| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What's that thing you're playing?
Riley Hart

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2012 7:15 am    

Fun story; We've all had people from the audience come up and ask us what that thing is we're playing. Funny keyboard? etc.

On my break last night, I had a similar request from a gentleman who came up while I was tuning, and asked me, "what is this"?

As usual, I explained, it's a pedal steel guitar. He replied, "Oh i know that, I play one myself. Who made it?" I explained that the guitar was a left handed conversion made by my friend out of a box of parts of unknown origin, but I suspected might have a few mci parts in it.

So this gentleman, who I learned was one David Villa from Florida and I, proceeded to talk a bit, learned he played Day setup(which is what my guitar is), He played a few tunes at the beginning of the set, and I was blown away of course.

Here's the kicker; while he was playing, I sat down at a table and this lady came up to me and asked me why I wasn't playing, and who is the guy playing my keyboard!

So my faith in the audience was restored lol...
Riley Hart

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2012 7:48 am    

I'm sorry, coffee just kicked in, the guy was Larry Villa, not David. First time I've heard my guitar played by someone who really knew how...
Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2012 9:12 am    

That was a rare incident Riley. I like the story Smile

Larryville, NJ, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2012 1:36 pm    

Nice story Riley. I got one for ya. Mustabeen 20 years ago. We were at the gig, and on break. So I'm sitting at a table chatting with some "older" folks.(I was 20 years younger Smile ) So these folks were having ALOT of fun and getting boozed up. It was later in the eve. So the guy took out his false teeth and set them on the table and was making funny faces and crackin' us up. So this other gal came back to the table, took one look at the teeth and screeched and smashed the teeth. She thought it was somekinda crab. You had to be there.
Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2012 2:29 pm    

I was doing a bar gig in the San Fernando Valley a few years back - 1987, if I remember right. I was playing keyboard that night and Dan Dugmore was playing his stand-up Fender Stringmaster.
On one of the breaks I was standing in front of the stage and this guy comes up to me - he was about 70, and half in the bag - and say's, "You're pretty good on that steel guitar". I figured he just got me and Dan mixed up...we looked kind of similar in the dark and after a few.
I told him thanks, but I'm the keyboard player, pointing to my rig. That's the steel guitar over there, I told him, pointing to Dan's setup on the other side of the stage.
"Uh-uh", he said. And pointing to my Yamaha KX88 and rack full of blinking lights, he said, "Well, in my day, that was a steel guitar!"

Figure that one out....
Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2012 7:13 am    

I once heard a name for it which I liked: Guitar Organ.