| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Non-Country songs on steel guitar....................
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2010 10:17 am    

The steel guitar is such a beautiful instrument and so capable of producing wonderful music, I believe it's important that we as players, should be aggresively expanding it's horizons. Basil H. has done this so well as have others here on the Forum.

Steel guitar instrumentals are fun. YES! I'm all for them........ I used them as learning tools when I first started playing.

But so many different kinds of songs are available to us, I think it's a crime that we don't provide more variety in our playing.

"SOMEWHERE MY LOVE"...........is such an example.

You can hear it on Ray's CD's on the jerrybyrd-fanclub.com/. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and give it a listen.. This is being played on an Emmons Push-Pull thro' Peavy LA-400 amp.
Billy Murdoch

Glasgow, Scotland, U.K.
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2010 10:24 am    

Ray,
I agree with You completely.
I have always forund that Forumite and good friend
Jim Cohen comes up with great renditions of songs which are not normally assosciated with our instrument.
Best rgards
Billy
George McLellan

Duluth, MN USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2010 12:16 pm    

Buddy Hollys' "True Love Ways" makes a great instrumental on E9th, I've never tried it on C6th.......yet.

Geo
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2010 12:23 pm    

George I've been working on that one. Whoa!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Billy Tonnesen

R.I.P., Buena Park, California
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2010 1:26 pm    

Ray: I'm sure you experienced the same as I back in the Western Swing Days, We played just as many Non-Country songs as we did County. We probably all listened to the old "Hit Parade" and if a Melodic song became popular and had a "Beat" we would play it. How about all the old Pop-Swing Band intrumetals !
Richard Damron

Gallatin, Tennessee, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2010 2:21 pm    

Ray -

You're absolutely right BUT - there's a problem. I suspect that all too many players do not have the foggiest notion as to those beautiful tunes which have been added to the musical library over the last 75-80 years. Without such knowledge they're essentially reduced to playing "chopsticks" - or, at very best, performing warmed-over, raggedy tunes that have worn out their welcome.

Yes, I know - a bunch of forumites are going to jump all over me for being so candid but I can point with exuberance at the likes of a Mike Perlowin, Jim Cohen, Rick Schmidt, et al, who delve into the unexpected corners of the archives and come up with truly beautiful compositions which are done with more than simple justice on this instrument.

I'm now 74 years old. 70 years ago, I was memorizing entire tunes from the pop and country genres. I discovered jazz some 57 years ago. Is age a contributing factor to the depth of knowledge that one has regarding the wonderful melodies of yesteryear? Perhaps. Perhaps not.

It would appear that it is incumbent upon the neophyte steeler that he (she) learn every steel guitar tune plus 2137 licks before venturing outside the restrictive walls of Steeldom - IF they venture at all. Is this REALLY necessary? I think not - yet I'm at a loss as to how to introduce 9000 Forum members to something other than select ditties from the not-too-distant past. Lord knows, I have a wealth of material in my "fake books" and anthologies that would take a lifetime to learn. I don't have that lifetime left to me. Most do. Perhaps they only have to dig a little deeper - assuming that the spirit moves them in that direction.

Perhaps posts such as yours will get some to thinkin'.

Respectfully,

Richard
Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2010 2:54 pm    

Three such tunes I am playing live these days are:

"Time is Tight" - Booker T. and the M.G.'s
"Low Rider" - War
"Girl From Ipanema" - Antonio Carlos Jobim

and for the patriotic at heart "The Star Spangled Banner" "God Bless America" and/or "America the Beautiful"
Ben Jones

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2010 3:51 pm    

You can play both kinds of music on this thing. country AND western.
John H. McGlothlin

Raton, New Mexico
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2010 3:59 pm    

Hi Ray. Of course I'm no proffessional steel guitar player but I love the steel guitar sound. I have a few songs on my YouTube website that are jazz tunes...give em a listen. I am a firm believer that there is no limit as to the kind of songs that can be played on the steel guitar.

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2010 8:08 pm    

All the old pop tunes sound great with a swing beat. "Somewhere My Love", "I Left My Heart In San Fransisco". Lloyd Green had a great rendition of "I Can See Clearly Now". I recorded the song with a shuffle beat. One of my favorites. Jody.
Roual Ranes

Atlanta, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2010 4:56 am    

Where I came from the dances all had "country" bands but they played everything. If a new song was popular and didn't really have a dance beat then they changed the timing to fit. Any song was game.
Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2010 5:04 am    

I am working on the old Pat Boone pop song..Love Letters in the Sand
Brian Kurlychek

Maine, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2010 9:25 am    

I know about 20 or so Neil Young songs on the PSG.

