| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  website for Melbert lap steels
oj hicks

Springville, AL
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2012 10:42 pm    

I've seen several posts concerning the value and excellence of Melbert lap steels. Can anyone provide their URL?

Thanks

oj hicks
Kekoa Blanchet

Kaua'i
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2012 1:48 am    

Here you are, OJ.

http://www.musonmt.com/
oj hicks

Springville, AL
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2012 6:37 am    

Thanks, Kekoa. A very impressive AX. Looks like quality all the way, and from testimonials it sounds as well as it looks.

oj hicks
Jay Seibert

Woodland, WA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2012 9:35 am    

I have an eight-stringer of Bob's that's burly maple with legs and a humbucker for no/lo noise in my little music studio. Still delivers plenty of highs along with a very silky, throaty tone when asked. I love it and highly recommend a Melbert Steel Guitar! Very Happy
Steve Ahola

Concord, California
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2012 5:39 pm    

Jay Seibert wrote:
I have an eight-stringer of Bob's that's burly maple with legs and a humbucker for no/lo noise in my little music studio. Still delivers plenty of highs along with a very silky, throaty tone when asked. I love it and highly recommend a Melbert Steel Guitar! Very Happy

So did you get a George L or a Bill Lawrence pickup? I have a George L E-66 in my older 8 stringer and a 10-1 in my newer one. The 10-1 is the one designed with Jimmy Day in mind and it has a very clear sound while the Emmons style E-66 has a very throaty sound and can growl like a mother bear!

Bob included one of your Paloma stone steels with my new 8-string and I was very impressed- they are top-notch!

Steve Ahola

Recordings on electric guitar:
http://www.box.net/blue-diamonds
http://www.box.net/the-culprits
Rockne Dick

Bremerton, WA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2012 12:12 am     LS Wood Selection

Guys -
I've read no discussion of the body wood selection and the different hardness upon attenuation of highs/lows. I asked Bob Allen how I could subdue a LITTLE of the treble high with the Lawrence Tru Tone Single Coil PU and he recommended a mahogany vs maple body. I could have asked the same question with a Humbucker and wood selection of course but this is my first LS so am comfortable with this decision.
Any thoughts by you players?
Rockne
Thomas Temple

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2012 5:23 am     Good Guidance

Rockne,

Bob is a straight shooter as well as a talented builder and if you tell him what you are looking for in tone or even the type of music you prefer he won't steer you wrong. I started out with a a curly Maple 6 string and had a Fender lace sensor (blue) put in. The second one I went with the same pup but had it made out of cherry and got a slightly "warmer' tone. My taste in music sort of gravitates toward "mellow" (Sleepwalk, Tenderly, Over the Rainbow etc.) so the one being built now (8 string) is Cypress with a George L10-1. I am sure that when you get it in your hands you'll be grinning ear to ear.

Tom