| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  For JERRY BYRD officiando's..............
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2012 2:01 pm    

I'm happy to report that there are some more great photo's of 'the MAN' JERRY BYRD......and his famous Sho-Bud guitar now being shared on:

jerrybyrd-fanclub.com/

NO! I'm not going to provide a direct LINK to the photo page as some of you guys always seem to beg for. The web site is full of valuable information that any true fan of JERRY BYRD will treasure. If you really want to get inside the loop, read thro' the site and discover all that is there for you!

By the way, on one of the newest photo's there is a notation that the photo was apparently taken in the basement of "KIMAS" house.

Do any of YOU......
know WHO 'KIMAS" is........
and what role he/she played in JERRY's musical career?

Also, if you look closely at the pickup end of JERRY's guitar, you'll notice something 'different' that has been added to both necks of this historic guitar. Do any of you know what those bolt on attachements might be for and if and when Jerry might have installed them? I don't recall having every seen them before.
Ray Montee

Post  Posted 19 Jun 2012 4:25 pm     Many, many thanks to "John Hopkins"...............

Just wanted to acknowledge and send along a very special THANK YOU to SGF Member "John Hopkins"......

for taking the time to point out to this 76 year olde
retiree that I misspelled the word "officionado".

John, I've been told that #@*^ happens and this was obviously living proof of that fact.

I hope you won't hold it against me for being so reckless. I used to be a straight "A" student in English but as one ages, the importance of all that stuff seems to become less significant in life.

Thanx for pointing out my error.
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2012 12:33 am    

Laughing You misspelled #@X^ too!
Bob Hickish

Port Ludlow, Washington, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2012 3:27 am    

Ray
I don’t have an answer to your question ---- Do any of YOU......
know WHO 'KIMAS" is........
and what role he/she played in JERRY's musical career?

I don’t think its a He or She , I believe its a place such as a hotel -- eMail sent

Ron - that spelling looks Okey to me Razz
Ray Montee

Post  Posted 20 Jun 2012 8:37 am     Thanks Mr. Hickish for your support..............

My good friend Ron, from Hawaii..........

has yet to realize because of his youth that GOD will eventually get even in his own way, with those who choose to taunt we elderly folk. Let that be a
warning Ron Boy.
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2012 10:10 am    

God wouldn't be that kind of meanie vindictive sort would he?
But a higher power or not, I've long known there's a special place in some kind of hell awaiting me. You don't get away with a life full of the greatest luck without paying for it somehow... Just an eternity without my music will be bad enuf!
Jerome Hawkes

Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2012 12:02 pm    

great pics Ray, thanks for keeping a little piece of Jerry alive out there.

that is the FIRST photo i've ever seen with the gold actually on the steel - i had always heard it was gold plated, but certainly wasnt that way very long.
also, i might suspect that at least the front apron was refinished at some point - the sunburst apron is vastly different in early photos.

Providence, Rhode Island
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2012 5:01 am    

Aficionado--or aficionada if you are female.

Aficion is "affection" in Spanish, IIRC.

Nothing to do with "office": oficina in Sp.

The dictionary is your friend. Chris
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2012 5:38 am    

Chris Brooks wrote:
Aficionado--or aficionada if you are female.

Aficion is "affection" in Spanish, IIRC.

Nothing to do with "office": oficina in Sp.

The dictionary is your friend. Chris

But if one doesn't know how to spell it in the first place, one would have great difficulty finding it in the dictionary.

Ray, for some reason I'm not able to see the last few pics (I'm guessing the latest ones).

Post  Posted 21 Jun 2012 11:27 am     I'm simply amazed!

After reading countless posts on this Forum down thro' the years that in some cases were barely readable due to grammar, punctuation and/or spelling.......

I'm truly amazed how much consternation my misspelling of 'one word' has caused some of you here on the Forum. Having had many articles published in national publications and a local newspaper......I couldn't imagine that my misspelling of one word would be so unforgiveable among those of you in my steel guitar brotherhood.

I wonder how YOU would feel if folks on the FORUM would jump on you for any musical blunders you might make on the bandstand or on You Tube. Hummmm??????
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2012 1:29 pm    

Ray..., don't you know there's no u in hmmmm?

This can probably continue into infinity ...if you let it.
Steve Wilson

Morgan Hill, California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2012 11:28 pm     Not worth it!

I was interested in seeing the pictures. But with no direct link I waded through the website (again) and either I couldn't find them or as has been suggested - they weren't there. Now I am over it. I think this was my last visit. Sorry, Ray
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2012 4:04 am    

Thanx for saving me, and probably others, from the frustrations, Steve. I'll try in a year.
Jerome Hawkes

Post  Posted 22 Jun 2012 5:15 am    

Ray, you might need to break those pics up into separate web pages since people seem to have problems with them loading - once you get a lot of images on a single page, the page takes ages to load up and the links get broken.

just a pointer - i know its a lot of work to maintain a web site.
- those pics are wonderful.