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2010 2:31 pm     Oldies but Goodies !!

Three of my favorite songs are " Sentimental Journey " , "In the Mood " , and also "If " as done by "The Bread ". Anyone else remember these tunes or play them ??? Eddie "C"
Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2010 3:48 pm    

I don't know if it is still there, but Randy Beavers "Minuet" was on his My Space. It was impressive.
Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2010 6:55 pm    

That's what makes it fun. Hearing a tune and thinkin' "I could do that on the steel". I do it all the time. Once in a while I go buy the tune just to meet the challenge. Raul Malo's tunes (before and after The Mavericks) are great sources of material for this.

My problem is I can never play the same tune twice the same way.

Jeff Newman blew me away with his version of Orleans tune "Dance with Me". Magnificent job on a tune I would have never guessed could sound so good on the steel.

It occurred to me that Bobbe Seymour kinda makes somewhat of a living doing just this... Very Happy

The 28 (may never get to do it again...) CD's I bought at ISGC last year also attest to the talents of the masters venturing to places "out of the box" with the steel.
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2010 7:49 pm     What a disturbing development!

Unsolicited, I rec'd the following email.

Is this something that we as SGF Members should have to tolerate?

PLAYING OTHER MUSIC on steel guitar.‏
You may not know this sender.Mark as safe|Mark as junk
Sent: Fri 4/09/10 8:02 PM
To: pi007flyer@msn.com

Thought I'd answer your post on SGF about playing other than standard tunes.

MOST players have heard of the Suite Steel CD from 1970.
Why Haven't you heard it????
It was very popular in the early '70's.
What do YOU think of it and Why do you post such similar crap threads.....silly old prick
Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2010 8:04 pm    

Some people need to up their dosage of antidepressants...
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2010 8:16 pm    

There's a non country song that is actually a pop song that I loved when I was a kid in the eighties called "Time After Time", which was recorded by singer Cyndi Lauper, and in 2003, a friend of mine named Katie Cook recorded the song for a movie called "View From The Top" and I add steel to it. I think that song is great for steel. In the second verse, I let the steel scream in a part just before the chorus and I turn the guitar solo into a steel guitar solo and for the guitar part after the first verse and chorus, I play the guitar part as a steel part.

Brett
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Ernest Cawby

Lake City, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2010 8:41 pm     hi

I have been working on a few oldies, AS Time Goes By, It.s Now Or Never,,Moon River, Over the rainbow,
You Are My Special angle, Beautiful Dreamer, THis song was written by a Pauper that died with 3 cents in his pocket in The hos. 131 years ago, He also wrote Suwannee River. And a few others.

ernie
Billy Murdoch

Glasgow, Scotland, U.K.
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2010 1:15 am    

Ray,
I am very sorry You had to receive an E mail written with such ignorance and lack of manners.
I am surprised that there have not been other posts mentioning this disgraceful thing.
I guess all steel players are not the same.
Best regards
Billy
Larry Lorows

Zephyrhills,Florida, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2010 3:15 am    

I play dinner music, and Steelin' the Blues, is the closest, I come to country.
Ford Cole

Texas
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2010 6:09 am    

Don't overlook the vast reservoir of Christian music, both old and new. You'll find petty tunes in all styles, tempos, ect. As we know, pedal steel is capable of so much more than most of us use. Now if I can just learn that intro to Night Life to use with How Great Thou Art.
Richard Damron

Gallatin, Tennessee, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2010 6:43 am    

Ray -

The cretin that sent that email to you doesn't have the inclination and/or intelligence to read and understand the thrust of your post. It's obvious that the rest of us comprehend that which you lament.

Don't let him get under your skin. His comments are not worthy of being dignified with a retort in kind.

Richard
Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2010 8:51 am    

Colin McIntosh doesn't seem to be a member of the Forum. If he were I would recommend that he be expelled.

If Colin McIntosh is out there reading this, get this into your fat head straight away.

DID NO-ONE TEACH YOU MANNERS ?
YOU ARE A RUDE, IMBECILIC JERK.
RAY MONTEE IS ONE OF THE MOST WELL-RESPECTED AND TALENTED MEMBERS OF THE FORUM.

Last edited by Alan Brookes on 13 Jul 2012 8:21 am; edited 1 time in total