| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  ebay deal-o-the day? - '50s Bakelite w/issues
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2012 12:24 pm    

This might be the vintage tone ticket for the player on a budget http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rickenbacker-Lap-Steel-Bakelite-Model-/270928005287?pt=Guitar&hash=item3f149148a7

It's up for 'best offer', and not from the era the seller states. Plus, the repair is ugly, and may have problems not recognized by the seller. Contact the guy with plenty of questions and if it sounds solid, offer $500 with a stiff argument for your case, he'd be dumb to reject it. I doubt it'll go for the asking price. With the 1K+ prices being asked for Bakelite's these days, this might be worth a shot and end up a good deal. You'll be able to recoup you costs when ready to sell.
G Strout

Carabelle, Florida
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2012 3:38 pm    

Ron, that guitar has been on and off ebay for quite awhile. There was another one that had 2 phillips head screws drilled into the neck joint at an angle to stabilize the neck. I would avoid it at ANY cost.... well ok maybe 250.00
gary
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2012 5:34 pm    

It must have been priced higher, I hadn't clicked on it before.
As always, it's buyer beware, and especially in a case like this the seller needs to be grilled. But I'd be willing to deal if he agreed to accept a return should it not be as he stated, and I'm about as skeptical as they come. If worse came to worse, the neck could be seperated and rejoined properly.
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2012 9:58 am    

FWIW, it's not a 1930's model as possibly implied by the seller. At the earliest it's a late 40's and probably a 1950's model BD, as opposed to a B6. A common error made by those not knowledgeable about the brand.

Just to properly identify the vintage, not comment on anyone else's brouhaha.

Carry on, gentlemen.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2012 12:00 pm    

This is why I mentioned that fact, figuring it would give a prospective buyer another leg up in negotiations. Every little bit helps in dealing with sellers.
Another good reason to consider this guitar is the good parts alone can be worth more than $500, and necks have been up for auction before or could be found elsewhere with any luck. So for a nice overall price this could become a winner, especially if it ends up sounding sweeter than others.
David Matzenik

Cairns, on the Coral Sea
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2012 3:56 pm    

I went this route when I first got interested in Hawaiian steel. Bought a cheap Bakelite and fixed it up. It plays well and has a superb tone, but I wouldn't recommend that process to anyone unless they were very talented in the restoration department. If I had 4 or 5 hundred to spend on that guitar I would borrow the addition funds and look for a 7 stringer in really good condition. And if anyone is considering such a purchase, remember they (the guitars, not the purchaser Wink ) always look better in photographs.

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2012 4:47 pm    

David, what problems did you encounter with your's that leaves you leary?
I covered some of what you address in my excellant reply that was deleted by the secret service, but I don't see anything concerning the B6 in question that would be beyond access to the average buyer. Other than the neck, it look's good, and the neck can be replaced or repaired if need be, not a biggie for some. It always hinges on proper communications with any seller so the buyer knows what he's getting into and isn't a crap shoot.
David Matzenik

Cairns, on the Coral Sea
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2012 1:37 am    

Ron, I didn't actually encounter any problems, but then I am an extremely handy person and I had access to all kinds of materials and tools. For bakelite repair I used epoxy resin died black and "filled" with powdered silica called Cabosil. It buffed out well. As you say the neck could be replaced but then you are getting into some money which kind of negates the advantage of the low price. The seller there says the neck is intact. I believe he is wrong. The tongue within the body probably cracked inside the heel.

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2012 8:18 am    

Good points, David, and thanx for the repair tips. I've seen necks sell in a rather wide range of costs, so with any luck one can be had for a nice price, and hitting up our little community here could make that even less painful. The generousity of the steel community never fails to amaze.