| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  anyone using stereo 12" cabinets?
Don Hinkle

Springfield Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2012 7:58 pm    

My current setup;
Push pull D-10
Peavey trans tube fex stereo out to 2 Nashville 400's

I feel silly saying that I am happy with my sound but am thinking about trying something different.

I have an empty space in my rack, and I also own a Peavey DPC1000.
I also own 2 jbl 12" speakers that are 300 watters. They actually were in a 2X12 cabinet that belonged to Ronny Milsap's lead player before he passed away.

The Jbl's are wicked loud and wicked clean -
I am thinking of building 2 separate cabinets to hold one each of the JBL's.

My question is - is there anyone out here that is using 12's in this type of configuration and have any input?

I know that the 15" speakers inherently reproduce more low end however... I am still curious.
Fender guitars
Fender amps
George Seymour

Notown, Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2012 3:59 am    

I'm currently in the process of doing something similar. I just picked up yesterday two 1X12 cabinets from TRM Cabinets http://www.trmguitarcabs.com/unfinished-cabs.html
Not sure what speakers I will use but JBl's would be I'm sure a good choice.
I've currently got two 1X15 made by the same fella loaded with D130 JBL's driven by Rittenberry D-10,Telonics VP,into Revelation preamp, into a Fryette 2/90/2 power amp, this is a modern all tube setup, the tone on this set up is all I could ever want, you'd have to hear it, unbelievable. Heavey yes, tone to the max. I'm gonna try the 12's for some smaller venues I play for and hope to get similar results. Not to copy Little Walter players but the 1X12's are what are used and I suspect they wouldn't use the 12's if they were not acceptable. Gotta finish the cabs and get the hardware and speakers together. I'm also intrested in other comments.
George
Robert Parent

Gillette, WY
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2012 4:03 am    

Hi,

I have been using two, single, 12 inch cabinets for many years. Each cabinet has a EVM12L speaker.

Robert
jay thompson

east peoria, il USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2012 7:24 am     anyone using stereo 12" cabinets?

Originally used BW 15's in custom cabinets. They were OK but, I now have two sets of Peavey 12" Neo's in custom cabinets. They seem to have a very clean, a quicker response, and produce the sound I want to hear. Using an Goodrich 7A, Peavey TransTube Fex, BBE 482, and DPC 750.
Regards, Jay Thompson

Last edited by jay thompson on 30 Jun 2012 7:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2012 7:27 am    

Depends on which Lansings you have. If they are D or K 120's, they will sound glorious with that P/P once you get the eq's set.

Generally, I like to use 1 15" and 1 12" in a stereo config., as the differences between the 2 enhance the stereo effect, but on occasion I use 2 12's.

The speakers I'm using are Peavey 1501, 1201 and 1203 FWIW.

There are quite a few steel players using 2 12's in stereo.
Carl Kilmer

East Central, Illinois
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2012 7:41 am    

Hi Don, I had Tim at http://www.trmguitarcabs.com/unfinished-cabs.html custom build
my 2 12" cabinets, and what a beautiful job he did. I used them at the Mt. Vernon show.
They are closed back with B/W speakers. I like the sound of these better than my Marrs
cabs with 15" B/W speakers. Tim is great guy to deal with and his prices are the lowest.
I use mine with my Walker Stereo Steel amps. Sounds like 2 Session 500's in stereo. Very Happy
Carl "Lucky" Kilmer

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2012 8:47 am    

I use a pair of peavey. 1203-4s in ported Rick Johnson cabinets driven by a Telonics rack. Sounds great. It was used at the Texas show last year. Plenty of lows for C6.

What is better is a 12" on a stand and a 15" 1501 on the floor spaced about 8 feet apart, neither one tilted. The sound pressure from the 12 is greater than the 15 due to the cabinets and speaker efficiency, about 3db.

Marvin
David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2012 4:52 pm    

For many moons now, I have been running a pair of Peavey 112E's. At least I think that's what they were called. Rock-solid open-back cabinets, each with a 12" 4-ohm Black Widow. Powered by a SWR SM500 bass head, 250 watts per side. Many of the modern bass heads have picky, meticulous control over the upper and lower midrange, just what the steel needs. Even the new baby heads, like the Gallien-Krueger MB200, MB500 and the MB800. And you'd need an enormous head to run out of headroom, that's exactly what these guys do.
Jonathan Cullifer

Gallatin, TN
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2012 5:22 pm    

1201-8s in Rick Johnson ported cabs here driven by a Revelation and a Fryette 2/90/2. There is no need to run much bass with the setup, and tonally I don't think I could ask for more.

