| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Attn:New England Pedal Steel lovers.
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2005 1:17 pm    

I have just been informed that Frankie Caruso once again will have his Steel Show jam Oct 23rd In Waltham Mass once again. Look for Frankie to put all the particulars on the Forum soon....Special guest announcements and times....This is always a great day of Steel Guitar and Country Music..And New England in October is just Beauuuuuuuutiful.

------------------
Smiley 22-9 Crank&pull&push pro model Deluxe with auto string changer.500ft. roll.

manny escobar

portsmouth,r.i. usa
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2005 2:50 pm    

Plenty of action in New England on the 23 as Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association also hosts its annual steel guitar show.
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2005 3:31 pm    

That's a serious schedule conflict. I hope the R.I. guys and Frankie can get together and work something else out.
Merle Record

Oxford, Maine, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2005 4:23 pm    

Other than the PSGA show in Nov. I think these two are the only other steel shows in New England. I'd hate to miss either one
Merle
Jim Ives

Los Angeles, California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2005 4:51 pm    

It seems silly to me to have two jams on the same day. Communication.
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2005 6:00 pm    

I agree. This sounds like a simple mixup. These two venues are only 55 miles apart. Chris Caruso will probably post here soon and let us know what's going on.

------------------
My Site - Instruction | Doug's Free Tab | Steels and Accessories

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2005 6:38 am    

Yes, but remember, many of the same players often appear at both shows, so the players would be divided. That might be a good way to get other players involved, but still would divide the audience.
Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2005 7:06 am    

Uh-oh.....this is what happens when I rely on email when I should have made a phone call.
Obviously, Frank and I never intended to conflict with each other's shows (in fact, I've em-ceed his last two).
We always attend each others and enjoy the combination of N.E. steel shows each fall, what with RI, Frank's and PSGA coming right after each other. www.risga.com
I guess we'll need some creative solutions
Stay tuned...

[This message was edited by Tony Palmer on 04 August 2005 at 08:08 AM.]

Sam White R.I.P.

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2005 7:11 am    

Darn how did this happen??
Sam White

[This message was edited by Samuel E. White on 04 August 2005 at 08:48 AM.]

Joe Casey

Post  Posted 4 Aug 2005 7:47 am    

I just spoke with Frank and he was unaware of the RI show being on that date. I reached him while he was working so until later today when he gets home nothing can be done.His problem was securing the date he has, which was probably the only avaiible club opening for the month.The powers that be were on vacation and he just got the date last tues.He would never have intentionaly done anything to conflict with the RI show.This can be resolved. I was about to buy my plane tickets which until midnight tonight are real cheap.Hang loose folks there will be a resolve.And there will be shows.P.S.Sammy, Frankies is in OCT.You mentioned September?

------------------
Smiley 22-9 Crank&pull&push pro model Deluxe with auto string changer.500ft. roll.

[This message was edited by Joe Casey on 04 August 2005 at 08:52 AM.]

Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2005 9:40 am    

Maybe we should all check in with Jeff Blackwell's web site now and then....
This would be less likely to happen. http://www.steelguitarshows.com/
manny escobar

portsmouth,r.i. usa
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2005 10:19 am    

Also Bob Maickel`s July 2005 issue had it listed. (It takes a considerable advance time notice to get the event published.) I`m sure we can work something out. As Tony Palmer stated; The Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association and Frank`s group are like family to each other.

[This message was edited by manny escobar on 06 August 2005 at 10:21 AM.]

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2005 1:38 pm    

Didn't RI change their show to the spring a couple of years ago? I guess that didn't work out?

Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2005 2:11 pm    

Hi Doug,
I'm not gonna kid you...planning a show is no picnic!
There's always someone who isn't going to be around (like me!), someone who's got a gig that weekend, or the hall simply isn't available.
We had a May show and everyone had graduations, first communions, or competing country events going on, so we moved it to the fall.
My congrats to Frank, Bob Maickel, etc. for doing it consistently all these years.
It's not as easy as is seems....!!
Joe Casey

Post  Posted 5 Aug 2005 5:29 am    

I spoke with Frank late last night and he is in the process of changing the date even if it goes into early Nov. Frankie usually has his on or about the same time yearly and I guess it depends when the hall is or was availible.It was a total accident that it wound up the same date as R.I. and will be corrected as Frankie was still working on it when we talked. I will be in New England from Sept 23rd to Oct 3rd.And plan to return accordingly for Franks show. I almost bought flight tickets (to Nashville)for Oct 20th.My plans are to fly into Nashville and drive up with one of Frankies special guest for whatever date is decided and that is still on. These are two great happenings that need continuing support without conflicting dates.

