| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Finger picks
Al Carey

Dublin, NH USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2012 6:02 am    

in the palm blocking middle finger thread, there's a pic showing a pick hand(who's?)

Anyway, the finger picks stick out WAY beyond the tips of his fingers. Is that typical? I'm basically a self-taught beginner, and I've been wearing the pick more or less flush with the fingertips.

Al
Cameron Mitchell

New York, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2012 7:20 am    

I'm curious about this too, Al. I've been playing with National finger picks that tend to wrap around my finger and follow the curvature of it. I've noticed too that some picks stick straight out way past the finger. As a newbie and longtime guitarist, the picks being close to flush feel most comfortable. I'd like to hear the opinions of others though, because maybe I'm doing it wrong!

Cameron

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2012 7:35 am    

There really is no right or wrong. Some players prefer them "close", and some prefer them to stick out quite a bit. It's purely personal preference, but the further they do extend, the more the chance of them getting tangled in the strings, or coming off! What you want is comfort and control, so each player will have to decide what's right for him/her.
Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2012 7:44 am    

Those are Jeff Newman's hands. If you want to save a lot of time and frustration, I'd suggest getting Jeff's "Right Hand Alpha" course. He was a great player and teacher of the pedal steel guitar.
Erich Meisberger

Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2012 8:15 am    

My tone and sustain improved dramatically when I switched from heavily bent picks worn flush with fingertips to less bent ones.
I think the notes ring more purely when struck by the blade of the pick only. Also, the added reach is handy,certain grips are easier(10,8,3), and raking the strings is easier as well.
Just a newbies experience FWIW.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2012 8:20 am    

What Bill said. Except, #1 is Jeff's and #3 is Buddy Emmons. Those two are some of the best right hands in the business for sure. Not sure about #2.

Some great examples of how many professional players wear their picks further out on the tips.
Al Carey

Dublin, NH USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2012 9:10 am    

thanks for the responses, guys. I'll check out the Newman material, and experiment with pick placement