Tonally, the biggest difference I hear between 12s and 15s is in the mid to upper mid range. The rest is more specific to an individual speaker.
George Seymour

Notown, Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2012 4:17 am    

Jonathan Cullifer wrote:
1201-8s in Rick Johnson ported cabs here driven by a Revelation and a Fryette 2/90/2. There is no need to run much bass with the setup, and tonally I don't think I could ask for more.

Tonally, the biggest difference I hear between 12s and 15s is in the mid to upper mid range. The rest is more specific to an individual speaker.

Jonathan,
The Freyette/Rev set up is something, don't hear many folks here using this. Brad Sarno recommended this as a tube power amp in conjunction with the Rev, I'm very pleased, amazing actually! I'm using Wallace Trutones with the Rittenberry as well.
I think I'll try the the 1203's Peavey 12's
Seems the 1201's are not made anymore?
Not sure of the difference either.
I definitely prefer the sound of open back cabs to my ear, I had some closed ported cabs that I just could not get used to. Maybe because I've used the Peavey 115E's for years, they are much heavier and bulkier, use them now in the rehersal space and they stay put, good cab/speaker set however.
George
Chas. J. Wagner

Denver, Colorado USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2012 5:01 am    

George Seymour wrote:
Seems the 1201's are not made anymore?
The 1201-8's still show on Peavey's site Item #: 00560700. They are also available several places such as US Speaker.

The 1201 has been described as a "sound reinforcement" or "bass" speaker. The 1203 has been described as a "musical instrument" speaker. According to Mike Brown (Peavey), the 1203-4 is the speaker used in the Nashville 112E extension cabinets built a while back. The 1203 is available in 4 ohm or 8 ohm.

It has been posted on the forum that several "top name" players use 1201's. It just depends on which model sounds the best to you.

With either the 1201 or 1203, you could also consider getting a Replacement Basket and Neo magnet if weight is a consideration.
chas smith R.I.P.

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2012 9:51 pm    

Quote:
...Revelation and a Fryette 2/90/2.

When I can afford one, I plan on swapping out the MosValve for a Fryette. I have a VHT (now Fryette) Sig:X that I love.

I use this set up with different variations of 15" cabs and I can get pretty much everything from traditional to "full wash".

Jonathan Cullifer

Gallatin, TN
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2012 5:52 pm    

I started with 1203-8s and didn't really like the way they sounded at volume...they are much brighter than the 1201s and scooped in the midrange. They also changed tonally as the volume went up. I ended up swapping the baskets for 1201s and that seemed to clear everything up.

The 1201 has a smoother high end, and tonally it sounds pretty similar to the stock NV112 speaker to my ears, but it responds differently dynamically.

I would love to see a 1201 in a 4 ohm speaker...they would be in my NV112s if they existed.
George Seymour

Notown, Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2012 7:44 am    

Jonathan Cullifer wrote:
I started with 1203-8s and didn't really like the way they sounded at volume...they are much brighter than the 1201s and scooped in the midrange. They also changed tonally as the volume went up. I ended up swapping the baskets for 1201s and that seemed to clear everything up.

The 1201 has a smoother high end, and tonally it sounds pretty similar to the stock NV112 speaker to my ears, but it responds differently dynamically.

I would love to see a 1201 in a 4 ohm speaker...they would be in my NV112s if they existed.

Thanks for that, 1201's, they are I've found available from many on line sources.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2012 8:00 am    

FWIW, I use one of the original paper cone 90's 1203-4 for my Mullen guitar and one of the old alu. cap 1201-8 paper cone drivers with my ZumSteel.

These seem to work well with the respective instrument's character.

