| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Paper vs. aluminum speaker dust cap domes
Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2009 10:19 am    

I just received a 15" Weber Michigan speaker with a paper dome to put in my '72 Fender Vibrosonic. The idea is to have one combo amp for double duty gigs (Tele and pedal steel). I'm tired of dragging two rigs around! I like the speaker a lot but am now curious about the aluminum dome and how the mids might be affected. Will it clean them up a bit or give me more headroom? Also will this speaker react a lot different when broken in a little more? It actually sounds good right out of the box. I am looking for a happy medium for the two instruments that have different requirements. I think I'm almost there with the Vibrosonic.

Thanks
Dave
David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2009 11:50 am    

In my experience, speakers with aluminum dust caps have a little more sparkle in the highs, and a little more complexity overall. Paper dust caps have a little more mellow and simple sound. Most speakers mellow out some after being played several hours.
Bill Duncan

Lenoir, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2009 2:48 pm    

I seem to remember reading that, I think his name is Harvey Gherst, who designed some famous vintage JBL's, stated that the aluminum dust cap came about because it looked good, and had no effect what so ever on the highs.

I may be mistaken, and I'm sure someone will set me straight if so.

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2009 3:14 pm    

Well, I have never compared the exact same speaker with and without an aluminum dust cap; so my opinion might be influenced by the different types of speakers and not just the dust cap. Weber makes several models that are available with either paper or aluminum dust caps. It would be interesting to AB one of those. Probably if you call up Weber and ask him, he can tell you how much difference he hears. And he might let you try one of each and return the one you don't want. Or, if you are getting a pair, maybe you could get one of each, and swap back the one you don't prefer.
Scott Swartz

St. Louis, MO
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2009 9:39 am    

Weber will send you an aluminum dust cap, and you can temporarily attach with a little masking tape.

If the aluminum is a larger diameter you could carefully cut away the paper dome and super glue or epoxy the aluminum one in place.

I have a California 15 and I had them ship the dust caps loose. I tried them all (2 paper, 1 aluminum) out and settled on the larger diameter paper, glued it on myself its easy
Rich Peterson

Moorhead, MN
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2009 3:59 am    

I used to have (they were stolen) a pair of JBL D-120's that had been (unauthorized by JBL) reconed with paper domes. Since I played guitar with a bit of grit in the sound, the paper tamed the razor's edge effect.

If a paper dome speaker doesn't have the definition you want, try using an "exciter" effect box.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2009 8:45 am    

IMHO, the aluminum dust caps won't do squat for your midrange. And it's certain they will not affect the headroom, either (which is more a function of sensitivity and power). What they will do is add a tiny bit of brightness or presence to your sound. Overall, the differences are pretty minor, with the cone material and design playing a far more important role in the overall sound. Paper dustcaps can be replaced with aluminum ones, or vice-versa. Also, in a pinch, "spikey" aluminum-domed speakers can be tamed with the addition of a piece of felt over the aluminum cap, or a "blocker" in front of the speaker.

FWIW, at least half of the players I've ever talked to over the years told me the reason they liked the aluminum caps was because "they look cool"! Rolling Eyes
Jason Montgomery

Portland, Oregon USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2012 9:23 am    

this is an old thread but wondering how this worked out for you dave. I am on a similar path of trying to use one amp and my guitar tone tends to be a bit broken up. just ordered a Weber Michigan for my vibrasonic.
Jason Montgomery

Portland, Oregon USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2012 9:40 am    

this is an old thread but wondering how this worked out for you dave. I am on a similar path of trying to use one amp and my guitar tone tends to be a bit broken up. just ordered a Weber Michigan for my vibrasonic.