| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A Small Tribute To The Jody Nix Family
Fred Shannon

Rocking "S" Ranch, Comancheria, Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2012 11:10 pm    

My association with the Nix family began years before Jody was born. I had already gone into a service career when he arrived. Uncle Hoyle and his brother Ben cranked up their band in about 1946 I believe. I was a 14 year old cowboy here in west Texas when they began and had been taking standard guitar lessons from one Don Tolle since I was 10. The Nix family was a big encouragement to all the youngsters who had stars in their eyes about playing in a band. Hoyle was one of the best, if not the best, fiddle players in the state and brother Ben had a tremendous singing voice. They never hired anyone who was not the best of players and the band remains the same under the leadershilp of Jody Nix.I have never known the band to not have a steel player. But to the core of this story. As long as Uncle Hoyle was alive I never knew the band to ever play any genre of music except Western Swing etc. Hoyle and Jody both were great followers of the King of Western Swing, Bob Wills. Since Hoyle passed on to his rewards, Jody has maintained his true allegiance to the music everyone in this part of the world loves, Western Swing. There has been several occasions when Jody could have chunked it all for the modern music, and made better money, but he has stood fast in his musical beliefs. For that I thank him very much. It took guts and much intestinal fortitude to pass up the big bucks by ditching the music and the Nix Family fans. In short Jody we love ya' man for being true to the type music we really care for. We gotchur' back little brother!!!

Phred

Think about it!!
Greg Stasny

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2012 11:06 am    

You can always count on Jody and his band to give an outstanding peformance. Enthusiasm and talent are center stage!
Milton C. Willmann

Spring Branch, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2012 11:20 am    

Jody Nix, a professional lover of "The" music. Everybody dance!

This is a great article by Mr. Jody Nix.

http://www.bobwills.com/nix.html

Yuma,Ariz.USA Yeah they say it's a DRY heat !!
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2012 7:39 am    

This is such a GREAT story!!
I guarantee you will NOT read this story & keep your eyes dry..Jody is such a great writer he makes you feel as if you were there with him.
Thanks for this link.
Ron

We need to turn the TWANG up a little

It's not what you play through, it's what you play through it.

They say that tone is all in the fingers...I say it is all in your head Smile

Some of the best pieces of life are the little pieces all added up..Ron

the value of friendship. Old friends shine like diamonds, you can always call them and - most important - you can't buy them.
Fred Shannon

Rocking "S" Ranch, Comancheria, Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2012 4:10 pm    

Guarantee you Jody's part was heartfelt.

phred

Think about it!!