Post  Posted 22 Jun 2012 7:28 am    

Ray a good trick to pull on a spelling Nazi is pretending that you don't understand that they are being arrogant and condescending so you can watch them swoop in on this topic and try to prove their superiority thereby affording us this fortuitous encounter as an opportunity to improve our tolerance.
WHO 'KIMAS" is........ He's the guy on Fox Business News
Bo Legg

Post  Posted 22 Jun 2012 7:53 am    

None stop dumping on Ray…. let's face it - everyone isn't nice. In fact, being nice is more difficult for some people than others. But is it possible that "niceness" is predetermined by our genes?
A new study in the journal Psychological Science suggests this:
This doesn't however give you an excuse to blame DNA for you being an Ahole.
S.M. Johnson

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2012 9:17 am     About "wading thro' the site again"...............

On the left side margin........is a simple index.

In that index, there are about a dozen choices one can make.

Among those listed, is JERRY's PHOTO's.

One click and the entire 80+ photo's magically appear. These are photo's that are either of JERRY BYRD or places that relate to his career in one way or another.

I'm using Win2000 with Frontier Cable and the photo's appear almost instantly.

What can I say. I guess some folks are simply computer illiterate? Laughing
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2012 10:02 am    

Ray, I've tried on 2 different computers, but I can only see up to photo 94.

Have you uploaded the new photos to the website via FTP?
If you haven't then you would be the only one able to see them when you are on the photos page.
Your page uses frames, so I am not able to look at the HTML for that page.

I would like to see them.

Post  Posted 22 Jun 2012 10:05 am    

Been there - done that! Found the photo index, loaded some of the pictures, others did not load. I think Jerome may have hit the nail on the head about breaking up the pages.

Not computer literate? Don't tell my employer, I have been paid for using computers since the IBM PC Junior. Somehow I don't think that was the problem, but thanks for your observation, S.M!

Hey S.M., maybe the pictures are loading from your cache, and not actually downloading online. Oh wait, that would likely only happen on Ray's computer Smile
Bob Hickish

Port Ludlow, Washington, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2012 10:54 am    

I believe this thread has a little drift to it , but another questioned ask was - “ what are the two bolts & fittings added to the changer end of J b’s steel “??? -- maybe some one knows here is the photo .

another poser was what or who is “KIMAS house” ? - I found a KIAMS House in the Philippines - a 44 room Hotel - It posable JB played his steel in the basement there .

Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2012 11:18 am    

Steve Wilson wrote:
Oh wait, that would likely only happen on Ray's computer Smile
Are you saying..., could it possibly be..., how could that..., DO YOU MEAN...? OMG!!!! Whoa!

Yes, it is. Laughing
Jerome Hawkes

Post  Posted 22 Jun 2012 12:04 pm    

Bob - those were standard on the old Sho-Bud "permanent" design - of course, this is a non-pedal so the bridge is custom, but Shot used the old ducktail changer mold for jerry's guitar. the purpose of this acted like a modern adjustable bridge - why, i dont know, maybe a failed attempt that seemed like a good idea back then. basically, you could fine tune the scale length for intonation. its possible, that there was enough "slop" in the molds that they didnt come out true to scale and this was a workaround
my '65 permanent has them

Post  Posted 22 Jun 2012 2:56 pm     Well, it looks like olde MONTEE has but two choices......

WELL fella's.....

I've considered your 'digging comments'....

For Mike, Steve, Ron and Jerome.....

I've not rec'd any other negative comments about how the JBFC site does or doesn't function. Over the years, the critical comments have only come in clusters like in this instance. I have compiled a list of those that seem to delight in this kind of conduct. Since one of those detractors has left us, much of the cheap shots have diminished, until now.

My alternate choice to putting up with this crap is to merely close the JBFC site.

Early on, I felt there were enough folks out there that loved Jerry's music and that would enjoy it as much as I myself. Perhaps I was very wrong. I have a superb collection of records, tape and photo's. I can enjoy them as often as I care to and whenever I choose to.

It would be a lot less stressful for ME......to simply let go of this project. If that's what you want me to do, just let me know. I can pull the plug anytime. I'm tired of all the crap that some of you posters on this Forum have dedicated your lives to.

For those of you that are counting, as of three minutes ago, I show some 97 photo's in Jerry's Photo's section.
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2012 3:14 pm    

A long proven thin skin and inability to take a joke or criticism of any kind results in self-imposed heartache posts like these of your's, Ray. Everybody appreciate's your site efforts, but your steadfast refusals to link for people's ease and then rubbing it in their faces does not make for a cheering section in your favor. Stop crying about nothing and do your thing without expecting the world to hoist you onto their shoulders.
Steve Wilson

Post  Posted 22 Jun 2012 5:20 pm    

Ray,
I too love the site, that is why I tried to go there to see the picture in the first place. I for one appreciate your efforts in setting it up and maintaining it. I have often spent at least an hour there browsing and learning. HOWEVER, when you continually refuse to put a direct link to new things you have added you are assuming everyone will enjoy (or have the time right then)searching through the site to find the new thing you have mentioned. I can tell you that is not always the case. I do find it very telling you have "compiled a list" of those who have commented on your site in a way you do not like.

I would see a third option to the two you propose(really I think you only proposed one option)...#3 You could put a direct link to new things you are talking about. If people find the site fascinating enough(like I have)they will search through it on their own time like I have. Just a suggestion to give you another option other than taking your toys and going home. You said it yourself..."I can enjoy them as often as I care to and whenever I choose to. Shouldn't the site's visitors have the same privilege?
With all respect,
Steve Wilson