| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Marty Stuart Show
Ronnie Boettcher

Brunswick Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2012 4:42 pm    

Just finished watching the show. It gave me goose bumps, throughout the 1/2 hour show. That was country music in its greatness. I contribute my tiny share to it too. A grain of sand on the beach of good country music. If any of yall didn't get to see that show, try to catch the rerun of it. Well worth the time. Just awesome!!!

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2012 4:53 pm    

GREAT SHOW, I loved every minute of it. J.R.
Dennis Graves

Maryville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2012 6:45 pm    

I thought it was the best show that he's had. Plenty of great steel by Gary. Not having to listen to Leroy was a big bonus.
Brad Malone

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2012 7:03 pm     Leroy Troy, a kids kind of guy.

Not having to listen to Leroy was a big bonus.<<

I completely agree..what Marty sees in this guy I'll never know..he would be a great guy for a kid's show, the 4 to 8 year olds.
Wally Taylor

Hardin, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2012 8:39 pm    

Yeah, what Dennis and Brad said. Leroy is a distraction and will immediately evoke a channel change at my house!
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2012 4:04 am    

I agree about Leroy. Marty should use his time slot for someone else.
J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2012 4:29 am    

I am very glad that others feel the same as I about Leroy. He does not fit in the show of country music. Just let Connie do another song, could not be any better then. J.R.
Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2012 5:36 am    

I too enjoy the Marty Stuart Show. I could to do without Leroy as well. The band does a great job just as Gary Carter does on steel. Thank God for RFD TV which shows some true country music. We need more shows like this one. The bad news is most country music today stinks and is not country. I do believe that Midwest Country should be replaced with something better. That Branson On The Road group just makes me want to pull the rest of my hair out.
Dave Simonis

Stevens Point, WI USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2012 6:47 am    

I enjoy the show, and enjoy Leroy. I believe Marty is trying to reproduce the country music shows of the past that combined some old-time/bluegrass and humor - plus support his bluegrass background. To me it's classic by itself...a mix of gospel/country/bluegrass.

As much as I enjoy Gary with the Superlatives, sometimes I feel it gets more on the Rock-a-billy side (no steel on tunes) and that loses a bit of my interest, but I still enjoy the overall show. Perhaps because I play mandolin/fiddle too and enjoy bluegrass/old-time. I will say I know a few people who mainly watch the show for Leroy - I guess it's all what we're into.

Glad there's an RFD playing this stuff,and this show remains a part of the lineup...I never miss it. Let's hope the powers that be never pull a "Gaylord" on us and decide differently.

Fiddle: Zeta, Arthur Conner, many others.../Steel: GFI SD-10 Ultra.../Mandolin: Breedlove.../Guitar: Gibson, Fender, Taylor.../Amps: Peavey NV112, Evans FET 500.../Others: Hilton, Goodrich, Stereo Steel, Pendulum Pre-amp...
Shorty Smith

Columbus, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2012 6:57 am    

Marty has a great show except for Leroy. Leroy is ok but don't fit into this show, just my opinion, Shorty
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2012 3:03 pm    

Who is Leroy ???
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Scott Shipley

The Ozark Mountains
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2012 4:34 pm    

I automatically turn the channel when I hear "Mansion-On-The-Night-Life-Hill." Again. Cool

Sherman Tx. 75092 ,U.S.A. (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2012 5:17 pm     The Marty Stuart Show On RFD Countyr

Code:
[b] :D  :whoa:  :roll:  8)

Hi fellow country music lovers; I agree with you all about Leroy being miss-placed on Marty's Show; I believe he is a good musician, but not on this show; I, too, would love to hear them play more with Gary being spot-lighted on the pretty green Zum. In my opinion, Gary is the one whom makes it country.. Thanks. Marty and Kenny play too much Rock-A - Billy twangy guitar. just my two cents worth..Bernie[/b]

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2012 10:14 pm     Marty Stuart show

Did anyone see Marty in Viroqua, WI on Sunday? I know a lot of my friends/pickers did. And by the way, hi Bernie! I didn't realize you guys were discussing the TV show, i thought it was the live show today. That one was all acoustic without steel just the 3 piece behind Marty. Sorry if I'm off topic here.
Bob Vantine

Freeville, New York, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2012 2:40 am    

Did folks feel the same way about Speck Rhoads ?
How about Mr. Morrison on the Wilburn Brothers Show ?
How about all of Hee-Haw ? ..... Grandpa Jones , String Bean ..... maybe even Cousin Jody ?
.....how about ole What's-His-Name that played dobro w/Acuff ?

