| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  FENDER STRINGMASTER, tripple-neck, near mint....
Wes Hamshaw

Pacific City, Oregon * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2012 6:34 pm    

Long scale, triple-neck Stringmaster in near pristine condition offered for sale.
Year made is unknown to me as I have not removed any of the hardware to look. My guess is that it is one of the last made I bought it from a Forum member about a year and a-half ago. The story he told me is that the original buyer bought it new and then put it under the bed or in the closet
and that’s where it stayed. Years later he (or a family member) traded it in to a
“Guitar Center” where it was discovered and purchased by the Forum member.
Since I have had it, I have only tried to check that everything worked ok.

The color is a very dark mahagony (almost black) and is flawless except for one very small chip on the end near the 3rd neck tuner (see photo). The metal parts are bright and shiny with no sign of rust or pitting. The case is in great condition with some rubbing evident on the outside ends only. $3,100 delivered to your door - lower 48 states. Sorry, no trades. Many more photos are available - e-mail me or call Wes @ (503) 483-1064.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2012 6:51 pm    

Wow.
HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2012 8:53 pm    

A little correction if you don't mind......what you have there is a 24 1/2" scale with blend controls for the two pick ups.....the long scale is 26" and has two chrome pick ups without blend controls.....you can tell the scale by the fret markers below the 24th fret near the bridge....

The short scales (22 1/2") have two fret markers below the 24th fret......
The 24 1/2" scale has three fret markers
The 26" long scale has four fret markers...

IMO, the 24 1/2" scale is the most desireable.....if I didn't own three Quads, this one would now be on it's way to me.....

Last edited by HowardR on 15 Mar 2012 2:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
Wes Hamshaw

Post  Posted 14 Mar 2012 5:53 am     FENDER STRINGMASTER, tripple-neck, near mint....

Thanks for your input, Howard. I don't mind the correction at all. With your experience with Fender, could you help me establish when this one was made? I really don't want to take it apart to find out for sure. The rather unusual color may be some indication. Thanks for your help......Wes
Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 14 Mar 2012 6:00 am    

I had a black triple that looked like yours and had the same "octagonal"(?) tuner buttons. It was a '76. Does the Fender decal have patent numbers? If not, I would guess that yours is one of the last ones made from the late 70's.
Great guitars.
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2012 8:13 am    

Yes, the black finish was available from about 1976 until 1980-81... the end of the Stringmaster era, sadly. Fender started using the octagon shaped buttons (Fender F-tuners) in 1968.
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2012 8:38 am    

Jim Cohen wrote:
Wow.

Truly a very nice horn! What a clean specimen.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2012 10:12 am    

Doug Beaumier wrote:
Yes, the black finish was available from about 1976 until 1980-81... the end of the Stringmaster era, sadly. Fender started using the octagon shaped buttons (Fender F-tuners) in 1968.

I have a '69 Deluxe 8 with old-style butterbean Kluson keys so they must have been mixing them up some.

That is one sweet guitar. My checkbook and I are having a fight right now.
Wes Hamshaw

Post  Posted 14 Mar 2012 12:58 pm     FENDER STRINGMASTER, tripple-neck, near mint....

Thanks guys for all your help in pointing out some of the questions. Here are a couple more photos also that might help......

Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 14 Mar 2012 2:34 pm    

"Tail" under logo on the case, looks like a fairly thick finish...I say early 70's.
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2012 5:41 pm    

Quote:
I have a '69 Deluxe 8 with old-style butterbean Kluson keys so they must have been mixing them up some.

Yes, Fender always used up whatever stock they had on hand, so there are a lot of transitional guitars out there. In 1968 they went from cloth coated wiring to plastic coated, nitro finishes to poly finishes, and Kluson tuners to Fender F-tuners... but my 68 telecaster has a mix of cloth and plastic coated wiring and the pots are dated 1966. Fender used up all the parts and wasted nothing. Winking
Wes Hamshaw

Post  Posted 2 May 2012 12:24 pm     FENDER STRINGMASTER, tripple-neck, near mint....

Sold to HawardR. Forum donation to follow........W
Tommy Auldridge

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2012 5:37 pm     Whew! Man that was close!

Thanks Howard, for removing that terrible temptation.
I could have done something crazy again. Tommy.......