| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rogue ea-3
Jim Hofman

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2012 11:51 am    

I just ordered one yesterday, along with a jersey lighting for my first foray into lap steel. On the ea-3 does anybody know what size the tuners are? I am looking to replace those. Also would a short telecaster bridge with brass saddles be good on it?

Also looking at putting one of these in it:
http://www.guitarfetish.com/Lil-Killer-White-Humbucker-Humbucker-Strats-3-Versions-Available_p_463.html.

Any help would be appreicated.

Thanks.

ps....got the red ea-3 and the white jersey. thinking of sanding and painting the ea-3 white. I heard some where the black ones play better, but, will see.
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2012 1:07 pm    

Save on extra expenditures and see if steel is in your blood, if so, pass the Rogue onto someone else and invest in a great steel.
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2012 3:35 pm    

I would wait until you have the steel in hand before deciding which upgrades (if any) you want to do. The tuners used on that steel appear to be standard Kluson-style tuners. Do a search for "rogue jersey lightning" in this forum for many discussions on upgrading and updating these instruments.
Rockne Dick

Bremerton, WA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2012 8:37 pm     Rogue Steels

Jim -
I looked at both the EA-3 and the "Lightning" model at a local pawn shop and noticed right away that the EA-3 had cheap tuners without any metal sleeve bushings to allow smooth tuning. The "Lightning model was an upgrade overall. I wouldn't spend any money upgrading the EA-3.
After info from members on this site, I ordered a Melbert 8 due in a couple weeks.
Rocky
Steve Ahola

Concord, California
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2012 2:59 am    

The big selling point of the EA-3 is that it comes with 3 legs. (I've bought 3 of them so far and have been using the legs and sockets on other steels.) The stock strat style pickup was nothing to write home about. It is mounted in a large metal plate which makes it more difficult to replace with a different size pickup. I would go with a dual coil strat style pickup for the humbucking quality, not for excessive gain. (FWIW I put SD strat style pickups in my two Rondo SX's- a Hot Rails in one and the little PAF in the other- and was pleased with the results.)

The headstock is slotted and the tuners are cheap but they do work (I think that tuners make a bigger difference on a regular guitar.) IMO the big drawback is the short scale. I'd recommend putting the narrowest bridge that you could find (or make) as close to the end of the steel as possible. And make a new nut and mount that closer to the tuners to maximize the scale length. Get a self-stick cut-to-fit fretboard from GeorgeBoards or whoever else would sell the length that you need.

As for the Rogue Jersey Lightning they are pretty good right out of the box. Make sure that the nuts holding the tuners are tight (mine weren't.) The humbucker is very good for a lap steel. You get nice clean sounds from a low gain setting on your amp, and it gets a really nice growl when you crank up the gain on your amps. (I'm not usually impressed by cheap Chinese pickups but IMO this one is a keeper.)

Steve Ahola

Recordings on electric guitar:
http://www.box.net/blue-diamonds
http://www.box.net/the-culprits