| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pictures added - 1977 Clark D-10
Keith Howard

London Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2012 11:25 am    

I just purchased a Clark D-10 Lacquered Pedal Steel. Looking for what you guys think it may be worth. It's a 2 owner, ser number 176 sold originally at Sonny's Guitar shop in Columbus Ohio in 1977. I haven't received it yet but in the pictures that I saw before buying it, it appears to be in excellent condition. I looked back through the forum and cannot find where anyone has even listed a Clark for sale. I realize that there were not very many made. Trying to decide if I'm going to resale it or keep it. Any help with an appraisal would be appreciated.

Last edited by Keith Howard on 2 Aug 2012 5:25 am; edited 1 time in total
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2012 11:30 am    

if you're not buying a steel to play, i recommend donating it to someone who will!
Keith Howard

London Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2012 11:34 am    

Well... I've got three of them and I do play. Just thinking there may be someone out there who would really like to own this Clark more than me. I just don't know what it is worth. I took a chance and bought it because they are so rare. Hoping someone has seen one sell in the past 10 years and can tell me what it sold for.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2012 1:34 pm    

There are 2 or 3 earlier posts for Clarks for sale in the classifieds. Just do a search for Clark pedal steels and check the Steel Guitars For Sale box.
Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 30 Jul 2012 1:36 pm    

I'll give you $500 for it.
R Crow

Hectorville, OK USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2012 5:26 pm    

Jim Clark lives in Owasso, Oklahoma and is still making these.

Rick
Joel Shaffer

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2012 5:57 pm    

Here you go.

http://clarksteelguitars.com/Home.html

I was at his shop 1 1/2 years ago he had several guitars for sale.
Joel Shaffer

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2012 6:40 am    

Cartwright Thompson wrote:
I'll give you $500 for it.

I'll give 600 for it but I think his guitars are worth a little more that that. He has purchased some of his guitars back and has rebuild them. He also has been building new guitars. Some pictures are on his web site.
Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 31 Jul 2012 7:04 am    

I was being facetious. To expect someone to make a fair guess at the value of a steel guitar when all you have to go on is "D-10" and "appears to be in excellent condition" is ridiculous.
Also, "rarity" in the pedal steel world is not always a good thing.
Gary Preston

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2012 7:29 am     '' Good Find ''

Very Happy I know Sonny Curtis personally ,He lives down the road from me . It is hard to say what any used guitar is worth these days . But i will say it will go for over $2000.00 any day of the week ! Sonny has two i think . I have one myself . Like a street rod it's worth what anyone is willing to pay fore it ! I hope this helps . P.S. the only problem with the older double neck guitars is that they are heavy as lead to carry ! Same thing goes for amps ! Thats why i split up one of my Nashville 400's with a Rick Johnson split cabinet . G.P.
Keith Howard

London Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2012 10:44 am    

Cartwright, I realized that you were being silly. I assumed that there would be some forum members with an understanding of the quality, rarity and exceptional sound of the Clark Pedal Steels. Anyone not familar with the Clark would probabbly low ball the thing if the would make an offer at all. What I was really seeking was someone with knowledge of the Clark brand/history to weigh in on my question. I'll probably keep it forever. Just trying to figure out if I got a really good deal or just a deal. Thanks to all for weighing in here.
Todd Brown

W. Columbia , South Carolina
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2012 12:44 pm    

Off topic, but who is the steel player with Freddie Hart in the video on Mr. Clark's homepage?? The band is "The Harvey's". Here is a direct link http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yzRhrBCHiBU#!

On a side note, I didn't know the history of Clark steel guitars. I've seen a few snickers before about them on here. I've also noticed a few D-10's going on ebay the past year or so for around $1500 or less, so I think $2000 or more is probably shooting a little high. Not to say they're not worth it, but ya know, it's what people will pay. I had no idea pro's like Sonny Curtis and a few others played them. They look to be well built quality guitars from the pics on his website. A lotta good pics are there. Didn't know he was still building either.

Let's see some pics of what you got, Keith! Smile
Terry Wood

Lebanon, MO
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2012 12:59 pm    

Hi Keith,

I never played the Clark Steels but they are really good steels. Sonny Curtis played them. He was with George Jones and Tammy Wynette for years.

Mr. Clark is still around and builds some steels. He lives near Tulsa, OK. I saw him there last year when I played the OK Steel Show. He seems like a nice guy.