------------------

Bob Maickel

Floral Park, NY
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2005 9:19 am    

Since my name has been mentioned several times (thanks for not taking it in vain) in this post, I felt a response is in order.

First off, the PSGA has been holding it's annual show every year for the past 27 years on Veteran's day weekend, on or near November 11th. (This year the 11th is on Friday, so our show is on the 12th and 13th, in Norwalk, CT) Most steel players are aware of this.

There have been many conflicts with other events from time to time, but thru communication between the producers, things usually worked out OK.

Now, it seems, in New England we are back to square one once more, regarding conflicting show dates in the same part of the country.

May I humbly suggest for the future, that the producers of shows, jams, etc., do their best to schedule their events so as not to conflict with others in their general area. It's really great that there is such a fine spirit of promoting the steel guitar by having a jam or a show, and it certainly requires a lot of hard work to accomplish the task, but not at the expense of poor date planning. Try to make an effort to schedule well in advance, it pays off in attendance.

Concerning the RI show; the original e-mail Elaine sent me lacked important details, which is why we did not run it in the newsletter or web site. I wrote back saying that we require specific information, not generalities. Tony Palmer followed up with the details and we printed it at our earliest opportunity. On the other hand, Frank Caruso has never sent us any info for any of his events. We only learned of Franks planned jams when John DeMaille played on them and it was from John D not Frank!

There also seems to be a sentiment of "our show has no effect on the PSGA because we are a small group of people" Unfortunately, that is not true. Whenever the Mass Bash took place near our show date, attendance dropped at our show. Every steel event in this day and age has an effect on other events, with the exception of St. Louis and Dallas.

I hope no one is offended by my comments, I told it as it is...32 years worth. To everyone involved in doing steel events I say "Have a great show and keep up the good work".
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2005 9:57 am    

I heartily support Bob's (and PSGA's) view on this. To have 3 New England steel events all within a month of each other, and then nothing in the area for the rest of the year, is really unfortunate. From a personal standpoint, there are only so many weekends I can take off from the family to go steelin' and if I've just gone to one, it's hard for me to get away so soon for another, whether I'm a performer or audience member. I'm sure it's like that for many others: there are only so many dates, and dollars, to go around... Besides all of which, it sure would be lovely to have something in the northeast during the spring. Perhaps the R.I. guys or Frankie could consider that alternative. They might even get a bigger turnout, if it were further apart from PSGA on the calendar (esp. since PSGA usually brings in national headliners).

Submitted in good faith and respect to you all,
Jimbeaux
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2005 1:03 pm    

Problem is: There is always a better turnout in the fall for some reason... I know this after 23 years of Mass Bashes. We originally held them in the fall, and later changed to spring.

Winter shows in New England are risky because of the weather. Summer shows don’t work because that’s when people go on vacation or get into outdoor activity. In the Spring there’s a lot going on too, as Tony mentioned above. After the summer, when vacations are over, the weather gets cooler, and people settle into a routine, that’s when the shows are best attended. Having said that, I hope that some solution can be worked out. I’m grateful for all of the work that Bob M., Frank, and the RI folks, Tony, Manny, Sam, Len and others put in every year to make these shows happen.

[This message was edited by Doug Beaumier on 05 August 2005 at 02:09 PM.]

Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2005 1:08 pm    

I think a solution may be found shortly...stay tuned.
(hey, if nothing else, this is the most attention our two shows have received on the forum!!)

[This message was edited by Tony Palmer on 05 August 2005 at 02:09 PM.]

Sam White R.I.P.

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2005 4:13 pm    

Well I think Doug said the right thing. It is no good to do these shows in the Spring or Summer. The fall is the time when people seem to look for something to do.What has to happen here is to get together with each others Assoc. and find out when they are having their show. We in R.I. have a problem. We have the CMA of R.I. and The R.I. Country Horrizon organizations.We have to find out when they have their Country Sundays and have our show the 3rd or 4th Sunday of the month of October or the 3rd Sunday of September.It is a hard thing to run these Shows. Anna and I ran them for 5 years and it is a lot of work.I try to help as much as I can so we can keep this show going.Tony is a great Guy and it just so happens that at our last meeting Tony said he would contact Frank by E-Mail and i guess he did not get a response.We will just have to be careful from here on in.