The 1501-4 SB, either current or old Spider Web, on the other side for either axe.
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2012 8:50 am    

chas smith wrote:
When I can afford one, I plan on swapping out the MosValve for a Fryette. I have a VHT (now Fryette)

Can you really tell the difference at normal (not deafening) volume levels? To me, Mosvalve does sound a little better than Peavey or Walker Stereo Steel power amps, but just a little and it is subtle.
George Seymour

Notown, Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2012 10:16 am    

Earnest Bovine wrote:
chas smith wrote:
When I can afford one, I plan on swapping out the MosValve for a Fryette. I have a VHT (now Fryette)

Can you really tell the difference at normal (not deafening) volume levels? To me, Mosvalve does sound a little better than Peavey or Walker Stereo Steel power amps, but just a little and it is subtle.

I've never used a Mosvalve, I do however have a Stereo Steel amp and used a DPC750 for years. The sounds available with both of these are certainly acceptable, as we all know there are too many variables to count. The combination I'm using with the Revelation and Freytte offer the best sound for me that I've had. I've never really experinced the "tube" effect until my recent aquistion of the Rev and now the 2/90/2, but it's there and I hear it. Warm, sweet, syrup smooth, clear highs, almost elastic if thats a description, and back to the thread I'm ordering or trying to buy at least one 1201 BW. I may try a Neo Weber 12 or EV for the other side.
chas smith R.I.P.

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2012 10:27 am    

Quote:

The MosValve sounds great, to me, the issue is/was the same problem I've had with my Evans and that's when the venue has inadequate power for all of the stuff in the room. If my transistor amps don't get the power they want, they shut themselves off. The tube amps don't seem to do that.

The last time it happened, a few months ago, I was able to get it going again when I turned down my volume and fortunately there was reinforcement and I let him make up the difference between me and the rest of the ensemble.

We were the headliners and the place was packed. When the amp went on strike I almost **** ** *****.
Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2012 12:16 pm    

no one in the audience really hears the so called "stereo" effect of the two cabinets...your fellow band mates dont hear it. it seems pretty self indulgent. i tried it for a couple gigs on underarm guitar. it wasnt worth the expense the hassle to set it up etc. fine if you like it, but i couldnt see the practical value of it verses the standard mono set up.
Jay Ganz

Out Behind The Barn
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2012 4:48 am    

chas smith wrote:
The MosValve sounds great, to me, the issue is/was the same problem I've had with my Evans and that's when the venue has inadequate power for all of the stuff in the room. If my transistor amps don't get the power they want, they shut themselves off.

It's their low voltage protection circuit. Just keep an AVR in car for those situations.
If you run into that problem during the sound check, you can run out and get it. It keeps the voltage supply constant.

More info.
Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2012 5:36 am    

SS amps shut down when they get hot... The better amps have more heat sink area.

Pointing a fan in the back is one form of cheap insurance, if you can get some of the air onto the heat sink.
chas smith R.I.P.

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2012 7:39 am    

I see an AVR in my future, Jay, thank you. Stephen, the MosValve has built in fans that come on when it gets hot. That thing is 250watts a side and the fans have only come on once, since I've had it. We were really loud.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2012 8:05 am    

That's odd Chas. My MosValve 500 has the fans running all the time. You can hear it run soon as you switch it on.

That AVR unit looks like a possibility. I only had one voltage issue with my MV500. That was due to pulling all the power for the band from a generator..

Back to the 12" issue, one advantage of stereo is that you can direct one speaker a little more toward the rest of the band if you're not miced.

If you are miced and have a good sound engineer, they can pan one speaker hard left and one hard right for a nice mix in the house.

Also, the separation gives the player a lot more joy on stage which is the reason you started playing in the first place. That the effect might be less obvious out in the room is of no concern to me. I'm not sitting out in the room.

You can get great sound out of a pair of 12's. You just have to eq them differently than you would 15's. Don't be afraid to tweak them knobs, that's what they're there for. You can always move 'em back.
George Seymour

Notown, Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2012 9:24 am    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:

Also, the separation gives the player a lot more joy on stage which is the reason you started playing in the first place. That the effect might be less obvious out in the room is of no concern to me. I'm not sitting out in the room.

You can get great sound out of a pair of 12's. You just have to eq them differently than you would 15's. Don't be afraid to tweak them knobs, that's what they're there for. You can always move 'em back.

I couldn't agree more, looking forward to using the 12's.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2012 9:36 am    

Now and then I use a pair of 12" Tone Tubbies with a Mesa 20/20 power amp. It's a real nice sound. I'd use it more often, but it's a lot of stuff to carry around and hook up.