| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  MSA Supersestain priceing info needed
Dennis Smith

Covington, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2012 4:56 pm    

Hi, I'ver run across a package deal on a 1974 MSA Supersestain double neck, Pevey 400 and pack seat.

All are in very good condition I am told.

What would be a good price for all? What pitfalls should I look for? I would be getting it to learn on.
Thanks Dennis
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2012 6:06 pm    

I'd say $1900 low, and about $2400 tops, with the $500 variance based on condition of the three items. If they haven't been played too much, the only pitfall would be hidden moisture or smoke damage.
Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 9 Jul 2012 8:03 pm    

Well that doesn't sound like a jump on it in a hurry bargain.
Peavey 400 $300 seat $125 And one of the best built PSG ever but they are just too big for drive thru. Those tanks just don't sell. But if you have a strong back and don't mind being untrendy go for it at $1,500 or $1,600 if you just have to have it.
Bo has one and he loves it but it's stuck to the studio floor and it never will leave there so it is OK that it's a big ugly duckling.
I'm saying the PSG for $1200 and $300 for the amp and throw in the seat as forplay.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2012 8:03 pm    

i was thinking somewhere between $1500 and $1900...
sounds like good usable equipment.
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2012 10:48 pm    

To the best of my knowledge, MSA did not make a guitar they called Supersustain in 1974. That word did not appear till a few years later.

You should go to the "Show us your MSA" thread. and look at the guitars. The ones from the early 70s have the neck extend all the way to the pickup. After around '76, the pickup was surrounded on all sides with aluminum.
Look at the pickup on the guitar you're contemplating buying. Whether or not the neck extends all the way to the pickup will tell you at least which half of the decade the guitar was made in.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2012 1:42 pm    

Reece would be the final authority, but here is how I understand it. In late 1974 (before there was a SuperSustain model MSA) there came about the MSA SuperSustain pickups, and these were installed in some of the regular formica Classic models (without the aluiminum neck stub). So, when referring to Super Sustain, it's important to know if it's a guitar model designation, or just a pickup.
Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 13 Jul 2012 9:17 am    

I assumed a reference to the pickups.
Reece Anderson

Keller Texas USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2012 9:48 am    

MSA came out with the Super Sustain pickup prior to having a guitar by the same name. The Super Sustain models have those words written under the finish on the front and back of the necks.

MSA records do not specify date connections between the addition of the aluminum pickup block and the model naming of Super Sustain, although if memory serves correct, the two were connected.