| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Amp Cleaning
John Dowden

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2012 3:27 pm    

I just picked up a 68 dual showman reverb head for 400 bucks off of craigslist and it needs a lot of TLC.

At some point in its life someone decided to use black spraypaint on the tolex and front baffle cloth and got overspray all over the backpanel and tube covers. Mad
Kinda sucks that someone would ruin the drip edge by doing that but it didn't bother me much since it's going in a slightly smaller head cabinet eventually.

I managed to get all of the overspray off of the backpanel with a mr clean magic eraser but I'm trying to figure out what to do about this odd green haze that is covering most of the metal on the underside of the chassis. Anyone ever really experience this green stuff and figure out how to take it off?
Craig Schwartz

McHenry IL
Post  Posted 15 May 2012 4:28 am    

Acetone is a very flammable but strong chemical to rub down metals (use caution with all chemicals)....Trial and error with different ideas works best for the unknown....This chemical will actually melt some paints, plastics and fiberglass, acetone is fierce on your hands , be careful, do it outside for sure.
Please remember this: when choosing to use anyones suggestions here on this forum, They will not take any responsibility for responding with cheap advice , Its purely just an opinion to your question...

Good luck John
I hope you get that green stuff off, it may grow legs and walk away Smile

Larryville, NJ, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2012 4:36 am    

Green haze on metal? It sounds like oxidation.
Bill Howard

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2012 1:18 pm     Sno Bol

Be careful with this idea but try some toilet bowl cleaner,use a small amount to test, like a q tip??. Sno Bol is pretty much staight acid so be very careful...
Craig Schwartz

McHenry IL
Post  Posted 18 May 2012 2:25 pm    

Bill that is a good sugestion,
I use the cleaner called the works, for the bottom & sides of a boat for getting the green slime (algea) completely off in no time at all.

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2012 10:33 am     Thanks

I also use Sno Bol TB cleaner in my Coffee Pot.
They sell Quote HD cleaner which is nothing except acid many commercial C pot cleners are othing but acid Sno Bol is less than 2 bucks at Fam Dollar...Of one litlt thing od c pot cleaner is3 or 4 dollars you get one use out of it,heck I only use about a cpl ounces of sno bol so 16 or more uses for half price:)...Of course when you do this run plent of water thru pot and clean res out well rince with clean water several times make sure all of the cleaner is gone... you will not believe what you been drinking:)...
Bill Howard

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2012 10:38 am     one more thing

I bought an Old twin in 1981 it had been in a bar many many years (got 2 like this).
I removed ALL hardware and amp head and speakers, I put that baby in a bthtub and used a hand held shower on it you should have seen the dirt roll out of it nicotine,..I used shampoo and a soft brush now afterwards I dried it really well with paper towels then put a fan in front of it to dry,I used armour all on it,used q tips and had soaked the knobs, the grill cloth looked bad I had little to no money in those days I actually spay painted the grill cloth black.after I washed it under the shower,that amp looked like NEW!!!