| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Peavey Studio Pro 112 as Nashville understudy?
Al Carey

Dublin, NH USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2012 4:01 am    

I'm looking at a Peavey Studio Pro 112(red stripe) on local CL. It's cheap, I'm wondering if it would make a decent PSG amp for low volume?

Thanks,
Al

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2012 8:16 am     studio pro

To me the answer is yes. I've used one for years as a practice'bedroom' amp and for small gigs needing low volume. Mine is fairly old,turquoise stripe, 65w. Very portable,good reverb and tone, line out. I use the headphones alot with a small mixer to play tracks along with steel in my apt. It was my main guitar amp when playing 2nd guitar in a band where I played steel as my main inst. Will use it again in the same fashion if the chance arises.MD
Al Carey

Dublin, NH USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2012 7:35 am    

Thanks for the reply, Michael.

Judging by the lack of responses to the thread, I guess there isn't a lot of love for this amp. But for 1/4 the price of what I see used Nashvilles going for, I think it's got to be worth it.

Post  Posted 1 May 2012 7:56 am    

The lack of response comes from the snobs that think they know everything & if it ain't what they use then it ain't no good!!!
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 1 May 2012 9:01 am    

Lack of response could mean few people have experience with the amp in question. Neutral
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2012 9:15 am    

They seem to be going for about $100, which is a great price for anything these days. I'd buy it just to try it.

Dublin, NH USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2012 11:36 am    

b0b wrote:
They seem to be going for about $100, which is a great price for anything these days. I'd buy it just to try it.

That's what I paid. It's had to believe I won't get my money's worth out of it... But I can always turn around and sell it.

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2012 2:29 pm     Worked great for me.

I used one for a while. Loved playing through it. Sure was lighter than the Session 500!

Even used it for an outdoor wedding once...leaned it back against a big old hackberry, cranked the volume up pretty high, and floorboarded the VP most of the time. Cracked me up because the soundman, who before the wedding started hadn't been too thrilled about PSG backing a harpist, nearly ran down to me afterward and had a zillion questions about it. Outdoors, at that volume, it had made my bombproof MSA CLASSIC sound like a million bucks...even with me playing it. Shocked

I sure wish I'd kept it. Sold it to Jimmy Harpers guitar player, about a year prior to Jimmy's passing, with the understanding that I had first shot if he ever sold it. He's still using it.

See ya.......Joel

ps. What b0b said, above.

Dublin, NH USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2012 2:00 pm    

So I picked up the amp. I'm pretty happy with it... I think it makes my MSA sound as good as anything could, when I'm driving Rolling Eyes

The reverb is a little noisy. It has a pretty noticeable hum, I wonder if there's shielding to the tank or better cabling that would help.

Gilbert, Arizona
Post  Posted 7 May 2012 7:19 pm    

I haven't been checking the Forum every day, so I didn't see your post until today. I think you made a good purchase. I have had a Studio-Pro 112 for about 10 years. I have a Session 500, but the weight of it can be rather discouraging. I wasn't entirely satisfied with the Studio Pro and was looking around for another amp. I made my thoughts known to Dave Beaty from Telonics. He recommended that I add a Lexicon MX-200 and he provided some of his custom settings. I noticed a lot of improvment. Then I got a Teleonics pedal and was amazed at how much better my guitars sounded through the Studio-Pro. I am so happy with the sound that I stopped looking for another amp and will stick with the Studio-Pro until who knows when. If the Studio-Pro fries itself tomorrow and can't be fixed, I won't complain. I bought it new for less than $300 and have gotten 10 years use so far.
Al Carey

Dublin, NH USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2012 4:27 pm    

Thanks for the reply, Rick. I'm pretty happy with the amp. I did find the reverb hiss annoying, so I'm running thru my pod XT for reverb and it sounds good, and is quiet.

Are you running your lexicon in front of the amp, or in the effects loop?

Gilbert, Arizona
Post  Posted 8 May 2012 6:59 pm    

Al, it is through the EFX loop. I don't really use much that the Lexicon has to offer. I usually leave it set on one setting with a little reverb and a little delay. There is a lot on there if I wanted to use it, but I like my sound pretty much straight up.
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 10 May 2012 2:04 am    

Hey Al, the SP 112 is probably a great amp as I have the smaller version called the Studio Pro 110 which is one killer amp. A while back I did a stage show at a large theater here called "Stand By Your Man" which was a Tammy Wynette/George Jones music show and play. During rehearsals I used the SP 110 as we were in a rehearsal space and didn't need a bigger amp. On one of the final days before the show opened, I went to rehearsal to find that they'd moved our equipment to the main stage and I didn't have access to my main amp so I had to do it with the smaller Peavey. To my surprise the little beast sounded great so I went ahead and used it for the run of the play.........JH in Va.