| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  South Sea Island Magic By Jules Ah See
Roger Shackelton

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 May 2012 12:42 am    

Webley Edwards presents HAWAIIAN STRINGS. The Tune Is "South Sea Island Magic" Jules Ah See is playing the steel guitar.

Recorded in Honolulu on Capitol Records in 1959

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vkZFlXRMlY&feature=related
Butch Pytko

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2012 9:02 am    

Great song! One of my all-time favorites--I learned this very version by Jules, note-for-note. I believe he's using 2 tunings on this, as well as on other songs. On that one strum-type-lick, I think he's jumping from the C13 to the B11 tuning. BUT, I could be wrong, as I know full-well when this album was recorded in 1959, Jules was using his Fender pedal steel at that time period.
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 14 May 2012 9:36 am    

Sweetness.

Sounds like 2 steel guitars to me.

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2012 12:40 pm    

Yes, 2 steel guitars--Jules up-front & Barney Isaacs playing back-up.
Mac McKenzie

Auckland, New Zealand * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 15 May 2012 1:31 am     South Sea Island Magic by Jules Ah See

Gee, it was wonderful to hear that sound again. I must give myself time to play those Hawaii Calls LPs again - in my view, they cannot be surpassed. But the spin off, for me, was Royal Hawaiian Hotel by Mai Aloma - Jeff Goorams (?) - Dick McIntire inspired maybe, but played beautifully. This is the first time I have heard this player, I must try and find more.
Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 May 2012 7:57 pm    

Gee....listening to that makes me visualize sitting under the big Banyan tree at the Moana, sipping on a drink ! Very Happy
I miss that place ! Very Happy
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2012 8:57 pm    

It's still there, Bill, you're just not, but should be.
Butch Pytko

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2012 9:10 am    

Wow, Ron, you get to prowl-around all those areas there--fantastic! I guess if I ever returned to Hawaii, & setting-foot on Waikiki Beach, the first thing I would do is look for all the places at the big hotels where Hawaii Calls was broadcasted, & just stand there & reminisce about all the musical history that took place!
Jack Aldrich

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2012 9:45 am    

Butch Pytko wrote:
Wow, Ron, you get to prowl-around all those areas there--fantastic! I guess if I ever returned to Hawaii, & setting-foot on Waikiki Beach, the first thing I would do is look for all the places at the big hotels where Hawaii Calls was broadcasted, & just stand there & reminisce about all the musical history that took place!

Alan Akaka plays with the Keawe Ohana Thursday nights at the Moana Terrace at the Marriott, Cyril Pahinui has jeff Au Hoy Wednesdays at Kanekapila's at the Outrigger, Greg Sardhinha plays at the Halekaulani on Tuesdays, Bobby ingano sits in with Martin Pahinui most Sunday afternoons at the Marriott, Derrick Mau plays at Honey's at the Ho'onai golf course in Kaneohe on Fridays, Paul Kim is there Sunday afternoons. It goes on. - Jack
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2012 12:54 pm    

John Aldrich wrote:
Butch Pytko wrote:
I guess if I ever returned to Hawaii, & setting-foot on Waikiki Beach, the first thing I would do is look for all the places at the big hotels where Hawaii Calls was broadcasted, & just stand there & reminisce about all the musical history that took place!
Bobby Ingano sits in with Martin Pahinui most Sunday afternoons at the Marriott. It goes on.
Butch, those very few opportunities are almost all I find worthy of Waikiki. I may be spoiled but being a fan of glorious old Waikiki it's sad that it's virtually all gone, as is steel guitar. The Moana does retain many a semblance of the old days, and I enjoy viewing old pix to locate the various pre-renovations areas that were used during Hawaii Calls. It's a virtual oasis that can take you back to when steel was king and life was different. The Royal Hawaiian similarly has been gutted and the new interiors reflecting very little of it's hey days, as well as the grounds. These places still are indeed special, but time marches on, and tramples over the era that was.

Jack, you can chalk up Bobby with Martin as yet another moment that doesn't happen now, except for the rare times he has real reason to do so. The steel events you mentioned are pretty much the whole iceberg, with very little else that can be relied on to provide a steel guitar experience on Oahu.
Bill Wynne

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2012 11:45 am    

John Aldrich wrote:
... Derrick Mau plays at Honey's at the Ho'onai golf course in Kaneohe on Fridays, Paul Kim is there Sunday afternoons. It goes on. - Jack

Slip, I am pretty sure that is the Ko'olau Golf Course in Kane'ohe.