| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Heard something impressive tonight.
Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2012 9:04 pm    

The band leader had new speakers at the dance I played tonight. I never dreamed the new speakers could improve the sound of the P.A. system so much. What is amazing is the speakers were 8 inch speakers in two little bitty speaker enclosures. We were using 15 inch speakers before. The new little 8 inch speakers are powered speakers, powered by 1000 watts each. Yes--1000 watts into an 8 inch speaker. We had the speakers turned way down. If turned up these little speakers would handle any large hall, and the sound would be crystal clear. The singers tonight were clean and clear, and the vocals cut through. An added benefit me and the guitar player noticed was, we could play louder without covering up the vocals. It was wonderful. These little speakers are QSC Powered PA speakers. I am thinking of getting me two for my steel guitar. The QSC K8 speakers list for $699.00 each. Bottom line--I am starting to believe you get what you pay for. Some of these old speakers in the old Peavey steel amps are 30 and 40 years old. It is bound to be a step up in speaker sound quality. I am dying to try a set of these speakers on my steel. I think the new speakers made the whole band sound better at the dance tonight.
David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2012 8:39 am    

I've been waiting for somebody to put some really good neodymium speakers into the molded ABS enclosures - those 8" QSC's are 27 lbs. with the amp, the 10" ones are 32 lbs. They emphasize pole mounting - I wonder if they jump around on the floor.
Gary Cosden

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2012 9:43 am    

Mickey Adams said in a post that he had tried out the QSC K10's and K12's and wound up buying a pair of K12s. The reviews I have found on line speak very highly of the whole series and I have been wondering myself what the K8s would be like for steel guitar. Please let us know what you think if you do get a chance to play through these speakers!
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2012 9:47 am    

David Mason wrote:
They emphasize pole mounting - I wonder if they jump around on the floor.

I would think not. Mounting on poles just gets them away from walls and the floor, both of which would increase dispersion and reduce unwanted acoustic coupling. That they "cut through" better than fifteens is really a no brainer. I've always thought that using fifteens for vocals gave an unnatural bassiness and boominess to voices. Of course, since the advent of high-power FM radio receiver/amplifiers, most everyone seems to think that sounding like James Earl Jones talking into a barrel is normal. Oh Well

Most all sound men seem absolutely infatuated with unnatural gobs of bass. Confused
Keith Hilton

Post  Posted 4 Jul 2012 10:38 am    

The speakers were just put in chairs on each side of the stage. No vibration that I could notice. I am with you Donny, I am tired of singers lost in a muddle of bass.
Trust me on this one: You can play your guitar louder when the vocals are clean and clear. When I get to play stronger and louder I play better.
Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2012 6:11 pm    

Ive got 2 K12s mounted on the wall in my practice room.(8s did very well too...tried them) My racks route through no less than 10 different preamps/processors..EVERY one of these combos sound incredible...No matter what I send the signal through they sound marvelous..Im not sure I would want to carry them to a gig...I like portability, but for the home studio sound ...they just inspire me to no end...My steel sounds etherial with these...A GOOD Investment for any steeler....
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
Keith Hilton

Post  Posted 5 Jul 2012 3:35 pm    

Hey Mickey, why the K12's instead of the K8's? The K8's can't be run even half wide open in most huge dance halls.
Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2012 6:32 am    

Keith, I tried the K10, and they did real well with the revelation until I pushed them to large stage volume...I don't think the horns were very happy with the level, even though they were attenuated very low. It resulted in the 1 horn failing. Luckily Guitar Center took it back and I exchanged the pair for K12s. My friend Mark Tulbert uses a single K10 with his Rev and G2 and gets a great tone onstage too..I'm really happy with the K12s.. They are wall mounted in my studio, and I don't take them out at all for live gigs. The built in crossover makes for a very crisp high end and the 12s have all the bass a man could want....[/img]
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
Keith Hilton

