| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What Pickup for S10 Emmons PP
Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2012 10:00 am    

I guess I'll get a lot of opinions, but I have a later model S10 Emmons Push Pull. When I got it, it had an E66 George L in it. That don't seem right to me. I thought the E66 was designed to make other brand guitars sound like a push pull. What do you real push pull guys think it ought to have? If you say Truetone, what winding?
Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2012 10:15 am    

Hi, Danny, I have an Emmons original in my S10. A truetone around 17.5- 18.5 K should get you in the ballpark. If you can't ever have any hum, you might try an Emmons 108N humbucking... they actually sound very close to single coils in an Emmons.
I'm itching to try the Telonics humbucking in an Emmons, but very satisfied with the SC I have in mine now.
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2012 10:34 am    

I'm getting ready to try one of my Tonealigner pickups in one of my pushpulls. Those old Emmons guitars sound remarkably good with just about any pickup in them as far as I can tell though. I would stick with the E66 unless there is something you don't like about it or I would find an old used stock Emmons single coil if I was concerned with it being in original condition. I tend to leave my vintage guitars alone as much as possible.

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2012 12:31 pm    

Danny I had Harold Saunders repair the original pickups from my '76 P/P. Harold is in one of the Carolinas and does a great job. His email address is; hsaunders@embarqmail.com
He can rewind it to whatever K value you like.
I think it was Herb Steiner that mentioned Harold in one of his posts.
Ben
Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2012 5:08 pm    

What do you think the original pickup was wound to. Like I said, it's a later model with the Legrand type pedals and knees.

Last edited by Danny Letz on 8 Jun 2012 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2012 5:12 pm    

I have an 83 push-pull with the LeGrand pedals. The pickups, which appear to be original, are single coils that measure out at 18.5K ohms.
Adam Goodale

Pflugerville, TX
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2012 12:31 pm    

If it were mine, i would buy a true tone and have it wound to around 15.5k - 16k ohms. JMHO...

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2012 4:00 pm    

I have E66s in 3 push pulls...I like 'em!
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2012 7:43 pm    

Ben Lawson wrote:
Danny I had Harold Saunders repair the original pickups from my '76 P/P. Harold is in one of the Carolinas and does a great job. His email address is; hsaunders@embarqmail.com
He can rewind it to whatever K value you like.
I think it was Herb Steiner that mentioned Harold in one of his posts.
Ben

Yes, Harold Saunders does an excellent job and makes pickups that are identical to stock Emmons pickups. I have them in 3 of my PP's, and two of his pickups are in The Blade.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2012 3:11 am    

You're right in that you'll probably get a lot different opinions on this subject. Here's mine.

Yesterday I went to where I store my pedal steels. There the cases were, lined like soldiers against the wall. So, I counted 'em and there were 11. Ok, add the 2 at home and deduct one for being a Zum, one for being an empty case, and that makes

11 push pulls. Why so many? Well, there was a while when I just seemed to stumble across them at good prices.

Anyway, so what's my point and how does that relate to this thread's subject? It's this. Put a single coil Emmons pickup back in the thing. Keep it original. It'll sound fine. If and when you (or your heirs) go to sell it it will go fast. Otherwise, you're sure to hear something like, "do you have its original pickup?"

I oughtta' know. If I get a p/p with a non-original pickup in it, out it comes and an original is put in.
Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2012 6:09 am    

Ron Jr will sell you an Emmons single coil.....they still can't be beat, in my book.
Lynn Stafford

Ridgefield, WA USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2012 8:01 am     Emmons Single Coil Pickups

Tony Glassman wrote:
Ron Jr will sell you an Emmons single coil.....they still can't be beat, in my book.

I would have to agree as far as single coil pickups go. I still have a pair of Telonics humbucking pickups I had in an '89 LeGrande that I recently sold to a customer in Texas. His teacher, Neil Flanz advised him to go with the Emmons SC pickups that I offered as an option, so he did. I plan to put the Telonics pickups in a PP, as I thought they sounded about as close to an Emmons SC as you could get with a humbucker (quiet, of course but with lots of clarity and bite). I never got a chance to play that LeGrande on the bandstand before I sold it, so I'm very anxious to do that with this PP that I plan on keeping (at least for a while).

STEEL GUITAR WEST
http://www.steelguitarwest.com
Steel Guitar Technician (Restoration, Set-up, Service and Repair work)

Previous Emmons Authorized Dealer & Service Technician (original factory is now closed)

ZumSteel Authorized Service Technician
----------------------------------
Larry Moore

Hampton, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2012 6:04 am     Emmons orginal PU

I have a orginal Emmons 1967 S-10 ( the ones that were on a single frame )
It has the orginal single coil it mesures 14.20 Ohms

If I were looking for the old orginal PP sound I would give Ron Jr. a call to make a Emmons PU.
He does a pretty good job on them.
Larry
Nathan Golub

Durham, NC
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2012 7:57 am    

When the front pickup gave out on my p/p I ordered a new one wound to about 17k from the Emmons factory. This was about three years ago. They got it to me pretty quickly and I've been very happy with it since.