Leroy is a friend and a favorite to the Grandkids at our house ..... just like all of the above were to me at their age .

They ALL ,even Leroy , have as much to do with country music as any ...... and I cringe when twits with distorted guitars come on with Marty too ..... and Carter Family relatives that sound like bull-frogs . Maybe it's a steel guitar VS banjo thing ?

Disapointed with some comments here ..... sorry .
Peavey Guitars
Bill Howard

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2012 5:24 am     Martys Show

Marty loved Porter wagoners show, OK Leroy Troy is supposed to be the Speck rhoades of Martys Show.
Leroy isn't dumb as one may think anyone who can spin a Banjo in circles and never lose NARY LICK isn't all stupid, Also how many of us get to go on a national TV show each week??. No one can please everyone. I put Martys shows on DVR and sail past good old Leroy and that Jug band ....ditto:)
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 23 Apr 2012 6:59 am    

Leroy is vaudvillian in a country kinda way. I think he's Marty's attempt at bringing that tradition to the show. He's a minor distraction to me, but I get it nonetheless. Maybe we should all try laughing with him and not at him. Smile
Kevin Lichtsinn

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2012 7:35 am     Marty

I saw the show too and I think it was Marty's best show ever. Boys and girls, I was in heaven for 30 minutes! It was my kind of country and I was keeping my eye on that pedal steel!!!! Keep it up Marty!!!
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2012 9:20 am    

It's OK to like or not like Leroy. I get his act. He's not even close to the class of String Bean, Minnie Pearl or Homer and Jethro or even Crazy Elmer (Wheeling, WV). He is close to Speck Rhodes, Rod Brasfield and the like though and that's pretty low on my talent scale.

I would much rather see Carl Jackson or Mike Snider in that slot. How about putting the ex Johnson Mountain Boys fiddle player Eddie Stubbs in that slot? He sings also and plays and talks awesome. Leroy plays a nice clawhammer banjo and he could still pick alongside Eddie.

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2012 10:01 am    

Greg, I agree Eddie Stubbs would be a much better slot feature. There's a real country music fiddler and MC.
Bill Howard

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2012 10:48 am     Jealous

I heard froma cpl people that Marty doesn't like competition and eddie Stubbs plays pretty good.
My Fathe was a 50's bar room player, dad told me something that has always seemd to be dead on.
He said 2 things you don't want to follow on a Stage.
1- A KID and more specific a little girl dressed up.
2- a Fiddle Player.
there used to be a guy here in Indpls a fiddler he would go to talent shows in my days of being broke,
He would do Charlie daniels and of course it was the thing back then he usually won.. But I finally beat him one rainy night in the 90's.. it was a slow type night he done one of those peppy songs,I done an ld Elvis song one night... it fit the crowd,I got the 50 Bucks heh heh heh:)
Billy Henderson

Portland, AR, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2012 11:37 am     Leroy

WOW, I thought I was the only one that didn't like Leroy...Never could understand why Marty would even consider him as a regular.
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2012 11:38 am    

Check out the dry humor, facial expressions, fast fingers, and bow work on this Eddie Stubbs tune:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ewQB3z1wKU

How about a bluegrass segment in the slot with Eddie, Marty's mandolin, standup bass and some banjo?

Eddie is a servicable singer too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwoyAj4ES08

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Scott Shipley

The Ozark Mountains
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2012 12:15 pm    

Glad we got so many qualified TV producers on here. I'm sure Marty would appreciate all the tips. Btw, haven't heard anyone mention Leroy's professional hero Uncle Dave Macon. You guys apparently are all too young to remember traditional Country music from when it started......to each his own.
Winking

California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2012 10:14 pm     About Leroy

Okay, I gotta jump in here for Leroy. The reason Marty has him on the show is because despite his country bumpkin humor, he is a great musician. Have you ever tried to flail a banjo? or spin it around while singing and never miss a lick? That ain't easy to do, folks. He plays the "Grandpa Jones" style of banjo, and for better or worse, it is a part of Country Music history and the comedians like Speck Rhodes, Grandpa Jones, Minnie Pearl and so many more have provided so many laughs to so many people over the years. Leroy is carrying on a great tradition.

Yeah, I would probably rather hear Gary Carter play the pedal steel, or Marty pull that B-Bender or Connie sing another song, but you have to admit that Leroy does make you laugh, at least I do.