| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hex tuning problem, help!
Larry Otis

Napa, California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2012 7:04 am    

So I am pretty new to PSG. Particularly the mechanics. I have an older restored MSA 12. The 4th string will not hex tune with the C pedal. It's tight and will barely turn. It has the sleeve/nylon hex arrangement. How do you adjust these so they tune smooth and accurate. I got 2 gigs this weekend and I am gonna have to avoid the C pedal if I cant get it. Thanks. Larry
Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2012 7:12 am    

You need a little more travel on that pull. Look under the guitar, make sure the bellcrank for that pull is not slipping on the shaft and the it's straight up, not tilted toward the changer end of the guitar. If it is tilted or loose, that reduces the travel, adjust as needed. Make sure the bellcrank is tight on the shaft.
Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2012 7:35 am    

It could be that the tuning nut has run out of threads on the pull rod- if so you should see a substantial amount of the rod sticking out from the hex nut. If that is the case- loosen the nut so that the rod is in it about 1/2 way, then loosen the brass rod keeper in the bellcrank with an allen wrench and slide the rod in further, tighten it and readjust the hex nut.