| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hopspitality for Gary Miles
Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2005 4:24 pm    

We had more suprise talents show up at our recent DSSGA event this past Saturday-June 4. One of which was Gary Miles. We had filled all the slots on the program. One of our scheduled performers graciously allowed Gary to join up with him on his set. This is the hospitality of unselfishishness I am so proud to see in the performers here in Gulfport. I only wished I could have requested someone to give Gary some exposure, but I just could not invade anyone's program. I am leaving this person unnamed as I want Gary to have that honor and to thank him personally. Gary's playing electrified the crowd and his personality and humble friendship to us all was greatly appreciated. Gary is the shades of Randolph, but most certainely not in his shadow. This steel guitarist is a rising star in our beloved steel guitar world and it was a great pleasure for all of us, and especially me, to have him on our stage. Next program Gary will be one of our feature performers.
Joe Wright was another surprise show up. More about this program later.
Bob Saxton blew me away when I saw him getting out of his car. And we almost "worked" his fingers to the bone as everyone wanted Bob on their set. Saxton and Hughey-never gets any better than that folks. And Bob now lives in Mississippi not so far away so we will have the honor of his presence often at our DSSGA events.(Bob is one of the star performers at that great guitar thumb picking convention every year in Tn.)Wow, just to have those Saxton/Atkins sounds coming from our band stand was the best ever.
And yet another surprise show was Doc Hearl. Another great guitarist with some of the purest tone I have ever heard from a guitar-G & L of course.
It was an afternoon of class and quality music. Sound system duties and equipment by Ben O'Dell sufficed to the max. Thanks to all.

Bill Stafford
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2005 4:32 pm    

Is that the same Doc Hearl that lived in the Virginia Beach area back in the 80's?
Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2005 2:17 am    

Gary Miles! What a surprise! I hate I had to leave early on Saturday but I did get to play with Gary the Friday night before at Lakeside. MSA 12-string tuned in D6th. He sat between myself and Joe Wright while we were jamming. He played steel,bass and drums and even sang. Gary gets some interesting licks out the D6th tuning. Been knowing Bob Saxton since the days I was crawling around in diapers playing in guitar cases when he was pickin' with my father. Bob's right up there at the top with all of the great guitar pickers. And yes, Ben O'Dell is right up there also with some of the best bass players in the country. He also deserves a lot of credit with the time and effort he puts into these shows. Thanks Ben!
Roy Ayres

Riverview, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2005 7:19 am    

I spent quite a bit of time talking to Gary Miles. I said, "Gary, you play a lot of instruments and do a good job on all of them. Which is your favorite instrument?" To my surprise, he answered, "Tenor Sax." Quite an impressive young man and just what we need to help make steel guitar fans out of the younger generation. I'm convinced that people like Joe Wright, Robert Randolph and Gary Miles will make it happen.

And the show wouldn't have been the same without Bob Saxton. Wow! What a guitarist.

I repeat once more: the Best Gulfport show yet. Let's do it again!

------------------

Visit my Web Site at RoysFootprints.com
Browse my Photo Album and be sure to sign my Guest Book.

Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2005 8:28 pm    

Gary used to live near me here in Southern California. All of his friends here miss him and his incredible music very much. You guys are lucky to have him down there...He's a great guy/great player!

Here's his website: http://garymiles.com/
Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2005 12:22 pm    

Here are some words from Gary MIles. He wants all to know how much he appreciated this past weekend down south. We are very glad to have him in our area Rick. Quite a talent!
Quote- "A Day to Remember" by Gary Miles:

"In a day to remember one name stands out in my mind. Mr Howard Tate. Although all the slots on the show were filled, Mr. Tate invited me up to join his show and we played side by side. It was the most wonderful musical experience that I ever encountered. Thank you Howard for showing your love for me and the Steel Guitar Association. However, because of your willingness to let me show my D6/9 tuning, Mr. Bill Stafford made me an honorary member of the steel guitar family. Also it gave me Mr. Dewitt Scott as my mentor. This is a day to remember. A special thanks to Mr. R.J. Buras for inviting me up to the catfish restaurant for the first night of music fun. I thank all the Steelers for showing me a warm welcome. What a Day to Remember. Thank you Mr. Howard Tate for sharing your stage with me. Your new friend, Gary Miles"

Gary, it was our pleasure. You are a class act and gentleman. Keep up the good work. Hope to see you and all your instruments soon. Can't wait to get you on the band stand with John Heinrich and all his horns too. That will be another day to remember.
Thanks to the forum for allowing all this to transpire.

