| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Question about Bobbe Seymour
Freddie Wooton

London, ky
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2012 8:16 pm    

This question is for Bobbe or anyone who might know the answer. How long after the table saw accident was he able to play the steel guitar again. I had the same thing happen to me. Fred
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2012 8:25 pm    

... and will he ever be able to play the violin again?
Gary Reed

Post  Posted 29 Feb 2012 8:33 pm    

Fred,
Email Bobbe, I'll bet he'll spend time with you.
Freddie Wooton

London, ky
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2012 8:48 pm    

Jim, I can't answer you about playing the violin. I was just curious about how long it took Bobbe to play steel again and since I have had to have all four of the fingers on my left hand re-attached I was wondering how long to expect to be playing again if ever. Fred
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2012 9:10 pm    

Freddie Wooton wrote:
...since I have had to have all four of the fingers on my left hand re-attached I was wondering how long to expect to be playing again if ever. Fred

You're a good man, Fred. With your attitude, you'll be back at it long before your doctors ever expected.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2012 8:06 am    

Very Happy
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2012 8:50 am     It may have been different for me.....................

From the time I was but a small youth.....my parents pounded it into MY HEAD to be extremely careful and "don't do anything" that would risk damaging my fangers. I was repeatedly warned about my handling of a coping (sp?) saw......... however I did nearly amputate the end of my right middle finger with a double edged X-Acto knife.

I'd like to inquire if you guys on the injured list have ANY IDEA about what you did WRONG!?? Kind of a WARNING to those who haven't yet done what you did already.
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2012 9:04 am    

I've never damaged my hands in any way with tools, but I understand from friends who have done so that it is usually the result of over confidence, familiarity, a drop in concentration, and a lapse of respect for the power tool. Anyone who behaves cavalierly with a high speed cutting tool does so at his own peril.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2012 9:07 am    

When I started playing PSG in my Junior year of high school, I had a fear of breaking something where I couldn't play. Consequently, I missed out on a lot of opportunities to do stuff with friends, like skiing, etc. I'm glad I was o cautious as some of my friends would invariably break something that would have stopped me (for a while) from playing. We REALLY have to be careful in the activities we indulge in.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2012 9:18 am    

In 1976 someone persuaded me to accompany them to a course of motor-cycle instruction; I'd always hated them (much to my dad's consternation - he had a Vincent Black Shadow!!!) but I went - then went over the handlebars at my first 'emergency stop' attempt and badly shattered my left wrist (I managed something called a 'Smith's fracture, apparently).

I was booked for a fortnight-long album project with Neil Innes that very week at Rockfield Studio and, with my arm in a cast that wrapped all the way past my elbow, there wasn't going to be much guitar-or-steel playing in my immediate future.

Neil, like the gentleman he is, still insisted I was to be there and I did nothing but backing vocals for the whole time! He still got me in the studio later to overdub lots of stuff and the results are on his 'Taking Off' album. I did lose money from the accident but Neil saw to it that I didn't lose his booking.

I have never gone near a motor-cycle since and I never will - I even wear a crash-helmet to watch TV these days. I've become a right Nancy-Boy, but I live in fear of a critical injury.
Dean Edwards

Naples,FL & Natrona Hts, PA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2012 9:38 am     Lighting for power tools

Always make sure that you have an incandescent bulb lighting your tools.
That way you won't get the strobe effect (from a flourescent) that makes a blade appear to be standing still.
Flourescents are O.K. , but only if you have an incandescent also.
Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2012 11:29 am    

Don't try to cut little pieces of wood with big saw blades...

Not on a chop saw, not on a saw horse, not on a radial arm, never. Cut the little piece off of a big piece. Dont try to make a little piece smaller.

If need be.... Start over again with a new piece of wood.

I have the zipper on the back of my left thumb and other scars to prove it.

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2012 12:35 pm    

I've worked in the lumber industry since '77'...taking care of band saw's up to 56 feet long, 12 inches wide with teeth on both edges...thank the Lord I still have all of my fingers, though I've been cut and bleeding more times then I care too...can't even imagine what it would be like to loose one...
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com
Bill Bertinot

Burlington Ky
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2012 10:37 pm     Freddie

I had a friend of mine who was a very accomplished jazz guitarist, cut his thumb completely off in a saw accident. We were shocked when it happened. The thumb was reattached, and he regained almost full use, and has since played with some of the top jazz musicians in LA!

So, keep a positive attitude and don't let anyone around you think otherwise!
Freddie Wooton

London, ky
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2012 7:48 am    

The one piece of advice I can offer is not to use wool gloves the kind with the little rubber knobs on them that allow you to grip with. I thought I was doing everything correct using a push stick and so on. I guess I got out of focus with the bifocals. The blade grabbed my hand by the glove and fliped it over backwards and raked my hand right across the blade. There's not as much meat on the back of the hand.This happened 17 days ago so I went back to the surgeon yesterday in Louisville,Ky, she took off the cast and removed the stiches but I won't get the steel rods out of my fingers for about 5 more weeks. The middle finger looks like there's no hope for it the others look like they'll be OK after a lot of PT. At least there's still four of them. Fred
Bill Rowlett

Russellville, AR, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2012 11:10 am    

Freddie,

I sustained a serious knife cut on my left thumb some years age due to some horseplay with a family member. I had little feeling past the cut for about a year, but it has completely regenerated the nerve path and I no longer notice it.

Always keep working at it. I have even seen friends with stroke damage play again because they kept trying.

Good luck

Bill
Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2012 1:28 pm    

Freddie, working in sawmills most of my working life, I've seen more then my share of injuries, and most of them to the hands...and I agree, gloves can certainly contribute worse accidents by pulling your hand in further...I work work with bandsaws all day long and rairly use gloves, I tend to be a little more careful with my bare hands then my protected hands...Anyhow, I'm sorry about your hand and pray your recovery is succesful, best of luck to you.
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com
Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2012 1:28 pm    

I lost the end of my index finger on the right hand along with some nerve damage. Also almost lost my thumb and middle finger on same hand. I've lost a lot of dexterity and speed. I have resorted to using a strait pick, but oh well I can still play so I guess I should feel lucky. As soon as I was able I started squeezing a rubber ball. That really helped.
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.