| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hank williams sr steel players
Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2012 11:18 pm    

Ok I know Jerry Byrd and Don Helms recorded with him but other than them were there any more maybe some at some point who didnt record just played some shows.
Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2012 11:33 pm    

Don Davis recorded a few sides with Hank.

Kind Regards, Walter

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2012 6:07 am    

Gene Fye (who lives near me here in Central PA) played steel with Hank on the Louisiana Hayride for a period in the late 40s. I think these were broadcast, tend to doubt there are any transcriptions available.
Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2012 10:21 am    

I have heard of Don davis did not know he played on some hank recordings and the second player Gene Fye Im not familiar with.Dave I am not sure if they recorded those shows or not there could be some transcripts around a lot of the time old shows are thought to be gone or lost and they turn up so you never know.
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2012 1:07 pm    

There was an article with a picture of Gene with Hank (courtesy of Clearfield, PA musician John Moore) at this URL - http://personal.inet.fi/koti/joutsi/readers9.html - from 2003.

That article (and that whole website, for that matter) is gone now, but it's available at the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine here - Click Here.

The Internet Archive is cool, but I'm putting up the just the section on Gene and Hank here - http://acs.ist.psu.edu/mudgett/files/gene-fye-article.html - to me, this is too important to let it just die.

I haven't seen Gene in quite a while, but he has always been one of the area's finest steel players, in my eyes and those of many others I know. He was certainly active through the 1990's, and The Moore Brothers website has, off and on, mentioned him playing with them in the last 10 years.
Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2012 3:59 pm    

Thanks for putting that article up I enjoy reading anything hank williams and I always enjoy looking at old country music pictures.
Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2012 4:00 pm    

I dont think there was but was there ever a pedal steel used with hank williams or on any recordings by him.
Jim R. Harrison

North Vancouver, B. C., Canada
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2012 10:42 am    

Another steel player with Hank Williams was Doyle Turner, Robby Turner's father. See attached photo that Robby's mom, Bernice autographed for me a few years ago.

ROBERT MYERS

HEDGESVILLE, W.VA. USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2012 12:02 pm    

http://www.angelfire.com/ny3/thedriftingcowboys/bios.html

Hear's some good reading. I got this link from my friend Joe Penny who played guitar with Hank

Gallatin, Tn USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2012 5:32 am    

My good friend Billy Robinson once told me that he played for Hank at Hanks very first appearance on the Opry.

He gave me a photo of it, when time permits I will try and find it and post it here.

Not to stray too far off topic, but I also think it is very cool that as an artist Shot commissioned Billy to design what I consider to be the most pretigious logo in the biz, SHO~BUD.

NTSGA #3

"Practice cures most tone issues" ~ John Suhr
Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2012 6:38 am    

Yea shobud is a great logo.when you get a chance I would like to see that picture so if you can put it up on here.
Tony Davis

Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2012 5:37 pm    

Forumite and friend..Bill Stafford played with Hank senior one time and I do believe Scotty either played with him or was on a Hank show when he was still in school..(Scotty that is)
Tony Dingus

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2012 6:40 pm    

I had a cousin named JC "Tex" Spangler that played for Hank. I don't know if he recorded with him or not.

Tony
Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2012 7:07 pm    

I had no idea that many people had played with hank.
Joe Goldmark

San Francisco, CA 94131
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2012 7:17 pm    

Local player, Dan Boyd, played with Hank at the Oakland Auditorium for a show. It was a highlight of his career.

Joe
Tommy Minniear

Logansport, Indiana
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2012 4:05 am    

I read that Jimmy Day played some shows with him after Hank returned to Louisiana Hayride. As a side note, years later Jimmy recorded a tribute album to Don Helms.
Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2012 9:35 am    

I have heard that Jimmy Day was going to get to join the drifting cowboys I have no idea if that was true but supposedly he was going to get a spot in the band in 1953 but that time never came.I didnt know Jimmy Day had ever played with hank though so thats new to me.
Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2012 4:44 pm    

Daniel McKee wrote:
I dont think there was, but was there ever a pedal steel used with Hank Williams, or on any recordings by him?
The question as to whether Hank ever had a pedal steel player in his band brings up the question, since Hank died 1/1/54, what pedal steels were available back then ? I only know of the Harlin Multikord and the Gibson Electraharp.
Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2012 8:01 pm    

I am thinking hank actually died on 1/1/53 but anyway not many pedal steels would have been availible I guess wright custom had made some by then and bigsby but I think thats about it other than the ones you mentioned.I have just wondered if any pedal steels were ever used in his band.
Jussi Huhtakangas

Helsinki, Finland
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2012 4:08 am    

Jimmy Day played with Hank on his last public performance, at Austin's Skyline Club. Incidentally, Johnny Horton also played his last show there in -60. And incidentally, Hank and Johnny both were married to a same woman when they passed away; Billie Jean Jones. Spooky!
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2012 4:23 am    

Jussi Huhtakangas wrote:
Jimmy Day played with Hank on his last public performance, at Austin's Skyline Club. Incidentally, Johnny Horton also played his last show there in -60. And incidentally, Hank and Johnny both were married to a same woman when they passed away; Billie Jean Jones. Spooky!

Who was the bigamist Jussi? Laughing (Or did the wives just share the same name?)
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Jussi Huhtakangas

Helsinki, Finland
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2012 4:33 am    

I did some checking and it seems that the steel player on Hank's last show was Jim Grabowski, not Jimmy Day ( who's also been said to doing that show. ). Also, it seems that Grabowski was there at Skyline when Johnny Horton played his last show Shocked
Harold Dye

Cullman, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2012 6:17 am    

Here is a link that may be of interest. It is long and toward the end lists a number of Nashville known steel players that did some recordings for Hank.

http://www.angelfire.com/ny3/thedriftingcowboys/bios.html
Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2012 9:16 am    

Ken Byng wrote:
Jussi Huhtakangas wrote:
...Hank and Johnny both were married to a same woman when they passed away; Billie Jean Jones. Spooky!

Who was the bigamist Jussi? Laughing (Or did the wives just share the same name?)

No, same woman, but Hank was dead by the time she married Johnny Horton. Rolling Eyes
A similar thing happened with Buddy Holly's wife. It's not unusual for spouses of musicians to marry other musicians in later life, after all, once you're in the show business community a high proportion of the people you meet are also in that community, so it's only natural. Several of the members of this Forum are married to the former-wives of other musicians/singers, and there's nothing wrong with that.
Bill Cook

Montgomery, Alabama, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2012 11:45 am     Hank Sr.

Being from Hank's neck of the woods, almost everybody in these parts played with Hank. Playing a lot at Hank's Museum I get flooded with people who say my daddy my uncle, my brother all played with Hank!! If Hank had that many people playing with him, he would have never been heard above all the instruments!! I talked a lot with Jimmy Porter and he told me of the steel players, who actually played with Hank for any duration!! There were not very many!!