BOB I don't think our two shows hurt yours as we all come to you shoe in November. I will be there this year as I'm back home to stay I guess.We get all local Folks at our shows.

I belong to the Mid Atlantic Steel Guitar Assoc. and they have Shows almost every month or so. I went to many of them and they pack the people in.There are shows all over and no one complains about other shows. We just want to Keep the STEEL GUITAR ALIVE.I hope I have not ofended anyone and if I did I did not mean to.
Sam White

[This message was edited by Samuel E. White on 05 August 2005 at 05:14 PM.]

Jack Dougherty

Spring Hill, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2005 4:19 pm    

I wish we had this problem in Florida

------------------
There is no such thing as too many steels!! Zum D10 8/8
Electronics.. constant state of flux
Jeff Blackwell

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2005 5:07 pm    

First, I want to thank Tony for passing along my website.
I search a lot of the club sites, associations and the Forum to post meeting dates and jams as soon as possible. My rule of thumb is, if they are open to the public, I like to promote them.
Since I have only had the site up since March, I'm not familiar with the cycle of shows, but I do know there are regular annual meetings of organizations that it's good to be aware of when planning.
Bill Stafford's Deep South Steel Guitar Association meets every other month on the first Saturday, but he's talking about making the meetings quarterly on the first Saturday and Sunday since they've been so successful.
It does take a LOT OF PLANNING to put a meeting/jam/show together.
Count on me to be here to help spread the word via www.steelguitarshows.com and on SteelRadio.com.
Please let me know if I can be of help in the future!

------------------
Jeff Blackwell
Emmons D-10 LeGrande - Nashville 400

Having a steel guitar show you want to promote? Add it to the calendar at www.steelguitarshows.com
Bob Maickel

Floral Park, NY
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2005 8:21 pm    

Thanks to all for their understanding in this situation. What a fine group of steel players/promoters! Good sampling of comments from folks who know the story.

I'd like to address some of the replies on an individual basis:

Sam White: Thanks for all your support over the years! You are certainly a pioneering spirit in promoting the steel guitar. However, you've not been able to attend our PSGA shows for many years, since you've been moving around. Believe me when I tell you that ANY steel gathering in the Northeast, prior to our show affects the attendance at our show.
In 2004 there were only 3 or 4 attendees from Rhode Island, we used to have 12 or 14.

Tony Palmer: You are doing a fine job as President of the RISGA and keep up the good work. I realize that you are confronted with many of the same problems we have. Thanks for all your support over the years.

Doug Beaumier: I wish you would have been able to share some of the energy you applied to the Mass Bash to the PSGA shows. Apparently, without your input and help the Mass Bash would have died long before it did without your assistance. Doug, you are a fine player and a devoted and very talented, steel guitarist. You have contributed much to the PSGA and steel guitar in general and we truly appreciate your efforts!

Jimbo:
You've played on our PSGA shows since Armonk days. We are proud of your accomplishment on steel, a very fine player, and thank you for the many years you have supported our efforts. We are looking forward to your being with us again this year in Norwalk, CT.

Finally, one of the main reasons we chose to hold our event in November was that for many years the weather had been rather mild and clear, there weren't many other steel shows at that time of year, we had established somewhat of a precedent and created a refuge for steel players. After St. Louis their bookings were few and far between. The name players were eager to participate. As the Bob Wills/Tommy Duncan hit recalls "Time Changes Everyting". (Love that song)

Gas prices continue to escalate (that will affect attendance at any event) restaurant prices, accomodations, rental charges for halls to host the venue have increased dramatically. We have NO control over the cost of these items, and it does affect attendance.

This might be the last year for the PSGA show. I don't have a crystal ball, so I don't know for sure, but I do have a hand held calculator and it doesn't look promising!
Joe Casey

Post  Posted 6 Aug 2005 3:09 am    

New Date for Frankies show -Jam Sunday OCT 9th.
Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2005 9:47 am    

Whew!!
Thank you Frank!