Bill Stafford
Howard Tate

Leesville, Louisiana, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2005 3:02 pm    

Gary is a friendly young man who plays with a lot of enthusiasm. I noticed he does not use a volune pedal, pretty unusual for psg.

------------------
Howard, 'Les Paul Recording, Zum S12U, Vegas 400, Boss ME-5, Boss DM-3, DD-3, Sierra Session D-10
http://www.Charmedmusic.com

Reggie Duncan

Mississippi
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2005 4:56 am    

I am sorry that I had to leave before Gary, Howard, Bobby, and Roy played. I did get to jam a little with Gary at Lakeside on Friday night. WHAT A GREAT SURPRISE! So very talented. So, humble!

Gary came to me at the Deep South Show the next day with a picture from the night at Lakeside. It was of Billy Carr, Gary Miles, Joe Wright and me. He wanted me to autograph the picture for him. I was very honored to have played beside these great players and very honored to sign the picture.

See ya soon my friend!

[This message was edited by Reggie Duncan on 11 June 2005 at 05:57 AM.]

Roland Buras

Kiln, MS, 45 miles east of New Orleans off I-10 USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2005 9:40 pm    

Yes that Gary Miles is a great soulful player and his heart is in the instrument. I really enjoyed his playing. I got to listen to his entire album today and Gary miles is one good picker with a great feel for the blues. Gary became a member of the DSSGA club last Saturday. Gary my Friend i want to welcome you to the Gulfcoast Steel guitar club and looking forward to you being with us in August. Gary also is very skillful on the Bass Guitar and the Drums. I also hear he play tenor Saxaphone. again Welcome Gary..

R J Buras
Jeff Blackwell

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2005 6:45 am    

How did I miss Gary Miles all of my life? Where did Bill Stafford find Gary?
I didn't get to hear him on Friday night, and when he showed up Saturday the 4th in Gulfport, I had no idea where he would fit into the schedule.
Thanks to Howard Tate, we were able to get Gary on stage and his style of playing simply mesmerized me. Country, no doubt... with a lot of soul and blues.

------------------
Jeff Blackwell
Emmons D-10 LeGrande - Nashville 400

Having a steel guitar show you want to promote? Add it to the calendar at www.steelguitargear.com

Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2005 12:32 pm    

Yes, Jeff, Gary was a breath of "fresh air" on that stage. R.J. Buras was the man responsible for having Gary in town for that weekend-starting Friday night at his Lakeside restaurant.And special thanks to Howard Tate for sharing his progralm with Gary. This unselfish spirit is just the best. Wow, having him sitting next to Joe Wright that night only led to the good times we had on Saturday during our DSSGA session. And then added to that special talent, in walked the great Bob Saxton and that led to a very enjoyable afternoon and night of great picking. Good things are happening down south thanks to all you guys. And that old axiom must be true, "...build a good ball park, and they will come...". This time we also had Scotty and John Hughey and Doc Hearl. Seems to be working. See you all again on Aug. 6. Start planning. We have plans in the makings for another good time.
Bill Stafford
DeWitt Scott

St. Louis, Missouri, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2005 7:18 pm    

I have a CD of Gary's playing and I have to admit that it is different from the regular steel guitar music we have been hearing. I also agree that Gary is full of life and it shows in his playing. A nice experience for me have heard him on both Friday night and again on Saturday. I wish him a lot of luck with his career and I hope to see on other shows. Scotty