| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pedal bar grub screw
Alan Bidmade

Newcastle upon Tyne UK
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2015 3:51 am    

There are two brackets on the pedal bar on my old Sho-Bud that hold the 'crank' in place on which the foot pedals rotate. The crank is held in place with a grub screw that is tightened with an allen wrench through the bottom of one of the brackets.
I seem to have 'shredded' the thread on either the grub screw or the bracket itself when replacing after cleaning and re-lubing. I've made a temporary 'fix' with a Jubilee clip' (at least that's what they call them here in the UK - a 'circle' of aluminium with a thread that screws tight to join piping etc - plumbers use them a lot). I would like to fix it properly. Are the grub screws available to buy, does anyone know? I'll need to have the bracket re-drilled and threaded to take a new grub screw but I guess an auto shop might be able to do that. Any other suggestions? Maybe a new bracket? I'm sure this must be quite a common problem because the grub screw is very small and easy to mis-align when replacing, which I suspect is what happened in my case.
All assistance/thoughts gratefully received.
Ben-Rom #017 'Lorelei', Guild D25, Epiphone 'Joe Pass', Roland 40XL, Hilton VP

First name Alan, but known as Nick
Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2015 4:27 am    

Alan,
Take the bar to a machine shop, and have them drill and tap to the next size up.Simple fix..Bill
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2015 8:51 am    

you could probably retap it yourself. alyoumineeyum is pretty soft. i'd call that an axle rather than a crank.
Alan Bidmade

Newcastle upon Tyne UK
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2015 12:01 pm    

Thanks guys! Would I be right in thinking that the next size up would also ensure a grub screw could be obtained (or something similar that would do the job)?
Chris - I couldn't do this myself. I elected to do 'metalwork' at school - you guys might call it 'shop'. My teacher said to me (in full Lancashire accent),
"Have you got a sister?"
"Yes, sir."
"Well I bet thy sister shapes better than thee".
Yes, in the 1960's in Lancashire they still used 'thy' and 'thee'. ['Shapes' means 'could do'.]
He was right. Pedal steel guitar is a challenge for someone as un-mechanical as me. (Although I do understand the term 'axle' being better than crank.)
Ben-Rom #017 'Lorelei', Guild D25, Epiphone 'Joe Pass', Roland 40XL, Hilton VP

First name Alan, but known as Nick
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2015 1:14 pm    

An automotive machine shop could take care of it in ten minutes.
Ronnie Boettcher

Brunswick Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2015 7:18 pm     grub screw

Like said before, drill and tap it to the metric size larger than the original, and those screws should be found all over. When you put the block back on the shaft, file the burr off on the axle. then install, and do not tighten too much. Just snug it up good. there is no pressure on it so you don,t have to tighten too much, and strip the aluminum again. Very easy fix. Good luck, Ronnie

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2015 11:15 am    

The set screw usually grubs a dymple in the crank. Last ShoBud I did I had to file the crank smooth, so,,, I actually filed a flat for the grubby screw to sit, and used a flat-ended set screw, and a little dab of Loktite.
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps