| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Newbie needs advice.....
Bobby Martin

Post  Posted 8 Apr 2012 7:18 pm    

I have been playing guitar for 20 years or so, but have always wanted to try my hand at PSG. Being disabled and on a fixed income, this has been quite a daunting task to find the funds to purchase one. I have recently come across a Little Buddy 10 string 3x1 at what I believe to be a reasonable price, or at least a price I can afford. Would this be a decent starter PSG? I don't intend to play professionally or anything...just for my own enjoyment. Any advice would be appreciated.
Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2012 7:50 pm    

If by "afford" you mean under $300 then sure, why not? Lots of us began with limited pedals and levers and there's plenty to learn in it all....

That being said, 3+1 will maybe get you started but you will be missing a big part of the picture; 3+2 is really the barest minimum to learn how the E9 neck works, and most folks consider 3+4 to be more or less the "standard" beginning E9 setup.

Do some searching here about the guitar in question and beginning rigs in general, take a look at what's here on the forum for sale as well, and you will no doubt be a wiser man for the effort. You may go with this guitar in the end but you will know for sure WHY you are doing so (or not). What's not to like about that?
Bobby Martin

Post  Posted 8 Apr 2012 8:19 pm    

The price would be under $200. That is why I was considering it. I've shopped around, researched here on the forum and on the internet and had decided that I was going to save what I could and wait till I had the money to order a new Stage One. But with the economy the way it is and my income being limited, it will be sometime next year before I could even think of ordering one. That being said, if I purchased the PSG in question, it would not hinder me from getting my new one next year, but would give me a year to learn before I did, and maybe push me to look for options on a new PSG that I have not even considered yet. My big concern is spending the money and getting a paperweight instead of a PSG. Laughing Laughing Laughing I guess what I'm looking for is this.....am I better off waiting for a better quality PSG?? or is this a good place to start? I don't want hours of frustration trying to get a peice of junk to do something it will never do to drive me completely insane.
Ransom Beers

Post  Posted 9 Apr 2012 4:27 am    

My suggestion is get the Lil' Buddy,I had one & learned a lot on it.That being said a Lil' Buddy will enable you to learn the basic chord structure & certain other aspects of steel playing then when you can afford a new Stage One or ??? you can most likely sell the Lil' Buddy for about the same price you paid.
Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2012 9:14 am    

At under $200 you are golden Very Happy