Terry Wood
Gary Preston

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2012 3:30 pm    

I have been around the Clark guitars for many years now . Sonny Curtis was the Vice President of Clark guitars . I have a Clark steel guitar . They are well made and have a great reputation around here . Don't ever sell these guitars short of quality and appearance . The tone of these guitars as as good as any ! Sonny made sweet music with his ! As i said any used guitar is worth what someone is willing to pay for them . But that goes for new guitars also right ? G.P. P.S. i will stick with the $2000.00 if the guitar is in great condition !

If you watched the He Haw reruns you will see Sonny playing his Clark guitar with George Jones .
Tommy Minniear

Logansport, Indiana
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2012 5:13 am    

Todd Brown wrote:
Off topic, but who is the steel player with Freddie Hart in the video on Mr. Clark's homepage?? The band is "The Harvey's".

What Freddie Hart is saying is, "Ladies and Gentlemen: The Heartbeats." That was the name of his band. I can easily see how what he said could be mistaken for "The Harveys". The steel player is J.D. Walters.

The video is a fine demonstration of really cool pedal steel guitar. I had the opportunity to play a single neck once and I thought it played and sounded great.
Todd Brown

W. Columbia , South Carolina
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2012 10:10 am    

Laughing Yeah, I thought he said "The Harvey's". The Hartbeats does make more sense! Thanks Tommy!!
Keith Howard

London Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2012 3:00 am     Pictures added

Now that she has arrived, I thought I'd share some pictures of the mystery guitar. Appears to me that it has sat in the case more than it was ever played. The case buy the way looks brand new. Its a 9.99 out of 10 with no scuffs and shiny latches and hunges. There are some pretty nasty bar dings between the necks but otherwise the finish is original and gorgeous.

MEchanically,it shows little or no wear. However, it has several problems in the set up that I am still working on resolving. Whoever owned it did not have it set up right at all. Stop screws where backed off, pedals horribly adjusted, E's to F was only pulling the 8th string and not pulling the 4th.

It was a one owner guitar and was purchased from the widow of original owner. Pretty sure it spent most of the past 35 years in the closet.

Dennis Wireman

North West Indiana 47978
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2012 3:33 am     clark

man that is one nice looking steel you got there . Looks well built. how does it sound?
Keith Howard

London Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2012 4:19 am    

Dennis,
I haven't even changed the old strings on it yet but still sounds great. I'm still trying to get the pedals and levers all set up adjusted properly. I'm sure I'm gonna keep it now that I've got to play it a little. I started this post thinking I may sell it and was trying to determine a value.

It was sold new in 1977 at Sony's Guitar shop in Columbus Ohio to Billy Gaston. His widow lives in Florida and sold it to a 71 year old guitar player who thought he'd try to learn steel. After a few months he gave up and listed it for sale. When I opened the case, there was the original sales receipt made out to Billy Gaston from Sonny's Guitar Shop for $1750 plus freight and tax. Pretty cool.

Not sure if anyone here knew Billy Gaston but I can't find any info on him which is another reason I beleive the guitar was played very little.
Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2012 5:30 am    

First one of those I've seen. Really nice looking rig. Sorta looks ZB top side and Kline underside.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Geoff Cline

Southwest France
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2012 5:43 am    

Bee-you=tee-full. Congrats. Tune up that hot rod and play it!!
Joel Shaffer

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2012 9:01 am    

Cartwright Thompson wrote:
I was being facetious. To expect someone to make a fair guess at the value of a steel guitar when all you have to go on is "D-10" and "appears to be in excellent condition" is ridiculous.
Also, "rarity" in the pedal steel world is not always a good thing.

Me too. I was just trying to have fun and add some information with is. Sorry if I was taken serious. Very Happy
Tracy Sheehan

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2012 11:39 pm     Re. A side note.

Just wondering how many know Freddie Hart also taught martial arts (karate) to the L.A.police dept?
Tracy
Gary Preston

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2012 5:33 am    

Very Happy Bump for a great looking steel guitar . G.P.
Tim Sergent

Hendersonville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2012 8:59 am    

My late, dear friend, Jerry Taylor bought a Clark off of Sonny back in the '70's. Said it was a great guitar. I never got to play it, but he talked a lot about it so I know he really liked it..