| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bypassing Pre-Gain Section on NV112
Dan Blaisdell

Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2012 6:15 pm    

Several months ago I saw a thread on the Forum about plugging the guitar directly into the pre-EQ Return jack to bypass the pre-gain section. It made perfect sense at the time, and I've been connecting this way since with good results. I can't locate that old thread, and I'm wondering now why it seemed like such a great idea. I'm also thinking about installing upgraded chips. If I do that will I have to use the pre-gain section to take advantage of the new chips? Thanks

Last edited by Dan Blaisdell on 30 Mar 2012 4:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2012 6:59 pm    

Actually you should probably plug an outboard preamp into the "power amp-in" plug in the back, to bypass the amp preamp !
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Dave Simonis

Stevens Point, WI USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2012 8:13 pm    

Dan,

When I use my 112 I plug into the pre-eq return jack as you mentioned. The main reason is I use a Goodrich matchbox and VP or sometimes just a Hilton pedal and found it seemed to be over kill plugging the output from my Goodrich units or Hilton into the pre-gain pre-amp, which feeds the amp's main pre-amp and eq stage. I also think the sound is a bit beefier by-passing that first pre-amp stage (at least in my mind).

I know there are a number of op-amp's replaced during the mod, and I think you are going to be okay and you will still get the benefit of the mod in the eq'd pre-amp stage because those chips get upgraded too. Someone else can chime in maybe who has done the mod.

Fiddle: Zeta, Arthur Conner, many others.../Steel: GFI SD-10 Ultra.../Mandolin: Breedlove.../Guitar: Gibson, Fender, Taylor.../Amps: Peavey NV112, Evans FET 500.../Others: Hilton, Goodrich, Stereo Steel, Pendulum Pre-amp...