Post  Posted 6 Jul 2012 7:55 am    

Mickey, you must have been playing extremely loud, or something else, to have blown a K10. I am wondering if the blown speaker was the result of something different than volume. I am wondering if it was the frequency. Were you on the C6th neck playing on the really big strings when you blew the horn?
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2012 8:36 am    

Does the K12 use the same high freq driver as the K10? In any case it is hard to imagine any high frequency transducer that can handle 500 watts. Either they build in some protection, or a lot of people will fry them.
Keith Hilton

Post  Posted 6 Jul 2012 9:06 am    

Earnest it is 1000 watts, not 500. Earnest I am not a amplifier person, even though I am an electronics person. Seems to me we are dealing with a whole different animal. I don't think you can relate this to normal speakers, and normal power. One thing that caught my attention was the term Class D power. To understand why I say "Different animal"---The two K8 speakers I heard only had 8 inch speakers, and could easily handle a high school basketball arena on low volume. If it were an old time Peavey Nashville 200 watt head pushing an 8 inch speaker, we know the result. Like I say, it is a different animal.
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2012 9:43 am    

Keith Hilton wrote:
Earnest it is 1000 watts, not 500.

If they have 1000 watts on the highs, that is even more amazing. That would be more than 1 horsepower into a 1.75 inch HF driver. Just think what a horse could do to that little thing! All the info that I saw said 500 for low and 500 for high. Obviously that is unusual to have the same power for both amps.
Gary Cosden

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2012 10:11 am    

Check out the specs - its 500 watts to low and 500 to the high.
http://www.qscaudio.com/products/speakers/k_series/K_series_K8.php
Keith Hilton

Post  Posted 6 Jul 2012 10:45 am    

My mistake, 500 watts to the horn and 500 watts to the 8 inch speaker. Even at that it is AMAZING. Think of a 500 watt Peavey amp to an 8 inch speaker. Yes, Earnest one horse power could be dangerous, especially if the horse accidentally kicked you in the head. Laughing
Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2012 5:03 am    

Blew the horn....Not the speaker...Just to clarify..I hit a low C# on my EXE9 S12, on the song HICKTOWN by Jason Aldeen...Yes very low note and it cooked it..
Bob Vantine

Freeville, New York, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2012 5:18 am    

not exactly in the same realm ..... but last year I was talking to Bobbe about me putting a GK MB200 together and wanting to use an 8" spkr . He told me go for it cuz he had used 8's in an old WEBB and loved the sound .
With new technology , I'm sure 8's would be great .... altho I'd never have thought 500W great ! Shocked
Peavey Guitars
Bari Smith

Spartanburg SC USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2012 3:28 pm     QSC k

I've got 4)k12's....2)k10's and 2 k-subs......always reliable and sound great in every situation.The DSP processing and switching make em very versatile!I'm a sound tech for a theatre here in SC and we supplemented house syatem with K series speakers and ALL ther touring acts love em!!! Very Happy

Norway
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2012 8:53 pm    

I have two k12's... and love these speakers. Like Mickey, I have these in my studio so they never leave the house. I tried the k8, k10 and they all sound good but I decided on the k12's because they had a little more deep end in the sound. I may add a k-sub in the future for fun but I don't need one for home use. Plenty of base in the k12's.
Keith Hilton

Post  Posted 8 Jul 2012 4:41 pm    

Went to the local music store and listened to K8 beside a K12. I could tell no difference. I picked up the technical data sheets put out by QSC. The K8,K10 and K12 all have the same driver for the high frequency horn. The individual power units inside each speaker are the same in K8,K10,K12. The only difference, according to the technical data printed by QSC, is the size of the speaker. The big difference is the speaker angle of output: The K8 is 105 degrees, the K10 is 90 degrees, and the K12 is 75 degrees. I am only relating data put out by QSC.
Niels Andrews

Salinas, California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2012 5:57 pm    

I ended up buying two Mackie MR8's. Great for my little studio and a good price.