| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Info on Sho-Bud "The Professional?" Value?
Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2012 6:15 am    

This Sho-Bud showed up in my local music store. It is serial number 4475, made around November 16, 1973. C6 neck is rack and barrell; E9 neck has barrels and 2-hole pullers. Conversion or custom order - unknown. At least nylon tuning nut was obviously replaced. It has original pickups. It looks like it had somewhat of a rough life until now. There are several chips in the finish on top. Note the name that is hand engraved into the changer end plate. The E9 neck still sounds great, though. The C6 neck plays, but not with as much volume as the E9 neck. Some solder joints look questionable.

This Bud is probably for sale if a fair price can be determined. Any information or comments are welcome. Fire away.

Jim Eaton

Santa Susana, Ca
Post  Posted 9 May 2012 9:37 am    

That is ALOT of extra screw holes on the underside of that baby!!! Smile

JE:-)>
Jerome Hawkes

Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2012 10:27 am    

i sold one in similar shape last year for $500 - i was asking $800. the problem with these is even when fully pro restored, they seldom bring $1600-1800. and it's $$$$$ to restore one.
they sound good though.
sometimes you can part them out and come out better. there are so many still out there people are needing parts for.

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2012 10:53 am    

I am not sure what the value of that guitar would be, here are some photos of one that I purchased a couple of years ago, Looks and plays good. I believe that both sides guitar you are looking at should be the rack and barrel style. It looks like that guitar has had serious conversion work done on it.

I believe the underside of the guitar should look mostly like this one.
Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 9 May 2012 11:47 am    

The upgrade to 2hole pullers on the front neck is most likely a good thing, depending on who did the work.
There's a combination of nylon tuners, and barrels on the strings that are raised twice. Not sure why they don't all have barrels. They all have nylon tuners at the changer, though...

Like Jim E says, there's alot of holes under the back neck, yet the racks look like they're in their stock positions, so who knows what's up with that...

The endplate looks a bit funky, which might not affect playability, but would decrease the asking price.

No telling what shape the p/u's are in, as well as hidden wear in the changer.

The body and finish seem to be in pretty good shape, from the pic. Underside is pretty rough, though.
Have the pedals been shaved, or are my eyes playing tricks on me? And, is the floor not level, or...

Some weirdness with the switches...

My take would be about $1200 tops, if everything is working right, and no hidden landmines. And I imagine some folks will think that's too high.
Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 9 May 2012 12:25 pm    

From my experience restoring my R&B. It isn't too costly, but a lot of labor. The deal breaker for me would be if the apron bond lines were coming apart at the corners. My opinion: a design flaw in SB cabinet design. If those joints are intact, then it's a much more attractive guitar. ( note: Mr. J. Moorehead taught me most of this)

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2012 1:23 pm    

I'm almost done with my Proffessioal to S/D restoration.(I'll Post pix) As Tom said, all my joints were loose, and the guitars too Laughing Seriously, I had to glue and screw apron joints and center joint, and build all the bracketry for all my reversing levers and vertical. I would agree with $1200, as is. Lots of time and work to get it nice but it could be a butte. Ron

Florida and New Jersey
Post  Posted 9 May 2012 2:33 pm     Bud value

$1000 IMHO
Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2012 7:18 pm    

I sold one of the cleanest best sounding ones in the world for $800 in about 1992 - and at the time it was all it was worth. Just from watching the forum and talking with friends across the country, I would say the estimates above are pretty well in line with the current value.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 9 May 2012 8:42 pm    

Jim said:
Quote:
That is ALOT of extra screw holes on the underside of that baby!!!

Pre-machined for future expansion. Laughing
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Carl Mesrobian

Salem, Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2012 6:14 am    

One exactly like that sold on eBay on May 3 for $1775 plus shipping - Looks like a bas****ized version! Noticed after I already bid on it..Luckily I got out bid, and my bid was a stretch! There will be more of them and in better shape -- there always are Smile

My D-10 looks like Bob Muller's , but with only two levers - more on the way!

"The better it gets, the fewer of us know it." Ray Brown
Carl Mesrobian

Salem, Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2012 6:19 am    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
Jim said:
Quote:
That is ALOT of extra screw holes on the underside of that baby!!!

Pre-machined for future expansion. Laughing

Cuts down on the weight Laughing Laughing

"The better it gets, the fewer of us know it." Ray Brown