| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Height of LVK
Rick Myrland

New Orleans
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2012 9:27 am    

While watching a recent Paul Sutherland video about the vertical knee lever (thanks Paul for finally showing me what to do with it -- and those B & C pedals!) I noticed his leg barely moves. Then it dawned on me that my steel has about a 2" lift on it, which makes sense as to why I struggled with the vertical lever -- I always had to pick my foot up off the floor. Of course, in hindsight this seems crazy.

Should this be adjusted so that it just touches, or comes within a half inch or so of my knee? And if so, are adjustments (on a Mullen RP) done with that screw...or do I need to get an adaptor?

McHenry, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2012 10:20 am    

This is just me now, but I don't like the X lever up too high. I used it to lower the B's, and usually had my left foot on A&B, or B&C. I like the lever fully engaged while still having the complete ball of my foot on the pedals. On the other hand if it's too low you can tend to press it while moving your foot from pedal to pedal. You're the one who will make this decision while you're adjusting it.

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2012 10:51 am    

I like mine to be just above my knee with as little space as possible. Just enough that when I move from pedal to pedal, it doesn't activate.

To inject a little humor here, when I go from stage to stage, my guitar always needs the back leg(s) adjusted because of the floor/stage to stop it from rocking. I always seem to raise one leg instead of lowering the other. After a while, I find it hard to reach my vertical lever. If I could just remember to lower the one leg instead.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2012 5:11 am    

As someone who never had an LKV yet (that is soon to change Very Happy ) Is there much travel in this lever or should there be much, I am guessing a yes since it is used alot as a major seventh sound and I think I here it alot in slow songs so it would make sense to have a little more travel for the effect it gives.
Ransom Beers

Post  Posted 31 Mar 2012 6:59 am    

I use my vert. quite a bit but since I learned to get the same effect of lowering 5 & 10 with A & B engaged by simply lifting my foot slightly off the A pedal I no longer use the vert. for that,however there are some songs I play that I use it on, especially to slide 3 frets to get a lead into a 5 change or a 4 change.I had mine set to about 1/2 in. off my knee but a fellow I know said that was wrong so I changed it but then I thought"He ain't playin' this thing,I'll set it the way I want".And I will do that as soon as Ithink of it at the time I am. Laughing Laughing Yeah I know it don't make sense but I am!!!
Eddie Lane

Branson, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2012 7:54 am    

I have my vert KL just high enough so that my leg doesn't touch it while moving from pedal to pedal. Also, I set mine while wearing the shoes that I normally play in. If you change shoes it will probably change the setting.