carry 2 of my NV400's and only use 1 as apposed to my initial impressions of this amp.

Don't get me wrong, it does sound decent however TO ME, it sounds like most other digital guitar amps that are voiced for 6 string application.

To me, the highs are too clean and "ice picky" - I can roll off the highs and/or presence and then it gets muddy. It seems that the tone controls are very sensitive.

The setting that I liked the best was the black face setting. I had the post gain on 10, and the gain at 50% or a little bit less.
Emmons LG3 with Emmons 108N hum bucker into goodrich pot pedal, into the roland 80XL.
The little booger is pretty loud - however it seemed that if I pushed the pedal more than 75%, it would distort a small amount if I was playing 2 strings or more.
I'm guessing that my NV400 would be the same volume with post on 8 and pre on 2 or 3.. which is pretty loud however, the NV400 would be clean as could be...

My initial opinion is that if I only had 340.00 and could only buy a new amp, I would consider this amp.
My preference would be a used and abused NV400 by a long shot.
I have had a NV112 in the past with and without upgrade chips... I think that the sound of it was maybe a little better (its been 2 years) but not by a long shot.

YMMV

Don
Fender guitars
Fender amps
Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2012 2:32 pm    

Don, I agree with you, I have the 80x, the earlier model. Bought it used. Plug it in every now and then, play some, and go back the the NV 112. Sometimes I wonder if the sound I prefer is something totally different than what most like. What I hear from the 80x is too much treble and a kind of muddy bass sound and really poor built in effects. I could live with it if it were the only amp I own, but if that was the case I'd saving my money for something else. I also tried the GK MB200, everyone seemed to love it too. It has some of the same qualities, and I pretty much gave up on using it for a steel amp. But each to his own, I guess.
Roger Dillingham

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2012 5:57 pm     Cube 80XL vs Nashville 400

Don (and Bill), I appreciate your candid, frank, comments on the comparison of the Cube 80XL to NV400. I really wish I could try one of these little amps before I make the plunge, but from what I have been able to discern with some of the youtube performances where the amps were used; I have not been overly impressed. Maybe a great value for the dollar spent, I don't doubt that. But for how much tone can you buy with that amount of cash outlay, I'm really not sure it is the best choice by any means. Also, though I hate to admit it, I can hardly bear to look at the little booger because to me it has no visual appeal at all. I know esthetics shouldn't mean much in an amplifier purchase, but I would be lying if I told you do I thought it was a good-looking little amp! IMHO the term "butt-ugly" comes to mind. Thanks for all the input on this topic! Roger Smile
Johan Jansen

Europe
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2012 12:03 am    

I vote for the N 400. A calculator with a speaker like the XL80 can't replace the real thing, except a real modeling amp/processor like the ultra-axe. But then we don't talk about 300 $.
For the money the XL80 is a good choice, and I prefer it above a turbo'd 112.
George McLellan

Duluth, MN USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2012 4:18 am     what about the pickup?

I am wondering what pickup the people that say it's too trebley use? I use the clean setting, usng a True tone in my Willy S10 and find no problem finding the tone I prefer. I use the blackface with a Strat or Jazzmaster and like that too.

Geo
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2012 5:36 am    

well at least we moved on from the Cube80 vs the Twin Reverb !

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2012 9:39 am    

Quote:
Ya, the NV400 is heavy.. but you only carry it for 30 seconds total... and play through it for hours....

Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2012 1:58 pm    

Quote:

Don't know what sort of gigs you play at that only takes thirty seconds to get into, but certainly not the ones I seem to get.As a chronic backache sufferer, I had to get rid of both my 400 and my pre RP d10 Mullen, both excellent pieces of kit, but opened my eyes as to what lighter and to my ears sounding equally good were available (in my case MB200 with 12 inch speaker)Even lifting the 400 in and out of car was enough to cause severe pain, let alone have to carry it from parking lot. down corridors , up stairs, etc after doing so and then playing a set with pain all way through set, I quite often had to get other band members help me get up off steel seat.Although sorry to see the 400 go, but you have to do what you have to do to keep playing,actually no laughing matter Richard.Sincerely hope you are never a back pain sufferer.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 10 Sep 2012 4:06 pm    

Well Malcolm. I am a serious back injury sufferer. I just don't complain about it. I have herniated disks in L4 and L5 that cause sciatica in both my legs as well as lower back pain, and frequent (meaning several times every day) killer upper back spasms that sometimes knock me to the floor. Also have another pinched nerve that causes pain and numbness in my right arm and hand, as well as tendonitis in my right hand and elbow (already had surgery to repair the herniated disks in my neck to correct a pinched nerve that did this to my left arm a few years ago). Get yourself a hand truck if an amp you like, and want to use, is too heavy.

If I have gigs where I have to carry my stuff more than a "30 second trip", I use a frickin' hand truck of some sort. "Stairs" you say? That's tough stuff, but again hand truck it to the stairs, carry it up, and hand truck it again from there.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2012 9:57 pm    

Richard, I am indeed sorry to hear you are a fellow back sufferer, and like you say I also use a hand truck, but have taken the path to minimise the pain and try and stop any further injury by using lighter gear, unlike yourself, just my opinion but looking after my health comes first, if you choose not to,that is your choice, but in my humble opinion not a clever thing to do,and just to make it clear I was not complaining merely stating fact.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2012 1:40 am    

Gear is gear...we each use the gear WE decide to use...I too am older and suffer from chronic back issues and have since I was 20...but I figure out how to use the most appropriate gear to my liking...In 2001, my left arm went to sleep for 6 months...if something touched my arm I was in sever pain...say hello to meds for 6 months...I couldn't even touch the neck of a guitar...but , as things improved I found a way...

My guitars are now strung with 9's and I still carry a Twin Reverb...it's what I WANT to do...I find a way...If there are stairs, I carry a Showman head and 2 / S12 cabs...it's really that easy...

actually, over the last 10 or more years I can't even recall doing a gig where I had to carry the Twin up any stairs...I use a small cart, $49 from Home Depot...it's an amazing invention, it's flat, has a handle, has wheels and you can put stuff on it that you do not want to carry ! I wish I invented it...

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Micky Byrne

United Kingdom (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2012 1:47 am    

Malcolm...well said on both accounts...I'm yet another back sufferer...plus many other things, and for me I went the Cube way ..and Roger you "CAN" get some good tone with very little money..Eg the Cube Winking I've mentioned before on some of the other threads that i've had all the big Peavey's, Evans etc. If the Cube wasn't good I certainly wouldn't use it. I have 2 so it's twice the power, and plenty enough for most gigs even without a line out which by the way I don't use...I sooner my SM-57 any day. As for looks, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think they look good and are constructed better than most amps i've used,very solid and robust....no tearable front grill but a metal one. As for the youtube clips, it's just the heavy metal players they cater for, not a steel player. I guess Rolands don't know as yet what a good steel amp they've produced. I still have my Nashville 400, but there's no reason to use it anymore. I like what I'm hearing now Smile

Micky Byrne U.K.

Sho-Bud and Carter universals
Nashville 400 in split cabs with Neo mag
2 Roland Cube 80XL's
Telecaster b-bender
Ovation Viper electro acoustic
Yamaha acoustic
Gianinni Brazilian hand made electro classical
Lots of Boss units including Rv-3's (not needed anymore) Smile
Boss RT-20
www.micky-byrne.co.uk
Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2012 4:01 am    

Thanks Micky, have only had chance to try cube at a friends house, it sounded real good.I don't think I can get much lighter or better sounding than the gear I use, but might at some point get rid of my 112, which I have not used since getting the MB200,and get cube as a spare.Hope you are keeping well.Regards Malcolm
Tony many venues over here in the UK are upstairs due to the elderly type buildings and general lack of space compared you guys in US.I play in at least a couple that have two flights of stairs and no elevator, one I don't do now had four flights and no elevator.Glad to hear you have recovered from your injury, take care.
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2012 9:25 am    

If it hurts to do something, you should probably stop doing it! ---> Click Here

Laughing Laughing
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 11 Sep 2012 9:57 am    

I also use a cart/hand truck like the following link.

CLICK HERE

Everything fits in one load.

I do have to lift my stuff into and out of the back of a pickup truck, but the pain only lasts while I am actually lifting. So, no big deal. Actually, the pinched nerve is a bigger issue. That pain is with me 24/7 and does get worse during lifting. Heck, I can't even turn around in my seat and turn off my amp with that hand. If I can find a day job with insurance, I will eventually get the operation to relieve the pressure in my neck on that nerve and have those vertebrae fused also.
Don Hinkle

Post  Posted 11 Sep 2012 5:45 pm    

I guess I should also have mentioned that I have wheels on both of my NV400's.
I put my seat on top of one of the 400's and push that in.
If I am careful enough, I can put my Emmons D10 on the 2nd NV400 and push it in... the guitar on the amp is more of a balancing act.. but it can be done!

I was just playing tonight - absolutely love my NV400's....
I actually own 3 of them as well as;
1 session 400
1 vegas 400
1 special 112
no doubt the NV400's are my fav... especially the 2 with wheels!
Fender guitars
Fender amps
Mike Bowles

Princeton, West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2012 7:21 pm     cube

well i got mine today im still trying to figure it out.tried it more with my tele than i did with my mullen kinda like it with 6 string but have not dialed in a good steel tone yet i wont be getting rid of my 112 any time soon.i do use the black box with steel.at any rate i have not give enough time to really evaluate it.