| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pedal 5 on a knee lever
Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 21 May 2012 2:51 pm    

I put just the 5th string lower on a RKL for the C neck so when I need pedal 5 and 7 together I do not have to use 2 feet. Also works well just playing a 7th chord 2 frets back and missing or hunting for pedal 5 in the dark.

Larry Behm

Phone: 971-219-8533
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 21 May 2012 4:39 pm    

I put mine on LKR. I shall miss it there on my universal, in fact I may put it on a cluster lever somewhere
Russ Wever

Kansas City
Post  Posted 21 May 2012 7:12 pm    

fwiw, I've had 'pedal five' on a 'middle knee' since the early seventies, not long after I had begun on steel.
a local St Louis player was very proficient in the chalker style and used this setup on his c6th.
like you say, larry, it allows the often used pedal 5 & 7 combo while maintaining control of the expression pedal,
but also makes it easier to rapidly alternate between those two pedals and also easier to alternate between the
'pedal five' knee and pedal eight.
I know some guys have put pedal seven on a knee, but I don't think I'd want to try and finesse those whole-tone changes with a leg.
on an 'aside', I've been curious to try having the 'lower the third string (C-B)' on a floor pedal rather
than a knee to check out the quicker articulation that the foot might provide in chord/melody playing -
so much easier to tap a pedal down with a toe as opposed to hurling a whole leg laterally.
~russ
Russ Wever

Kansas City
Post  Posted 21 May 2012 7:13 pm    

( dupe )

Last edited by Russ Wever on 21 May 2012 11:54 pm; edited 5 times in total
Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 21 May 2012 9:48 pm    

I used to have an extra pedal 7 on a C-neck LKL for that same reason - so I could use 5/6/7 in combo, but it required a dedicated knee lever.

About three years ago I added the G->F# on my RKR (already had E9th 2nd and 9th string lowers), and it works just as well. I've tried bunch of other different things on that "freed-up" LKL C6th lever. So far I've stuck with the 3rd string C -> D and A -> Bb. It works nicely by itself or w/ pedal 6.

BTW - Larry, Thanks for overseeing the PDX jam. I had a blast.
Gary Walker

Morro Bay, CA
Post  Posted 27 May 2012 4:21 pm    

For years I played a MSA Classic D-12. I had pedal 5 on RKL and pedal 8 on RKR. It worked great and I miss it. It was a C6 workhouse.