| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Chrome Emmons fretboards -- Removing dried super glue?
Adam Goodale

Pflugerville, TX
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2012 8:38 pm    

I need to remove some dried super glue off of a CHROME Emmons fretboard. On my '66 Bolt-On one of the previous owner's placed newer white outline boards over top of the original chrome boards. The replacement E9 and C6 boards were both attached using a thin double sided tape, that came off easily without damaging anything. However from fret 23 up on E9, super glue was added for some reason. Aside from the super glue spot, the Chrome boards are surprisingly in very good condition. The colors are perfect, with the cool teal/aqua colored atom's at the 5th & 17th frets. I want to get the glue off, however i am afraid of using any chemicals because i dont want to strip the black printing off with the glue. If any of y'all have suggestions or comments please post away! Thanks in advance - Adam

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2012 9:44 am    

Adam
I been around the block many, many times with Emmons fretboards and I know of no way to remove anything other than water or saliva without damaging the paint. Even Scotch tape, if left on long enough, will take off the black. I simply put new boards on my guitars and don't worry about the originality. But that's just me...

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Adam Goodale

Pflugerville, TX
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2012 9:30 am    

Thanks for the insight Herb! Hope your doing well. i have sucessfully gotten most of the residue off, just a few spots that it appears i will have to use a razor blade, and maybe i'll be able to break it off w/out doing TOO much damage. Sure wish there was someway i could just buy a new set of Chrome boards. One of these days im going to call a printing shop to see if it would be possible to have a batch of them made. I know there are a bunch of Vintage Emmons guys who want them.

Taylor, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2012 4:45 am    

Adam,
Herb gives good advice as always. The paint on those things is pretty thin and will damage easy.
I do have a trick that just might be worth trying. When you come get you amp (I mean let me buy that amp from you), bring the guitar by the shop. We can try a couple things. I also want to see the guitar.

I have been saving a set of used but nice shape chrome fretboards that would be correct vintage for that guitar. If I can find them, I might be talked out of them.

I have been wanting an Emmons Wraparound to complete my collection, but with Dave Biller around here, they are getting even harder to find!

Congrats on the new marriage!

Justin
Adam Goodale

Pflugerville, TX
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2012 9:39 am    

Justin Griffith wrote:
Adam,
Herb gives good advice as always. The paint on those things is pretty thin and will damage easy.
I do have a trick that just might be worth trying. When you come get you amp (I mean let me buy that amp from you), bring the guitar by the shop. We can try a couple things. I also want to see the guitar."

"I have been wanting an Emmons Wraparound to complete my collection, but with Dave Biller around here, they are getting even harder to find!"

Congrats on the new marriage!

Thanks!

Justin

Will do! and we will see about that amp, im really excited to try it. Maybe we will work out a trade, i know you have gobs of cool stuff at the shop.

Funny, since Dave has become the killer steel player he is, good country gigs are also hard to come by! I too really want a wraparound, but dont see that in the budget anytime soon. I figure if i can get a wraparound and a mid 60's Fingertip, I will be completely set. and maybe add a Zum Hybrid just for fun.

And thanks!

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2012 2:53 pm    

Adam,
There is no way to get super glue off except acetone , which will desolve everything, and sanding it off. Don't go there. Ron

Taylor, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2012 3:24 pm    

Good advise Ron!

Adam,
Just give me a shout when you are going to be in the area.

Yeah, Dave does get all the cool gigs lately. At least he gets the ones I would want.
More power to him. He is a great player, and even a greater guy. I'm glad to call him a friend.

JG